News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Apples in Stereo

Started by Tim-Æ, August 04, 2008, 05:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Ok, I might get a lot of flack for this, but what the hell. sometimes you have to listen to music that is SO FAR removed from what you typically listen to, that its a nice touch for a change of scenery.

now, Tim's normal ventures, usually fall somewhere in the rock/alt rock/prog rock/indie rock realms, with a bit of psychadelics and blues rock and garage rock. So for me to go in the pop rock realm is unthinkable usually. But the Apples in Stereo are not exactly one of my favorite bands. I dig them. I'd probably go to one of their live shows if they were in Lawrence. Buy a shirt? probably not. buy an album.....maybe. If it was cheap.

So the gist of these guys if you haven't heard of them is this: they are the ultimate happy music in the world. These guys are critically defined as a combination of the Beatles, Beach Boys, as well as a whole bunch of other 60s bands and just mixes it together to create a sonic waterfall of positive vibes. The lead singers voice can be annoying at times to me, but there's two vocalists, one male and one female. I prefe the females voice actually but it is mimicked a lot nowadays.

Their most recent record is "New Magnetic Wonder" but there's also a B-Sides album out called "Electronic Projects for Musicians" which has the first song I was introduced to, which was called "Shine (In Your Mind)" which instantly made me feel happier, which sounds super gay and all, but I'm not kidding. If this song can make a cynical bastard like myself not so cynical, than they have potential. Now die hard fans will say "I like their old stuff better lolz" but honestly, the band has become better over time. Their old material is bland and hardly even decipherable because of bad production and mastering.

I recommend this only to people who are avid fans of the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc, and who are looking for generally positve pop rock music that has a little bit of electronica injected into it.