News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gates

Finished reading "Prince of Thieves" by Chuck Hogan last night.

You definitely were right, Black Death. Loved the book. It's rare that I can find one that grabs my attention so early and pulls me through with intensity, intrigue and excitement for the whole thing, but that is what Hogan does with this book. I always hit a point when reading where I need to finish the book, usually the last 40-50 pages or so, but this one it hit me with 150-200 left. Was a great read, and now I might have to check out more of Hogans work.

Up next by request of a co-worker, "Rules of Prey" by John Sandford.

RickRampage

Alright, so, I am currently reading the Harry Potter series of books. So, I am going to list them all and embolden the ones I have read, and make note of the one that I am on right now.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Currently Reading
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Okay, so I had never read the series before now, but I have seen all the movies to this point. I must say that the books are rather enjoyable and you get to learn a little bit more about the characters and get to understand them a little bit better as well. You also get a chance to see the story as it was meant to be told, as opposed to the slightly abridged version portrayed in the movies. However, I will say that the first two movies were fairly close to the books, but the third one is where they started separating and missing a good bit of context. I won't necessarily say what it is missing, but I will say that if you like to read, and you liked the movies, but never read the books, go ahead and give them a read and you'll see what I mean. Still, on the other hand, I only read because I am bored at work, and I really don't read all that much and I enjoy these books; so if you like the movies at all, read the books and get the real deleted scenes.

Mark Mania

Just finished the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes which is the second set of short stories in the Sherlock Holmes canon.

I think I liked this collection more than the first, although, there were still some that I could essentially care less about. The highlights of "Memoirs" though are definitely,

The Adventure Of The Yellow Face
The Adventure Of The Stockbroker's Clerk
The Adventure Of The Reigate Puzzle
The Adventure Of The Naval Treaty

and probably the best of whole group

The Adventure Of The Final Problem

The Final Problem is when Professor Moriarty is first introduced, which even the least of fans of Sherlock Holmes still know the name of Moriarty.

So now I'm starting The Hound of Baskerville which is the third of the four novels of the Sherlock Holmes canon and when I get half-way through this book I will have halfway done with the entire canon.

Again, I cannot recommend these books enough, great reads.

Black Death

Quote from: RickRampage on September 10, 2010, 08:23:20 PM
Alright, so, I am currently reading the Harry Potter series of books. So, I am going to list them all and embolden the ones I have read, and make note of the one that I am on right now.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Currently Reading
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Okay, so I had never read the series before now, but I have seen all the movies to this point. I must say that the books are rather enjoyable and you get to learn a little bit more about the characters and get to understand them a little bit better as well. You also get a chance to see the story as it was meant to be told, as opposed to the slightly abridged version portrayed in the movies. However, I will say that the first two movies were fairly close to the books, but the third one is where they started separating and missing a good bit of context. I won't necessarily say what it is missing, but I will say that if you like to read, and you liked the movies, but never read the books, go ahead and give them a read and you'll see what I mean. Still, on the other hand, I only read because I am bored at work, and I really don't read all that much and I enjoy these books; so if you like the movies at all, read the books and get the real deleted scenes.

It good  that you discover the books , it much better than the movies ,  it gets better  as the books go along as he grows up and the dangers get real as his life get more serious. when you get to the last books , you will be blow away trust me , I still read them from time to time , there well done books
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Mark Mania

I'm just gunning my way through these Sherlock Holmes books.

I finished the third novel The Hound of the Baskervilles obviously by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It was a great, great read. A Study In Scarlet is still the best novel, but The Hound is definitely better than the Sign of Four. Also it was a nice break in between two straight books of just short stories.

[spoiler]The odd part is though that it didn't follow the canon, as the last story in "Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" involved the apparent "death" of Sherlock Holmes, and then The Hound of the Baskervilles doesn't even mention it, but it is mentioned in the first short story of "The Return of Sherlock Holmes". Kind of odd, but still a hell of a book.[/spoiler]

So now I have finished three of the four novels, and two of the five books of short stories. I have already begun "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" which after reading the first two stories looks like it's going to be the best collection of short stories yet. More than half way done with the canon now, I don't know what I'll do after yet.

Mark Mania

I just finished The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Which is the sixth book in the canon so now I only have three remaining books to read, one novel, and two sets of short stories. This was a good series of short stories, but not nearly as good as Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. The ones that stood out though were...

The Adventure Of The Empty House
The Adventure Of The Solitary Cyclist
The Adventure Of Black Peter
The Adventure Of The Six Napoleons
The Adventure Of The Three Students
The Adventure Of The Abbey Grange

All good stories, but none spectacular except maybe The Adventure Of The Three Students. Now I will be starting up on the Valley of Fear which is the last novel of the Sherlock Holmes canon. I'm excited, but also worried about what the hell I'm going to do when I'm finished with all these damn books.

Black Death

ever hear of Harry Dresden ... great books right there

suggest you look for the first book Storm Front by Jim Butcher... trust me you like it

Gates

Just finished reading Rules of Prey by John Sanderson. Pretty good book. Had a lot of character development work as well as a pretty interesting story. Made for a nice and intense conclusion. Don't know if I'll read the rest of the Prey series, but this is a good starting point where I could pick and choose to ones I wanted to read.

Next up: Twisted by Jeffery Deaver. Love reading short stories. Especially when the first one I read ("Without Jonathan") kind of threw me for a swerve.

jagilki

Just got The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. 

It's the Sequel to their book The Strain.

Black Death

Quote from: jagilki on October 13, 2010, 10:32:09 PM
Just got The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. 

It's the Sequel to their book The Strain.

Fuck yeah ... got to pick that one up. 

The Strain was fucking awesome book

Black Death

Quote from: Heath Weston on October 08, 2010, 11:45:20 PM
Just finished reading Rules of Prey by John Sanderson. Pretty good book. Had a lot of character development work as well as a pretty interesting story. Made for a nice and intense conclusion. Don't know if I'll read the rest of the Prey series, but this is a good starting point where I could pick and choose to ones I wanted to read.

Next up: Twisted by Jeffery Deaver. Love reading short stories. Especially when the first one I read ("Without Jonathan") kind of threw me for a swerve.

His short stories are great you will love the whole book , there are some stories in there that make you say  "Damn"

Gates

Quote from: Black Death on October 15, 2010, 01:42:18 PM
His short stories are great you will love the whole book , there are some stories in there that make you say  "Damn"

So far they all have. I also bought (at the same time as Twisted) his second volume More Twisted. So it will probably follow this one, since the first one already has me loving his short stories.

Mark Mania

Just finished the final Sherlock Holmes novel "Valley of Fear" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. There is a good chance that this was my favorite novel of the four. The case itself was quite basic, but the back story was far more entertaining than the actual main storyline. So good in fact that I might rank this about A Study In Scarlet. Not 100% if I'd make that classification, but I did really enjoy this book.

I'm now down to two sets of short stories before I've finished the entire Sherlock Holmes canon. It's been one hell of a journey though and I would recommend anyone who enjoys detective types stories to check them out. Sherlock Holmes is one of the best characters ever created in my opinion.

Gates

Finished reading all of the "Twisted" short stories and they have sold me on reading more of Deaver in the future. Every short story was great.

Now I'm onto "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane. Wanted to read this one since I saw the movie and have been told good things. Trying to break through my list, but every time I knock off a book, I add 2-3 more...

AWALinn

Just recently finished the RA Salvatore series about Drizzt Du'urden And Now will be going through and reading ALL of Eddings works and then it is on to Terry Good kind... will update when done... but that could be a while...