News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Quote from: Lemke on August 04, 2011, 12:06:30 PM
Just finished the first two books of the Hunger Games trilogy. Man, this series is fucking good. Like really good. Fast reads too, im generally not a speed reader but ive been finishing each book in about 5 or 6 hours.

heard good things about it, now you have confirmed I should try it, thanks!

Black Death

just finish LA Noir  by John Bruntin , it was a great look  back at the history and people that help shape Los Angeles. 

very good read here
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

jagilki

QuoteMy name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvotheâ€"from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much moreâ€"for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp

Highly recommend this one for Fantasy readers.

Rob.B

Quote from: Black Death on July 25, 2011, 10:22:42 AM
you will be surprise  ... trust me ,  it gets better , much better

You were right BD, it really just kept getting better. I love how when it looks like the story is about to reach it's climax, something happens which takes it in a completely different direction. Started Summer Knight, only a few chapters in but it's a very interesting beginning.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on August 14, 2011, 08:04:50 PM

You were right BD, it really just kept getting better. I love how when it looks like the story is about to reach it's climax, something happens which takes it in a completely different direction. Started Summer Knight, only a few chapters in but it's a very interesting beginning.

Summer Knight is my Favorite book in the whole series... so many  great moments  and characters in that book ... you going to love it 

LucasRoberts

The True Words of never judge a book by its cover:

Catcher in the rye, basically about a kid who's life sucks and how miserable he is, makes me feel better about my childhood.

Black Death

Just finish the latest book in the Dresden Files  called   "Ghost Story"

I rip right through it once I got it , I wanted to read it so bad after the ending of the book before it called "Changes" and I was not disappointed with this one.  Damn great read . It grab me from the first page and did not let me go until it end . I was so damn sad once the book was over. I want more and the ending did it job again. I  am now counting the days until the next one   ;D

It a damn great series and I recommend it to everyone . Ghost Story is the 13th book in the series. all of them are top notch .   You don't have to start from the first one  called Storm Front but it fun to start it from the beginning and work your way up

just read them ... there that damn good

RAHTHPEWA

I just finish reading The Looking Glass Wars Trilogy.

It was really great I finish it like in three day. If you into something that show a different view about Alice in Wonderland this is a MUST read. I will admit it kind of started off slow but then in the middle of the book it really got better in my eyes with the action. To me it a mix of everything into one.

I love  the Mad Hatter  in this series. The author even made the choice of doing a little spin off base on The Mad Hatter. After I finish this trilogy then I will go into the Mad Hatter series. I am about to get part 2 Seeing Red in the series.

If you want to check it out click on the link below:

www.lookingglasswars.com

jagilki

Since last posting I've finished.....

The Wise Mans Fear, book two of the Kingbreaker Trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss (great read)

Robin Hobb books.... eh, they're readable.

Eh, not the greatest book of all time, but a nice little short read.

and I'm currently reading

Really like it so far.  It's like the Italian Job in a Fantasy world.

RAHTHPEWA

What's the prince of thorns about? that one caught my eye....

jagilki

The "Blurb"

QuoteBefore the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him.

but trust me, if anybody is looking for fantasy to read, try out the Rothfuss books.

RAHTHPEWA

What the title of book #1 of that series of his? I think I am going to be checking them both out.

jagilki

The Name of the Wind
then
The Wise Mans Fear
and the third (unpublished yet) book is currently thought to be called Doors of Stone when it comes out.

Frank Douglas

I'm a huge Dresden Files fan, BD. I finished Ghost Story about four days after it came out. I love Jim Butcher. His high fantasy, swords and horses type, series, Codex Alera, is also a really good read. I liked them almost as much as I love the Dresden Files, but, I think that's because I like sword and horses fantasy better than modern/urban fantasy.

I just started reading Imager by Lee Modesitt, Jr., and it's horrible. I don't like it at all.

I think I'm going to give those Patrick Rothfuss books a chance.

Gates

Finished A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Loving the series. Watched the Game of Thrones TV series and decided to give the books a whirl. I'm not much of a fan in the way of fantasy novels, but this series is pretty damn good. Might make me rethink my stance on fantasy novels.