News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob.B

Just finished reading The Rules of Attraction by Brett Easton Ellis. I loved it, it gave great insight into the lives of three incredibly shallow college students who while having almost no redeeming qualities and yet they still seem oddly likeable. I'd highly reccomend this book.

Rob.B

Been a while since anyone's posted in here,

Anyway since my last post I've read a lot of BEE's books and I absolutely love his style. After Rules I went on to read American Psycho, Less Than Zero, Imperial Bedrooms and Glamorama and they were all fantastic.

Then I went back to the Dresden Files Series, finished Dead Beat which was fucking incredible! Really enjoyed the storyline in it and there were a lot of moments that I didn't see coming.

I'm about 150 pages into Proven Guilty and enjoying it so far.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on April 26, 2012, 03:37:08 PM

Anyway since my last post I've read a lot of BEE's books and I absolutely love his style. After Rules I went on to read American Psycho, Less Than Zero, Imperial Bedrooms and Glamorama and they were all fantastic.

Then I went back to the Dresden Files Series, finished Dead Beat which was fucking incredible! Really enjoyed the storyline in it and there were a lot of moments that I didn't see coming.

Nothing more awesome than Desden ride a fucking dinosaur.  lol   

it just keep getting better in Proven Guilty ... trust me 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

JakeV

Dead Beat is actually my favorite of The Dresden Files, followed closely by Small Favor.

Have you guys read Butcher's high fantasy series, The Codex Alera? Dear God, those books are so good.

Believe!

Black Death

There all good ... all damn good but if I have to choose a fav. it has to be  Summer Knight.

The Road Runner scene had me laughing out loud .   

Yes that a great series also , love the man's writing

Gates

Quote from: Reaper on April 26, 2012, 03:37:08 PM

I'm a big fan of BEE's stuff. American Psycho, Less Than Zero, Rules, Informers...They've all been good reads.

Now that I am able to read for myself again (spent the past few months reading for school, books that include Bram Stoker's Dracula and Into the Wild), I'm getting back into it. Picked up the Song of Fire and Ice series to finish (had just finished Clash of Kings before, and am now just starting Feast of Crows). It's a good series with lots to keep up with.

Though my shelves are still filled with unread books. Chronic City, The Magicians, Ragged Company, The Wasp Factory, Mortal Fear, Death of Bunny Munro...lots of stuff to try and hammer through!

Black Death

well C. J. you need to talk to jag he been looking for guys to help chat with him about Song of fire and ice series

he feels so lonely   lol

jagilki

Just finished "Summon Your Dragons".  Self published freebie by some guy I can't be assed to remember the name of.  It wasn't really that bad of a book for Self Published.  In fact it would be pretty good with a full blown editor (the only stumbling block to Self Published books)

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/2724

JakeV

Honestly, after finished A Dance With Dragons last month, I'd have to say that I think A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy series I've ever read, over The Lord of the Rings. Seriously.

Believe!

Mike Powers

Just read The Drop by Michael Connelly and Love You More by Lisa Gardner.  Recommend them to any mystery fans.

Black Death

Quote from: Mike Powers on May 02, 2012, 08:43:55 PM
Just read The Drop by Michael Connelly and Love You More by Lisa Gardner.  Recommend them to any mystery fans.

Two damn good writers right there

Rob.B

Finished Proven Guilty and White Night in The Dresden Files series both good reads but Dead Beat still ranks as my favourite in the series.

Also read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, I hadn't read any of Chuck's books before this despite being a huge fan of the Fight Club film (even got a quote from it tattoed on my arm) I absolutely loved this book told from the perspective of Tender Branson the last surving member of the Creedish church group who all comitted suicide. It's brilliantly told mixing in satire with dark humour, highly reccomended. After this I decided to read Fight Club and I'm about half way through that.

Rob.B

Also read Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney. The interesting thing about this book is it's written in the second person overall it makes for a really good read.

The Janitor

in the last few months i've read

Red Dragon - Thomas Harris - Great book, finally thought, after watching the movies for years, that i'd read the original text... and my wife just ordered me some new books, silence of the lambs being one of them

Dean Koontz - Lightning/Bad Place/Midnight - My friend has been bugging me to read Koontz for a while, finally borrowed this three book volume from him. Never held out much hope... but  have to say i was pleasantly surprised. Nice reads, i don't think i would buy them personally, but i will definetly borrow more from him when i've got a lull in my reading schedule

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Loved this book, the next two are due through my letterbox in the next few days, can't wait

The Last Continent - Terry Pratchett - My all time favourite author. I savour his books and read them again and again. I haven't even read the whole of the Discworld series, i kind of put it off because i don't want it to be over. I'm down to three left to read, and i'll buy them in due time. Last Continent, which i finished two hour ago, was a first time read for me. Excellent book, though my favourite will always be Nightwatch, not just the best by Terry Pratchett, but the best book ever in my opinion

Rob.B

Been reading a lot of Palahniuk lately, finished reading Fight Club, then moved onto Damned and I'm currently about a hundred pages into Choke, all I'll say is, the man's a fucking genius.

Also read Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, business as usual from BEE, another excellent book in a pretty much flawless writing career.