News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagilki

Quote from: The Incredible TyTy on January 13, 2013, 04:14:31 AM
After fifteen bloody years, I finished the wheel of time series. I read the 14th and final book and I'm in tears. I waited so long for this book, longer than anything. I feel free, accomplished. It was epic.

I just finished and I'm not one for tearing up at books, but there were parts here where..... it was like being punched in the guts...

But it's over and it was a fitting end.

Actually the first "tear up" for me came from reading an article on Tor.com by Harriet talking about RJ moving from writing on paper through to computers.

Santa

Oh shit, the last book is out? I must have been under a rock. I'm picking it up right now!

Gates

Been awhile since I posted here, and there's been a few books that have been read. So...here goes!

A Feast For Crows
By George R.R. Martin
I enjoyed it. Probably not my favorite, but it still had moments that captured my interest to the point where I didn't want to put the book down. Had they made it shorter, I probably wouldn't have cared too much because there were some things that could have been taken out and it probably wouldn't have hurt the story all that much. Taking a break from the series while school is on, so I'll get to Dance With Dragons hopefully in the summer.

The Shining
By Stephen King
Really enjoyed it. Stephen King is always hit or miss with me (Kind of missed with Insomnia for me anyways), but this one hit. It took a bit to get into it, but once it picks up, it is a constant ride that really grips you. I think about halfway through I was engrossed in it. Definitely better than the movie, though the two are fairly different so it's not really comparable. Different ideas and the ending of each gives a different appeal.

Double Indemnity
By James M. Cain
Not too long of a story but enough that it took a bit to read. I really got into this one though I do really enjoy short stories so this one had me pulled in from the beginning. Had a nice fast talking style of what I want to say is the 50s (the exact time period escapes me) but was definitely a great read.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
By Frank Baum
Another shorter story and another that pulled me in. This one was a fairly easy read and has some moments in it that vary differently from the movie. Would love to see someone do some of the left out scenes (though it won't happen) if only for the violence that they could get away with nowadays. Another good read that didn't take too much time but was still enjoyable.

Mortal Fear
By Greg Iles
I'd always seen Greg Iles books when I worked in the book store, but never picked them up. Didn't think they were for me. This one was recommended to me and I couldn't put it down. An interesting concept (man who works for an online relationship site gets caught up in the investigation of a serial killer) but one that was well done to keep the entire story interesting and not to overdo it. Really got me liking Greg Iles as a writer so I can't wait to read more of his work.

Emma
By Jane Austen
This was probably the worst of the bunch, but then again, I've never been one for older works. This one was purely for school (some of the above were school but I liked them enough) and was a bit of an ordeal to get through. Typical Austen stuff that really didn't do it for me. I worked through it, but didn't enjoy it.

I think that's it for now. Next up: The Sweet Hereafter, Persuasion, Malcolm X, and Hound of the Baskervilles. The first three are for school, so hopefully I can get through them.

One day I'll get to the stack of books I want to read for my own enjoyment. One day...

Mike Powers

Quote from: domingoTFWF on December 27, 2012, 12:53:38 AM
Finished 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly a few months ago, but have yet to start on The Drop. Started reading Forbidden by Ted Dekker, then moved on to the second book of that series; Mortal, when I finished it. Plan to start The Drop once I'm done with Mortal.

Michael Connelly is probably my favorite author right now. His Harry Bosch novels are the best. Currently 2/3 through The Black Box. Other favorite authors include Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver, Jeff Abbott, and Lawrence Block.

Someone mentioned Stephen King. 11/22/63 is AWESOME. Highly recommend. Also, this year he has his first ever sequel coming out, and its a sequel to The Shining. "Dr. Sleep" is coming out the summer/fall.

Gates

Quote from: Mike Powers on January 31, 2013, 02:03:58 AM
Someone mentioned Stephen King. 11/22/63 is AWESOME. Highly recommend. Also, this year he has his first ever sequel coming out, and its a sequel to The Shining. "Dr. Sleep" is coming out the summer/fall.

Hmm I might have to check out Dr. Sleep, since the Shining was so enjoyable.

Not sure about 11/22/63. I heard it was good from some people, but from others, they said it was a bit slow. Of course that could have been someone not as familiar with King's writing.

Rocky Muscleman

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire....for I dunno, the tenth time?

It's either Harry or The Gods Will Have Blood, which I SO want to like, but just can't get interested in it long enough to actually finish.

Black Death

I like the  Harry Porter book series  a lot ...I prefer it over the movies .

I enjoy Goblet of Fire because it the transition in the series . We go from a kids fantasy books to an adult fantasy books
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Domingo

Harry Potter is an adult fantasy book? like fifty shades of gray?

Mike Powers

Hermoine in a ball gag, Harry roughing her up with a horse riding crop, Dumbledore jerkin' his gerkin in the corner?

jagilki

Black Death

If you read the last few books as he goes from preteen to teen , yeah shit starts to get real .  We lost the kid themes of the first three books and now have to deal with death and lost and regret , love ...that one of the reasons I like the books . You see the characters grow as the story comes to an end .

Black Death

It been awhile and I am bringing it back ... post the last book that you read ... being this he is my author spotlight .

The Contest by Matthew Reilly

QuoteThe New York State Library. A silent sanctuary of knowledge; a 100-year-old labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow aisles and spiralling staircases. For Doctor Stephen Swain and his eight-year-old daughter, Holly, it is the site of a nightmare.For one night, the State Library is to be the venue for a contest. A contest in which Stephen Swain is to compete – whether he likes it or not.The rules are simple: seven contestants will enter, only one will leave.With his daughter in his arms, Swain is plunged into a terrifying fight for survival. The stakes are high, the odds brutal. He can choose to run, to hide or to fight – but if he wants to live, he has to win.Because in a contest like this, unless you leave as the victor, you do not leave at all.

Great Novel ... recommend it to everyone.

Gates

Now that school is over, I can get back to the mountain of books I haven't been able to read. Just finished my first one today.

The Weight by Andrew Vachss

Not what I thought it would be. The synopsis made it seem appealing, being about a career criminal who gets caught and convicted of something he didn't do, and then on his release he gets caught up doing dirty work that leads him into a world he didn't expect. However it was dry and at times, boring. It doesn't help that at a number of spots, the author uses what I'm calling "crime lingo" to describe whats happening, but doesn't explain it. So if you don't know certain things about the criminal world, you might be as lost as I was at times. It had its moments, but overall, it seemed to be a let down.

Chris Stern

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline think of it as Matrix or Tron meets the 80 pop culture(yes Tron took place in the 80's but still) and Charlie and the chocolate factory(the book not the awful tim burton film)/Willy Wanka with Atari's Adventure and Swordquest games(swordquest was a planned series of four games by atari that were tied to a special contest where players had to play through the game and solve the riddle to each installment the first batch of players to do so then compete in a special contest with a modded version of the installment they solved the winner would win a real gold treasure) 

tossed in and the chocolate factory where the world has gone downhill due to the worlds supply of fossil fuels has been used up leading to civil unrest and lead to the majority of people to take refuge in a virtual reality MMO called Oasis which now dominates the majority of human activity but the game's creator had left his vast fortune and his controlling interest in Oasis to anyone who can find the hidden Easter egg in the game which is hidden behind 3 special gates that are unlocked with with three hidden keys.

The story centers around a poor young kid named Wade who lives in a trailer "stack" think trailer park meets high rise becomes the first person to find one of the three keys..

It was a fun read, especially if you grew up in the 80's or are a gamer then it's a even better since you can get a bigger kick out of the little references and such.