Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

ESPN, World Cup, The US

Started by Bryan Payne, June 18, 2010, 12:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Wrong

none of which are my quotes... bravo

Bryan Payne

They're the points you've defended to the hilt this whole conversation.  Additionally one of those quotes was directed from one of your posts if you'd bothered to look at that in regards to some of your comments.   But we both know you didn't bother.   Anyway, to take this back towards the original conversation rather than these tangents...

Some of you don't get ESPN, but I'm interested to know what some of you who do get it think of how they're covering the World Cup compared to what you'd get on coverage in Brittain.

Here a lot of it is more similar to what you'd get at the Olympics when NBC does them... a lot of Bob Costa's "retrospectives" and story highlights intermixed with the analysis.  At least that's been my impression of them while watching.

We've talked about a lot of the factors, but I'm also wondering if the sports broadcasters themselves and they way they present it when they deign to talk about it are also effecting the growth of the sport here.

Drama Queen

Actually Bryan I am curious did you consider the ratings for Telemundo and add them to ESPN's coverage. A LOT of people are watching the coverage en espanol.

Cory

Odds say the coverage is gonna pick up now.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Bryan Payne

Actually the Univision Spanish broadcasts are averaging a 2.6 million viewers on their own, compared to the 3.35 million averaged by ABC/ESPN combined broadcasts.  That puts the total figure at 5.95 million average per game.  I haven't been able to find a combined number, but I'd put the total "rating" at peek times when combined at about 3.5... so roughly on par with WWE programing when you combine Spanish and English broadcasts for the big games anyway... less for others or games that don't involve the US or Mexico. 

Now the Mexico vs Iran game did pull 5.4million viewers making it the most watched Spanish Language broadcast ever... which is worth noting.  The US/England game did 4.6 interesting social dynamic there that the numbers are fairly similar. (12million watched on ABC/ESPN according to new Nielson numbers)