News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Wrestler

Started by Tim-Æ, September 17, 2008, 01:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

About 15 minutes away from having this ready to watch, and I'm freaking excited. I've been hearing amazing things from most of the general public, so I can't wait. I'm still gonna go see it in the cinema..."support the industry" and all that jazz. Woohoo!

Cory

Watched the movie, and all I got to say is its fucking amazing. Very well done, realistic, and one of my new favourite films.

9.5/10

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Laura

Yeah, watched it last night...amazing, absolutely amazing. Cannot say anything bad about it. Part that made me think "wow" was how boring and normal Necro Butcher looked just as they were planning out their match. He can't really run off the ropes...but he can slam glass into his back. Hopefully this does something to give all those old-timers and such a break. It's those men and women who are going to garner the attention from this, and they deserve to have the attention put back onto them. Brilliant. 10/10.

Gary

I can see some controversy occuring over the scene where the big guy is selling drugs to Ram in the locker room.  One subject I wish they would've touched in the movie was about unionizing wrestling..

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Laura

From what I've read, that's part of the reason Afofskansky (I can't spell his name) made the movie. He's interested in using it as a showcase as to why unions should become a part of wrestling. In fact, he thinks wrestlers should be able to become members of SAG, due to them being actors and entertainers more so than sports personalities.

Rob

Not watched it yet. I'm waiting for the UK release.

I've seen billboards and bus stop posters for it everywhere though. Jan 16th I think it said for the UK release.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Laura

Indeed it is a Jan 16th release date. I've been seeing posters everywhere too, and it's made me feel all happy inside.

Jimmy Chisel

Quote from: Hannah Rickman on January 02, 2009, 11:19:36 AM
From what I've read, that's part of the reason Afofskansky (I can't spell his name) made the movie. He's interested in using it as a showcase as to why unions should become a part of wrestling. In fact, he thinks wrestlers should be able to become members of SAG, due to them being actors and entertainers more so than sports personalities.

The rub is that anyone contracted to the WWE or TNA can't join SAG because the people who produce the shows aren't SAG affiliated. If they do films, they can join SAG but that wouldn't effect them at wrestling events. In order for that to change TNA and WWE would have to make the changes the wrestlers can't really do much other than go on strike.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Ok thanks to a suggested super copy I think from Lemontree to JB which I happened to be online the same time I downloaded this film and watched on the flat screen tv via the power of my media streamer (fucking sweeeeeeeeeeeet)

I thought it was good. I am glad I got to see Tomei topless for one. Still fucking hot. I dont know whether its worthy of an Oscar though. I am being a realist here. Mickey's performance was good...but I dont know. Maybe because of the hype of you guys I had larger expectations, it was good, just didnt super duper pooper move me.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

The Murph

I think he deserves it for the hell he had to go through and the fact he never even got a pay check for doing it.

Tim-Æ

I think the praise for Rourke as an actor alone is a bit much. He isn't that great of an actor to be honest, it's just that every actor has a role they do very well. This is his role, he is the Ram, and I don't see him sky rocketing to mountains of success. I think he's got the Oscar locked because the character and the actor are one in the same in The Wrestler. Rourke has done a lot of stuff, and its dependent more on the director to make a good actor out of him, and Aronofsky did it perfectly with the Wrestler. I'll give him the Oscar for this, it was an excellent film, but I wouldn't go touting Rourke's return to fame just yet.

Exile

thats exactly how i feel Tim. The fact of the matter is this film was basically him playing himself. Hes good at that and smaller roles but i wouldnt put him in the lead of a tom hanks movie anytime soon.

Darla

I surely hope not, cause TOm Hanks is an acting.. gawd!!

Bumped cause I watched this tonight and afterward I was feeling.... meh. It was an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't the acting or anything in general, but for the hype that the IWC has given, I think it was a complete letdown. It didn't make me "stop and think" or anything like that. If anything, ir really pushed mainstream exactly how much of a joke wrestlers have become,.

6/10... not great, not awful.

Gary

i think the IWC went crazy for this movie cause after Royal Rumble and every other crap movie we got about wrestling, we finally got a good serious one.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Darla

I thought there was alot of hype, even outside the wrestling fans and just in general on the net. It was good, but I was expecting TDK or something.