News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gates

Quote from: Reaper on June 26, 2012, 01:33:04 PM
Been reading a lot of Palahniuk lately, finished reading Fight Club, then moved onto Damned and I'm currently about a hundred pages into Choke, all I'll say is, the man's a fucking genius.

Also read Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, business as usual from BEE, another excellent book in a pretty much flawless writing career.

Choke is probably my favourite though there are bunch I've read and enjoyed. Fight Club was good and Rant was interesting. The kind of books that can grab you and make you hold on.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on June 14, 2012, 01:18:26 PM
Finished Proven Guilty and White Night in The Dresden Files series both good reads but Dead Beat still ranks as my favourite in the series.

Love dead beat , fucking nothing beats riding a Reanimated T-rex through the streets of Chicago lol

... still fav is Summer Knight ... MEEP MEEP !!!

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

jagilki

I've cruised through few books since last posting.

Talion: Revenant by Michael Stackpole

QuoteThe man he is sworn to protect is the man who butchered his family.

Justicesâ€"the select of the Talions, endowed with fearsome magick and lethal martial skillsâ€"roam the Shattered Empire, crushing the lawless and championing the oppressed. Their word is law and their judgment binding on highborn and low.

Nolan is a Justice born in what once was the free nation of Sinjaria. Orphaned in the war of conquest with the nation of Hamis, he traveled to far Talianna and secured the right to become a Justice. Now, years later, the Master of all Talions has a dangerous assignment for Nolan: he is to guard the life of the king who destroyed Sinjaria and slaughtered his family. Alone, Nolan ventures into the political maelstrom that is the court of Hamis to stop an assassin even his Masters think cannot be slain...

This one wasn't a bad book.  Not awesome, but pretty decent.  Easy read. 

http://shelf.stormwolf.com/products-page/electronic-fiction/talion-revenant/ ($5.00)

The Unsuspecting Mage: The Morcyth Saga Book One by Brian S. Pratt

QuoteJames, a high school senior, went looking for a job. But instead, embarks upon an adventure of a lifetime. Whisked unexpectedly to a world where magic works, he must learn to master its power, all the while searching for the meaning behind why he was brought there and what he must do.

This one was a hard one.  Not to read or anything, just that it's not REALLY a good book, but I had fun reading it and may read further ones in the series.  But it's not really all that good.  I think my enjoyment came more from it feeling like some of the really bad fantasy I read in my early pre-teens and the nostalgia that came from that.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1444(Free)

Quoten a land called Mira, the brutal sacking of a young colony links the fates of two opposite characters: a twelve-year-old printer's son named Simon Jones and his long-lost uncle Tiberius Bogg, one of Mira's legendary mountain men. Together they trek through a merciless landscape full of extraordinary creatures -- all culled from American tall tales, Indian legends, and backwoods folklore.

Yet another Free, not very good book that I had fun reading.  It's something that I acknowledge.  I enjoy reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy books, and I also enjoy reading BAD Sci Fi/Fantasy books.  But for a freebie it's not Horrible.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/102754 (Free)

Currently Reading/Fairly Close to done.

QuoteStrikingly original in its conception, ambitious in scope, with characters engrossingly and vividly drawn, the first book in R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series creates a remarkable world from whole clothâ€"it's language and classes of people, its cities, religions, mysteries, taboos, and ritualsâ€"the kind of all-embracing universe that has thrilled readers of Stephen R Donaldson and George R.R. Martin.
It's a world scarred by an acopalyptic past, evoking a time both two thousand years past and two thousand years into the future, as untold thousands gather for a crusade. Travelling among them, two men and two women are ensnared by a mysterious traveler, Anasurimbor Kellhusâ€"part warrior, part philosopher, part sorcerous, charismatic presenceâ€"from lands long thought dead. The Darkness that Comes Before is a history of this great holy war, and like all histories, the survivors write its conclusion.
With this stunning debut, R. Scott Bakker is poised to become one of the next great fantasy writers of his generation. The Darkness that Comes Before proves again that epic fantasy can be intelligent, majestic, and terrifying.

Lot's of Psychobabble.  Lots of philosophy by characters that shouldn't be thinking deep hard dark thoughts, but not too bad of a read.  You can tell the author has a hard on for psychology and self introspection.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/darkness-that-comes-before-r-scott-bakker/1100221670?ean=9781590203859 ($12.99?  What the fuck?  When I bought it, it only cost $1.99....)

Rob.B

Finished 'Choke' really good book, definitely one of Palahniuk's best.

Rob.B

Just read 'Cosmopolis' by Don Delillo, I wasn't sure about at first when I read about the plot which is basically a billionaire travelling across New York to get a hair cut but it turns it's an excellent read and definitely worth a look, especially if you like reading BEE/Palahniuk/McInerney.

mriforgot

Just finished Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut.  Enjoyed it a lot, it jumps around a lot between the past and the present, but the story was very intriguing, and has a bit of a dystopian future aspect to it, which I enjoy immensely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slapstick_%28novel%29

Mason Pierce

Depends on what sort of books are considered for this topic...

If we're going straight fiction/nonfiction, Janet Reitman's "Inside Scientology" (a must-read for anyone who's ever wondered just what's got Tom Cruise and John Travolta all aflutter)

If we're going by most recent overall, the 6th edition rulebook for Warhammer 40K (kinda had to learn the rules quickly, seeing as how I do play)

Black Death

Quote from: Mason Pierce on August 12, 2012, 12:42:46 PM
Depends on what sort of books are considered for this topic...

If we're going straight fiction/nonfiction, Janet Reitman's "Inside Scientology" (a must-read for anyone who's ever wondered just what's got Tom Cruise and John Travolta all aflutter)

If we're going by most recent overall, the 6th edition rulebook for Warhammer 40K (kinda had to learn the rules quickly, seeing as how I do play)

works fine , it the last book you read ... might check the Reitman book

Mason Pierce

Quote from: Black Death on August 12, 2012, 12:54:31 PM
works fine , it the last book you read ... might check the Reitman book

For people finding out about it for the first time, it's a real eye-opener.

Black Death

I know a little history on  Scientology... interested in learning a lot more about it

Mason Pierce

With that book, you most definitely will.

jagilki

I've been reading the "Longmire' books, as I love the show.  The books are a little short, but are enjoyable.  Plus met the Author a few weeks back and he's a decent fellow.

whysoserious

Last book I completed is probably 'The boy in the Striped Pyjamas' which is back when I was at high school, last book I started and got to about half way was 'The Hobbit' and I still plan on picking it up one day and finishing it off, hopefully before the release of the film.

I'd say I'm more of a graphic novel kind of man, especially Batman.

Sally Screw

Just finished... The Divinci Code.

For such a hyped book I was not too impressed by it. The whole premise seemed great and the plot had so much promise. But the actual story telling left a lot to be desired.

A nice effort, but fails too many times for my tastes.

jagilki

The Passage and The Twelve.  I've heard some people on book forums talk about The Passage, but for some reason (the cover mostly I guess, and some people I've heard mention it on TV) I assumed it was one of those "self help religion" type books. 

I was way wrong. 

Not going to spoiler, but it's mostly about Zombie/Vampires.  Basically a military group finds a virus that makes people resistant to disease.  Of 'course they decide that this can make the perfect super soldier.  However the twelve test subjects they use are death row inmates.

They turn into Vampire like things.

A young girl with a bad life is brought in by the main scientist to try a different kind of test subject.

However that's when hell breaks loose and The Twelve get out.

There is a little bit in The Passage about the fall of civilization as the Zombie/Vampires run rampant across the country, then it jumps to 80 or so years later.

The Twelve same kind of story, book starts during the fall, then jumps to a few years after book one.

Good books.

Great book.  Must read for anybody who's read the other Abercrombie books. I'd rank it a little lower than The Heroes though, but that's because I fucking love that one.