News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

WWE Judgement Day Blog

Started by Doug E Fresh, May 18, 2009, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug E Fresh

Alrighty. Just finished Judgement Day. Had a real strong undercard for this one and 4 of the seven matches were smackdown. It's in Chicago and since I'm a Punk mark I was really hoping he'd cash in since it's his hometown. Anyway, here goes.

Umaga d. CM Punk

Very good opening match. Umaga won clean and I'm fine with that. It was good that it opened in case Punk cashed in later. They did the same with Edge in 06 when he lost to Flair and then won the belt. Umaga looked good in the ring for his return match.

Christian d. Jack Swagger to retain the ECW Title

Just as good as last month. Christian may be one of the best in-ring storytellers out there right now. Lots of innovation in this match also. I'd say match of the night but I can't as it was beaten in my opinion. During the match Swagger tried to use the tights while pinning but the ref saw. Christian won by using the tights while pinning lol.

John Morrison d. Shelton Benjamin

Another very good match. Haas came out with Benjamin and tried to serve a distraction but failed. Good moves little botches and Morrison's splitlegged corkscrew moonsault is pretty wicked. I just with the didn't call it the Starship Pain. Man I hate his gimmick. Oh well face turn successful thusfar.

Miz Promo

Miz worked the mic and worked the Chicago crowd for some awesome cheap heat dogging the Cubs because Alfonso Soriano was there and he does the U can't see me thing at games. Miz challenged Soriano and then claimed he was 4-0 against Cena because Soriano was a substitute. Santino then came out (full face and not as Santina) and made fun of Vickie Guerrero again before fighting with Miz. Miz took him out though and then Chavo came down and frog splashed him.

Rey Mysterio d. Chris Jericho to retain the Intercontinental Title

Match of the night. This was also with Rey Rey being injured from what I read the other day. Fast paced, lots of false finishes, innovative moves and counters. I really thought Jericho was gonna win when he had the walls locked in for over a minute. Jericho also tried to remove Rey's mask during the match so I wonder if they're gonna go anywhere with that.

Batista d. Randy Orton by DQ (Orton retains WWE Title)

I had little expectations for this match and was pleasantly surprised during the later parts of it. I don't recall many details but Orton slapped the ref to get DQed after trying to get counted out and trying to use a chair and the title belt. The important stuff is that Legacy came down afterwards to beat on Batista and suddenly...RIC FLAIR returns to make the save. Interesting to see where this goes but are they hinting at Evolution??

John Cena d. Big Show

I had less than little expectations for this match given Cena was playing the hurt sad puppy dog and this match was a snooze fest. 15 mintues of Big Show beating Cena and then somehow Cena is able to lift Show for the FU? It was disappointing. Bad storytelling.

Edge d. Jeff Hardy to retain the World Heavyweight Title

Good match. Slow at first. These two definitely counter each other a lot. Jeff Hardy used an interesting mix of a sharpshooter and texas cloverleaf. Match spills outside and in the crowd the ref doesn't see Matt Hardy hit Jeff with his cast! Still wasn't enough for Edge to get the pin. What was enough however was an Edgecution DDT from the top rope which was pretty pimp!

Thoughts

Overall, good PPV. Cena/Show brought it down and I wanted Punk to cash in so for me it wasn't uber awesome. But I really love good wrestling and the match quality for the most part really carried it for me. 8.5/10