News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagilki

I'm about to finish "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie.

if anybodies read his "First Law" trilogy, they need to read this one.

Kirk

Flashman. I read all of the rest of the series and thought it was about time I got round to reading the first one.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

BamBamBunglow

Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I've known this guy since 2005, and have had the pleasure of hitting him in the head with an axe many times (Long story there). He's also a phenomenal writer, and would recommend his Shadows of the Apt sries to anyone who's into their Fantasy

The Janitor

I'm currently reading Terry Pratchetts ''Jingo'' and ''120 days of Sodom'' by the Marquis De Sade

Terry Pratchett i am on a constant cycle with, no matter what i'm reading, i'll have a Pratchett book that i'm reading at the same time.

120 days is a tough read, not because of the content, which, though graphic and usually distainful is not shocking (proberbly due to the anesthatised society that most of our upbringings have made us part of) It's just that it's actually kind of boring. I was told it was sick and would change my outlook to things, and that it was sattire of the highest order, Sades commentary of the social attitudes of France at that time. But to be honest, the guy goes into TOO much detail, it's too florid. YOu shouldn't need two pages to tell me a chicks ass is hot, that's overkill. But yeah, i will finish it eventually just to say that i have.

Next up i'm going to go back to a favourite and read ''The Redemption of Althalus'' By David and Leah Eddings

Black Death

well let see here ... there" Five Greatest warriors"  and "Scarecrow " by Matthew Reilly .  Fucking great books ,  this man can write .  FGW is jack west jr book and damn it blew me away. it was the last part of a three book thiiller.  it a video game in print

Scarecrow is Shane Schofield novel and it was so fast -pace action packed , with characters that just leap off the page . I started it and could not put it down .   It grabs you from the first page and never lets go.  I recomend this author to anyone that likes action thillers .
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Rob.B

Just finished reading 'Dexter is Delicious', it's the fifth book in the series and in my opinion it's the best of the lot. Kept me captivated from start to finish.

Gates

Just finished reading "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde (author of the Thursday Next series). Very good book, IMO. Much different and much more out there than the stuff I have been reading lately, but well worth it.

Basically, it's about the world in the future where people are classified by the colours that they can see (most can only see one shade, some two to make them green, purple, orange...). The plot is basically about one guy who gets sent to a far away village to conduct a chair census as punishment for a practical joke he played. He is trying to get back to his normal life in his hometown, but nothing is going easily for him.

Overall a pretty interesting read. Being in the future, the author makes references back to "The Previous" (which would basically be us) that had me laughing out loud. It's supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, though through my hunting, the second book isn't due out until 2013...sadly.

Rob.B

Jericho's second book. The man is fucking hillarious, another fantastic book from him and he's left it open for a third.

Just started reading "Storm Front" one of The Dresden Files book. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm liking it so far.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on May 22, 2011, 09:23:41 AM
Jericho's second book. The man is fucking hillarious, another fantastic book from him and he's left it open for a third.

Just started reading "Storm Front" one of The Dresden Files book. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm liking it so far.

glad someone else has discover Dresden ... trust me man it damn good series

Jericho's book was laugh out load funny ... i  have read very few books that could just make me laugh and laugh hard while reading it .  this one of them... Storm Front is the first in the Dresden Files , it just keeps getting better 

jagilki

Re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, because of the HBO show and the new book coming out.

On the second book atm.

Gates

Just finished reading "The Priest" by Gerard O'Donovan. It is a book about a serial killer in Ireland named The Priest and the process taken to capture him, as well as the journalism side of things.

As far as my opinion goes, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It had the potential to be a pretty good book, but at the end of it I kinda felt let down. And in an effort not to ruin it for anyone who might stumble across it and want to read it...
[spoiler]It only had one good chapter (the last chapter), and was about a serial killer that only killed one person...wtf? I know that doesn't classify him as a serial killer, but apparently he was...[/spoiler]

The next book is "Pygmy" by Chuck Palahniuk, though only because I want an easier quicker read. After that it's down to either "Death of Bunny Monroe" by Nick Cave, "Spook County" by William Gibson, "Ragged Company" by Richard Wagamese or "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby.

Rob.B

Finished Storm Front which was excellent and I'm about a third of the way through Fool Moon, I'm completely hooked on this series.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on June 18, 2011, 12:31:50 PM
Finished Storm Front which was excellent and I'm about a third of the way through Fool Moon, I'm completely hooked on this series.

I welcome you ... lol

it just keeps getting better

Drama Queen

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein blew my fricking mind away.

If you like books that use sci-fi as a social commentry, eg Brave New World, 1984 or Farenheit 451, then I strongly recommend this. I can't wait to try out another of his works.

This covers everything, Politics, religion, sex, morality, violence, love, the law, and all through the eyes of Martian who is trying to comprehend humanities bizarre attitudes towards it all, some of which is so bizarre he cannot translate from English to Martian because the concept simply does not exist in his world.

Gates

Just finished "Random" by Craig Robertson. A book about a serial killer that kills his victims at random (such as picking a name out of a fish bowl of business cards at a restaurant). What made this book even better though, is unlike most novels of the sort I have read, there was no backstory about the police and their involvement in solving the case. At least not from their perspective. The whole thing was written from the killers point of view, almost like he was keeping a diary during the whole experience. First one I've read lately that is in that vein and isn't more to do with the police investigation.

Up next: Game of Thrones.