MFX Podcast Show/Feedback Thread.

Started by Duckman, December 22, 2011, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Reb

Might I suggest a "table of contents" per say for each episode?  For example in your "MFX XXX - Preview" thread you could have something like:

0:00-10:00 - Intro/Ian's Poker Night
10:00-26:43 - Topic Change
etc...

Duckman

A good suggestion man, but not something we could do.  In a 3 hour show, that's a shit lot of listing to do!

I try to give a basic outline in the current preview post.  Also, that preview post feeds into our RSS feed (which links to Stitcher and ITunes, so the show descriptions would be huge on those platforms). 

Plus, a lot of people don't like to know what's on the show to that detail and rather listen and discover it themselves.  Part of the advice I was given by someone who does this professionally, is when marketing these things is to not go into that much detail.  Keeping it somewhat short and sweet gives people enough of an idea about what's on the show, without going into too much detail and moving into spoiler territory.

I actually asked about this as an idea and was advised that you wouldn't break a movie or TV show down into that level of detail, same with a podcast.

I do like suggestions like this though man.  Thanks for that.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

J-Reb

Quote from: Duckman on February 17, 2015, 11:02:13 AM
A good suggestion man, but not something we could do.  In a 3 hour show, that's a shit lot of listing to do!

I try to give a basic outline in the current preview post.  Also, that preview post feeds into our RSS feed (which links to Stitcher and ITunes, so the show descriptions would be huge on those platforms). 

Plus, a lot of people don't like to know what's on the show to that detail and rather listen and discover it themselves.  Part of the advice I was given by someone who does this professionally, is when marketing these things is to not go into that much detail.  Keeping it somewhat short and sweet gives people enough of an idea about what's on the show, without going into too much detail and moving into spoiler territory.

I actually asked about this as an idea and was advised that you wouldn't break a movie or TV show down into that level of detail, same with a podcast.

I do like suggestions like this though man.  Thanks for that.

No problem.  I finally broke down and gave the show a listen (after all the hubbub last week, figured might as well - I had a long drive).  I generally don't enjoy podcasts and I quickly remembered why: in a "general subject" podcast, you're listening for 3 (picked the number out of thin air) hours for approximately 30 minutes or so of something you're interested in.

For example; the poker bit at the beginning of 113.  I couldn't care any less about poker, period, which is fine, but had I known XYZ was coming up in a few minutes, I would have plodded through.

Just one man's opinion, which means jack - still subscribed and get the download each week.  I can appreciate the hard work that goes in to making this every week and will listen as I have an opportunity.  Thanks for the response!

Adam Wrong

If I go to the pub with my mates, we will talk about a variety of subjects. Some I am interested in and some I am not. That's the way I view this podcast. It's a chat about a variety of subjects of which there will be something for everybody and an irreverent style of humour that bonds the lot together. And they spoke of my town during the discussion about the people aspiring to live where I live... :)

J-Reb

Quote from: Adam Wrong on February 17, 2015, 11:55:33 AM
If I go to the pub with my mates, we will talk about a variety of subjects. Some I am interested in and some I am not. That's the way I view this podcast. It's a chat about a variety of subjects of which there will be something for everybody and an irreverent style of humour that bonds the lot together. And they spoke of my town during the discussion about the people aspiring to live where I live... :)

What?  What is this voluntarily leaving your house thing you speak of?  I've been in my mom's basement for the last 10 years.

Chris Stern

Quote from: J-Reb on February 17, 2015, 12:05:31 PM
What?  What is this voluntarily leaving your house thing you speak of?  I've been in my mom's basement for the last 10 years.

You live in the basement? huh what a novel concept, I always seen basements as the place you hide the freaky sex dungeon and store the umm.. "willing" participants in the festivities..

Alex Smiley

Quote from: Chris Stern on February 17, 2015, 01:33:24 PM
You live in the basement? huh what a novel concept, I always seen basements as the place you hide the freaky sex dungeon and store the umm.. "willing" participants in the festivities..

aka the dolphins

Right, lemme start with the usual formalities, here are your Phrases That Pay for MFX114:

"Not a molar between them"

"You won't take a selfie with a swan"

"National Lampoon's Bird Sanctuary"

"He doesn't even have a plaque"

"How much does he pay for his Jesus?"

"More Skeletors in their He-Man closets"

"Why did I spend so long looking for a mirror?"

"Roman Reigns never needed to cuddle"

"Until I met a really erotic goldfish"

"Fifty Shades of Tuna"

Now, about this week's THROW award...

[spoiler]It was definitely a good one. I came THIS close to submitting it myself, but I would've (unwisely) nominated Gawker. My reasoning for that is, I saw Gawker trying hard to do "tough journalism" by essentially being a bunch of douchebags online, and being outed as just that. However, seeing as they might have won that argument by having Coca-Cola shut the whole thing down, my nomination probably would've been unfounded.

So, kudos to Duckman on that one lol.[/spoiler]

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Drama Queen

Great show again lads.

I am sooooo with Ian on the principle of boycotting big clubs and sky sports. Consider the premiership added to nestle, monsanto, Walmart and meat (particularly peacock meat) on my to-don't list  ;D

Interesting about the documentary, it kind of reminds me of how political parties over here put out stupid attacks against themselves so that they can heroically defend their stances like martyrs.

Oh and I actually bought the face shirt along with the heel. I was inspired by big show :)

BamBamBunglow

WAITACOTTONPICKINGROOTIN'TOOTIN'MINUTE!

Something has just been brought to my attention regarding the Try Hard Ruler award... how is it Try Hardian?

After looking at the article myself, I see no evidence of Try Hardianism...ism. Coca Cola made something cool, then a bunch of trolls fed it lines from Mein Kampf. Yes, it failed... but how is it Coke's fault? There's no "Try hard and failing spectacularly because you're a dumb twat" part of it... It failed because humans always want to destroy something beautiful...

... Something's fishy here MFX Galaxy. SOMEONE CALL HUNCH!

ToneCold

Mixed thoughts on the Football/boycotting thing. I already do same with WWcEna in terms of boycotting and also football in general.

But the whole thing about the money going into grassroots... way I see it, if the clubs are companies, helping fund football at grassroots is really an investment by them for the future that will help them and the game in the long term.
Investors and shareholders, if they're smart, should recognise this. Also would it not be in the interests of some of the clubs to have upcoming talent they can also send to the England or other National teams. If I were involved in that and one of my players were called up for a National side, I'd be promoting the hell outta that.
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

Duckman

You're right Tone, but the problem is the big clubs are so short sighted these days.  They don't want to invest and grow.  They want quick success, so they buy players someone else has trained for a huge price and try to get that instant success. 

Look at Southampton as the perfect example. If they'd have kept their top players over the last 5-8 years, they'd probably have won the league -Walcot, Bale, Oxlaide Chamberline, Lalana, Shaw etc - so many great players they trained and brought through.  Then again, the money those players brought in, will probably keep the club going for years. 

There's also this weird trade off with the big clubs sending a lot of their youth players down the leagues to get experience, but then simply buying the best players when they come along.  I'm sure I read somewhere Chelsea have over 25 players in the championship and league one, hardly any of them will ever get in the Chelsea first team, but they might help some other team win promotion.

With so much money in the Premier and Champions League, they don't care about the national team either.

I can see both sides of the argument but when everyone is thinking short term success, the grass roots of the sport is completely disregarded by those at the top.

Also I can't believe Bam Bam is calling the integrity of a historic institution like the Try Hard Academy into question.  It's been around since the 80s!!! :)

This is probably exactly what Taker did to Brock after WM!
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

Hey, hey, hey, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Try Hardian Academy!

What I'm saying, Brother, is that after a string of terrible nominations, maybe Sir Ian grasped onto the funniest one like a drowning man grabbing onto a rubber ring without fully thinking through whether the situation was, indeed, Try Hardian. Sometimes calling audibles just don't work out well, Jack.

(The previous statement is best read in a Sir Ian Hulk Hogan voice).

ToneCold

Yeah that does seem to be a problem, Short-term success heavily focussed on and probably at the detriment of the longterm. It's even creeping into a few other sports too, but most prevalent in football where it feels like every other week there's a report of a manager being sacked within a month of being taken on.
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

Brock Rhysner

Quote from: Duckman on February 18, 2015, 05:40:45 AM
Also I can't believe Bam Bam is calling the integrity of a historic institution like the Try Hard Academy into question.  It's been around since the 80s!!! :)

This is probably exactly what Taker did to Brock after WM!

Yeah, but one of those 'wins' was by DQ to Giant Gonzales after he got KO'ed with chloroform... As for Dolly's buoy (ha, the wit...), I can just see his dating profile now:

Tagline: Hydrophilliac wants to make you wet!
Username: Aquaman6969
Profession: Filmmaker/Writer
Favorite food: mackerel
Favorite films: Flipper, Free Willy and Swordfish.
Kinkiest thing you're willing to admit: Really into Watersports.

[/centre]

Goldferg

Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.