News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

I don't get why

Started by Dave Johnson, August 05, 2008, 08:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Johnson

I don't understand why producers and movies these days create a second movie and than third movies and all that.

For example;

Austin Powers, that had like what? 5?
Saw (just keeps going and going)
Shrek

Now IMO, I think its for the money, but most movies that are created are a huge hit, than they follow up with a second and that is a fail. Tries to compete with the first movie created but just doesn't work, look at Shrek. The first one was killer, the second and especially the third failed miserably.

It wrecks the first great movie IMO and the following movie needs to be thought out better and has to be really something to top.

If this made no sense, than sorry.

Ally

In the old days films had the decency to start at the 4th do the 5th, wait years for the 6th then wait decades to do 1, 2 and 3!

I never make predictions, and I never will.

Zombie Gunn

I'd agree to an extent.  Certain movies exist specifically for a series.  The Bourne Series, LOTR, Matrix, Police Academy, etc.  Well, maybe not Police Academy.  But still... some movies need more because they're so damn good.

Black Death

well some are part of a bigger story and some are made to take you back to the characters and see were they are now.  Sequels tend to fail because maybe the story not well written and it was put together just to cash in or like you said people do not like them and perfer the original. but some movies have been a sucess in the pockets of the movie execs.  Sherk 2 and 3 made alot of money.  but there have been good Sequels  , Aliens by james cameron ,  He did it right unstead of doing something like the original, he took the Ripley and the Aliens and expanded , added in the marines , show his more about the aliens and add the queen ,  you know the movie rock.   T2

Resident Evil , I like the next two, I know it did not follow the game to the T, but it keep the key element of the game and weave a story around them.  It in the unvierse and uses the character , always saw it as what if type of story 

Hellboy 2. 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

Austin Powers are always funny. The more the better.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

T Jay

I don't know, I sometimes like sequels that others think were not so great. I'm pretty sure a lot of it on the producers end is for money, now on the writers end, it's just to tell a story. I've dipped my hands in to the screen writing process, I often do it in my free time. But I think if your going to make a trilogy you had better know it before the first movie is made, this way you don't throw everything you've got in to the first film and then try to make two more from nothing. In order to make a trilogy work you have to have on major goal that the character tries to reach in three movies, with other minor goals in each as well.

Look at it like this, had Lord of The Rings came out with one movie, and at the end Frodo pitches the ring in the fire.... then it would have been crazy freakin' hard for them to go back and make two more films. Couldn't really go back to before everything that might be boring. Couldn't really go back and show their adventures, cause, we already saw it. So there wouldn't be much to do.

But Dave your right, for a producer aspect it's mostly a money thing. If the first movie was good, then they'll most likely do a second. Kevin Smith once said that it doesn't matter how shitty your movie is, if you turn even a little profit, then your good at what you do.

So in sense quite a bit of that business is about making money, and not a great film.