WWE Reportedly In Secret Talks For ROH Buyout

Started by Fnord, March 23, 2017, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

According to a report from Pro Wrestling Sheet, the WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group are in secret talks for a potential Ring Of Honor (ROH) buyout.

The report suggests that talks have been slowly progressing since January, with a 'full takeover' being the WWE's plan if a deal is made. This would likely mean that ROH shows would air on the WWE Network weekly if the buyout is completed. There is also no word yet on if all the talent on the ROH roster would be retained if the WWE was to absorb them.

It has also been stressed that there is not officially a deal on the table as of this writing and that 'discussions are simply that.' If both sides can't agree on specifics the deal will likely fall apart.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

We noted via Pro Wrestling Sheet that WWE officials have been engaged in secret talks with Ring of Honor parent company Sinclair Broadcasting about a buyout of the brand. The takeover would reportedly see the weekly ROH TV show air on the WWE Network, among other changes, but there's been no word yet on talents being kept.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE first contacted Sinclair back in August with the idea of buying the company for the tape library and to remove another competitor. A deal has been discussed within WWE and other promotions for a few weeks now but as noted, there is no concrete deal on the table. This could explain why John Cena recently posted a photo of ROH star Jay Lethal to his Instagram account.

The major part of the deal is the ROH tape library, which features early matches from the careers of WWE Superstars like AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Cesaro, Austin Aries and others.

The Observer adds that WWE has also sent at least minor inquiries and feelers to other indie companies, in the US and the UK, about buying them out.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Gravedigger

If this clears the way to see Lethal, Cole, ReDragon, etc. in the WWE I'm all for it...

As fans we need to realize that there's only one real big boy in the industry anymore, at least in the US. Until another Ted Turner billionaire type wants to jump in and spend crazy cash, the "Monday Night Wars" type of competition will not happen again...

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Kise

I got to thinking about something right around the time of that UK tournament. WWE could really revitalize the sport if they showcased more wrestling from around the world as their name implies. I've been slacking on Dragon Gate & Noah (which I heard is becoming terrible(???)), and the same for ROH.

ROH from ten years ago is pretty much what we have now in WWE. Happy to see a lot of guys get the spotlight. I could see the Briscoes ushering in a new attitude-esque era if they are brought up to the main brand.

I'm all for the move but of course it has to be good business for all parties involved. So far it doesn't seem like WWE is squandering talent. Cesaro, Neville, Seth, Joe, Ohno, Aries, and to an extent AJ are all being treated well.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Kise on March 24, 2017, 12:03:57 PM
I got to thinking about something right around the time of that UK tournament. WWE could really revitalize the sport if they showcased more wrestling from around the world as their name implies. I've been slacking on Dragon Gate & Noah (which I heard is becoming terrible(???)), and the same for ROH.

ROH from ten years ago is pretty much what we have now in WWE. Happy to see a lot of guys get the spotlight. I could see the Briscoes ushering in a new attitude-esque era if they are brought up to the main brand.

I'm all for the move but of course it has to be good business for all parties involved. So far it doesn't seem like WWE is squandering talent. Cesaro, Neville, Seth, Joe, Ohno, Aries, and to an extent AJ are all being treated well.

In the name of Mike Powers ...

FUCK THE BRISCOES

Mike Powers

ChrisShields

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on March 24, 2017, 02:27:09 PM
In the name of Mike Powers ...

FUCK THE BRISCOES
Hey, something we finally agree on.

Fnord

Source: CBS Sports

Chuck Carroll has a story at CBS regarding rumors of a WWE purchase of Ring of Honor. Accoring to Carroll, multiple sources told him that WWE is not purchasing Ring of Honor with one high-ranking ROH source outright saying "there is no story here."

ROH COO Joe Koff has previously stated that the idea of WWE purchasing the ROH tape library is unlikely, but they do have a good working relationship.

"I'm always open to any conversation," said Koff. "We do business with them if they want to do a DVD or VOD if they need footage from early matches they do come to us. We are open to work with them on that basis because it doesn't hurt us. It actually helps us."

Carroll had asked Koff earlier this month about whether ROH will begin streaming on WWE Network.

"No, no, no, no," Koff told Carroll. "It's very flattering and humbling to us. It validates what we've done. A lot of their current performers and stars are ROH guys and we have their history. So maybe the content of the backstories of Kevin Steen before he became Kevin Owens or AJ Styles' run in Ring of Honor, Tyler Black (aka Seth Rollins), Claudio (Castagnoli aka Cesaro) ... all of the guys who have wrestled for us. We have their backstory and where it began... That's our content."

Kise

Black Death

Quote from: Kise on March 28, 2017, 02:09:54 AM
What did them boys ever do to you [all]?

:'(

my thoughts exactly ... What Dem Boys do to you ?
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Mike Powers

Kise

Damn, that's disappointing to hear. I haven't kept up with ROH stuff in over a year

Rob

It was a few years back when they were close to joining WWE.
SixersEagles

[/center]

ChrisShields

Quote from: Mike Powers on March 28, 2017, 03:28:17 PM
Homophobic, hillbilly fucks.
That pretty much sums it up. Plus, their voices are just really annoying. I honestly think that Mark Briscoe is most likely one of the dumbest human beings on the planet.