Chelsea handed transfer ban for 2 seasons

Started by Laura, September 03, 2009, 09:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

From Sky Sports: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_5535793,00.html

QuoteFifa have banned Chelsea from registering any new players in the next two transfer windows.

The world's governing body have handed down the punishment after French clubs Lens made an official complaint over Chelsea's signing of their young player Gael Kakuta in 2007.

Fifa's Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) has now found in Lens' favour and ruled that the Blues are 'jointly and severally liable'.

As such, the Stamford Bridge club have been banned from signing players over the next two transfer windows, which means they will not be able to bring in any new faces until 2011.

As well as the ban, Chelsea have been fined £680,000 and will have to pay Lens £113,000 in compensation.

Kakuta, a regular in Chelsea's reserve side, has also been banned from playing for the next four months.
Statement

The full statement from Fifa reads: "On the occasion of its last meeting held on 27 August 2009, the Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) was called to pass a decision in a contractual dispute opposing the French club Lens to the French player Gael Kakuta and the English club Chelsea.

"The French club had lodged a claim with Fifa seeking compensation for breach of contract from the player and requesting also sporting sanctions to be imposed on the player and the English club for breach of contract and inducement to breach of contract respectively.

"The DRC found that the player had indeed breached a contract signed with the French club. Equally, the DRC deemed it to be established that the English club induced the player to such a breach.

"As a result the player was condemned to pay compensation in the amount of â,¬780,000, for which the club, Chelsea, are jointly and severally liable, and sporting sanctions were imposed on both the player and Chelsea in accordance with art. 17 par. 3 and 4 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players.

"A restriction of four months on his eligibility to play in official matches has been imposed on Kakuta. Chelsea are banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for the two next entire and consecutive registration periods following the notification of the present decision. Furthermore, the club, Chelsea, have to pay Lens training compensation in the amount of â,¬130,000."

Chelsea have yet to comment on the severe sanction from Fifa.

-------------------

Gonna be an interesting 2 years!

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Well personally, I dont think this will be the end of it. You have many clubs who fall under the so called 'tapping' row. United were heavily looked at when we signed Berbatov last season with rumours we hadn't even got persmission from Spurs. First incident of potentially many if you ask me.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Laura

Quote from: Sir Ian Trumps on September 03, 2009, 10:53:19 AM
Well personally, I dont think this will be the end of it. You have many clubs who fall under the so called 'tapping' row. United were heavily looked at when we signed Berbatov last season with rumours we hadn't even got persmission from Spurs. First incident of potentially many if you ask me.

It's good thing to see though. With the money involved, and so many clubs struggling even in the highest leagues, it can only make things more fair for everyone.

FXBlade

I wouldn;t be surprised if the ban got over turned.

But look at the control the current chelsea players have now, who are nearing the end of their contract.  They can use this to their advantage to get a higher wage because knowing their club can't sign anyone, makes them quite important to the team.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Dazz

I agree with Cory to an extent and I'd use the exact same words to describe my feelings over the Eduardo thing. However, it's unlikely that this punishment will be upheld after appeal so I'm not going to laugh too hard at Chelski's misfortune just yet.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Blade on September 03, 2009, 01:07:16 PM
But look at the control the current chelsea players have now, who are nearing the end of their contract.  They can use this to their advantage to get a higher wage because knowing their club can't sign anyone, makes them quite important to the team.

Excellent point.

Dazz

chunkylover

It's a good thing Chelsea have their youth team.

In two years the aveerage age of their team will be 31.

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Chunkay on September 05, 2009, 03:12:53 AM
It's a good thing Chelsea have their youth team.

In two years the aveerage age of their team will be 31.

They don't need to wait two years, just two transfer windows (January and then Summer).

But Carlo's used to managing old players, an average age of 31 is still youthful compared to some of the Milan sides he put out!

Laura

The next transfer window they'll be able to buy players in will be the 2010/2011 season...and that window is in January 2011, so yeah...it's 2 years.

There are words out there that Manchester United could be the next targets. Honestly, whatever team has been caught doing this deserves to go down, regardless of who they are. As a Liverpool fan, if they were caught doing it, they'd deserve the punishment just as much as Chelsea. Gonna be interesting to see if anything further comes out of this.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Sir Ian Trumps on September 03, 2009, 10:53:19 AM

And here we go...

Le Havre has contacted FIFA about Uniteds 'apparent illegal' approach of Paul Pogba.

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

FXBlade

Quote from: Evil GaGa Stalker on September 05, 2009, 09:52:16 AM
The next transfer window they'll be able to buy players in will be the 2010/2011 season...and that window is in January 2011, so yeah...it's 2 years.

No, it's 16 months.  But only 2 transfer windows.

Do chelsea need to buy any players?  No.

Laura

Quote from: Blade on September 05, 2009, 05:47:35 PM
No, it's 16 months.  But only 2 transfer windows.

Do chelsea need to buy any players?  No.

And you're taking the fact that it's 16 months on the dot very personally. I'm going by the numbers on the end of the years because I really don't care that much.

And they might not need to right now...but what if they go through an injury crisis?

FXBlade

Could care less about chelsea, but they wil still do well.  Apart from last year contracts, Abramovich will be laughing because he doesn;t have to spend any money, and will still get a return..

but an Injury Crisis?  Have you seen their reserve squad?