News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Blame the Rock

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, March 12, 2012, 11:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

QuoteAs previously reported, it’s rumored that The Miz will be involved in this the Rock vs. John Cena match at WrestleMania 28 in some capacity.

Miz successfully defended the WWE Title against Cena at WrestleMania 27, and the company is said to have a storyline ready for The Miz after WrestleMania. His recent losing streak is said to be part of the groundwork for the storyline.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Gary

Fucking hope so, I'm a huge Miz fan.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Gary on March 12, 2012, 11:23:26 PM
Fucking hope so, I'm a huge Miz fan.

Me too! I'd love this to work and for him to be back on top! Guy deserves it. He worked his ass off to get where he is, especially considering he came from reality tv, my most hated of all tv. lol.

Miz>Mr. Pectacular.

lol

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jonny Worldbeater

Quick, name five guys who ever got more over because they went on a losing streak.

Gary

Brooklyn Brawler trumps any of em.

But in all honesty WWE has done this before. They did it to Sheamus after he won King of the Ring, and people barely remember it and he's over as fuck now. They did it MVP and before he was gone people forgot it too.

[/center]

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on March 13, 2012, 01:54:30 AM
Quick, name five guys who ever got more over because they went on a losing streak.

One springs to mind. AJ Styles. He had the classiest losing streak, cut an awesome quitting promo, and ended up winning the world title.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Gary

Ill add an even bigger name. HHH after the Madison Square Garden incident, was punished by the office..and now runs the office lol

[/center]

Jonny Worldbeater

I don't think the words 'over' and 'losing streak' mean what you guys think they mean.

Let me rephrase: name 5 guys who were ever taken more seriously because they lost continuously.

Gary

Thing is JB they aren't  usually booked in losing streaks to get over, usually its the company sending a message.

In Sheamus case he hadn't resigned a contract. Miz's case R-truth and a couple other things, HHH cause of the curtain call.

AJ Styles was an anomally.

[/center]

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on March 13, 2012, 02:10:16 AM
I don't think the words 'over' and 'losing streak' mean what you guys think they mean.

Let me rephrase: name 5 guys who were ever taken more seriously because they lost continuously.

I still stand by my AJ Styles call.

After his losing streak, quit promo then comeback, he was huge. Hell, it won him the PWI 1# wrestler award as well.

I'd say that made him get taken more seriously.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

! JDM The Professional !

AJ had an awesome match with Matt Morgan in his last losing streak match. Was brilliant. One of my favorite TV matches of the year. Everyone thought AJ was going to win it. Morgan won and was pretty over.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jonny Worldbeater

Uh-huh... Follow-up question: Do you think AJ getting 'over' by the standards of a TNA audience had more to do with his repeatedly losing or more to do with cutting a good promo and being a good wrestler.

The point I'm driving at is, NO ONE gets treated like a star when portrayed like a loser, and make no mistake people think of Miz as a loser. Hell, you can't tell me with a straight face that anybody bought Wrestlemania last year for the main event because Miz was involved in it, that thing was sold entirely on the involvement of Rock and Cena and Miz was completely shown up.

And I'm not saying this because I #BlameMiz, but the guy has basically been reduced to a mid-card joke and he's not going to be taken seriously again for a LONG time, and any involvement he has in the Rock/Cena match is going to do nothing for him or anybody else.

Best case scenario for Miz, he beats up and lays out both Rock and Cena and the match gets thrown out and he's left alone standing tall. In the unlikely event that - as deep in the doghouse as the guy is right now - they decide to pull a fuck finish in the match that could be easily argued to be the major selling point of the entire show, I find it unlikely that this will result in Miz becoming the most hated heel and biggest star in the company.

I believe it would be more likely that the finish would be unanimously shat on and the guy's career would be further crippled in the backlash against it when he's used as a scapegoat for why the main event was a pile of shit. Kind of like what happened with LAST year's match.

Or he guy does a run-in and maybe lays one guy out so the other can get the pin for a screwjob finish that sets up further angles (sort of like Austin/Rock at Mania X-7 'cause hey, look how well that worked out) or maybe (and much more likely IMO) he gets the shit kicked out of him and sent packing like a geek inside 10 seconds. Hey, doesn't that do a ton to help his career?

You want to know what the best thing for Miz's career would be right now? Not being on TV for about 3 months or so, repackaging himself and coming back with a new spin on his persona and to win matches week in, week out to build him up as a credible top-tier guy again.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on March 13, 2012, 03:04:14 AM
Uh-huh... Follow-up question: Do you think AJ getting 'over' by the standards of a TNA audience had more to do with his repeatedly losing or more to do with cutting a good promo and being a good wrestler.

The point I'm driving at is, NO ONE gets treated like a star when portrayed like a loser, and make no mistake people think of Miz as a loser. Hell, you can't tell me with a straight face that anybody bought Wrestlemania last year for the main event because Miz was involved in it, that thing was sold entirely on the involvement of Rock and Cena and Miz was completely shown up.

And I'm not saying this because I #BlameMiz, but the guy has basically been reduced to a mid-card joke and he's not going to be taken seriously again for a LONG time, and any involvement he has in the Rock/Cena match is going to do nothing for him or anybody else.

Best case scenario for Miz, he beats up and lays out both Rock and Cena and the match gets thrown out and he's left alone standing tall. In the unlikely event that - as deep in the doghouse as the guy is right now - they decide to pull a fuck finish in the match that could be easily argued to be the major selling point of the entire show, I find it unlikely that this will result in Miz becoming the most hated heel and biggest star in the company.

I believe it would be more likely that the finish would be unanimously shat on and the guy's career would be further crippled in the backlash against it when he's used as a scapegoat for why the main event was a pile of shit. Kind of like what happened with LAST year's match.

Or he guy does a run-in and maybe lays one guy out so the other can get the pin for a screwjob finish that sets up further angles (sort of like Austin/Rock at Mania X-7 'cause hey, look how well that worked out) or maybe (and much more likely IMO) he gets the shit kicked out of him and sent packing like a geek inside 10 seconds. Hey, doesn't that do a ton to help his career?

You want to know what the best thing for Miz's career would be right now? Not being on TV for about 3 months or so, repackaging himself and coming back with a new spin on his persona and to win matches week in, week out to build him up as a credible top-tier guy again.

It was the storyline that got him so over. The storyline included his losing streak.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Black Death

Miz is the out for either the Rock or Cena

He a way for one of them to save face.  That pretty much how I see it.

don't know  who yet
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on March 13, 2012, 03:16:16 AMIt was the storyline that got him so over. The storyline included his losing streak.

I find it rather difficult to believe that he was any more or less over than at any other point in the history of his many, MANY up & down main event-midcard-main event pushes specifically in that one particular instance, largely because it didn't seem to do him much good in the long run since he's currently right back in that mid-card slot, but then I don't remember anything about the angle because it all just kind of runs together.

The only recent point where I could personally pinpoint any significant improvement in AJ's status that really helped him was when he was paired up with Flair & adopted his promo style & started wearing the custom robes. That was a point where you could at least definitively notice a marked improvement in AJ's star presence from that point onwards.