News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., June 20, 2011, 10:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneCold

Quote from: Drama Queen on January 14, 2015, 09:58:50 PM
Tonecold, there are definately healthy things out there that can be viewed as snacks. It's all a matter of deciding what your goals are, and what you want more of, or what you want to avoid. For example Some people think protein bars are healthy snacks, but if you're trying to avoid sugar, probably not.

Tonecold and Brock, I recommend MyFitnessPal or something similar to both of you, it's where you type in every single thing you eat and it tracks your carbs, fat, protein, sodium, sugar, basically anything that is on a nutrition label. I found it very useful in deciding what foods to eat more of or cut down on.

I will certainly look up MyFitnessPal, thanks for the advice on that :)

Had a chat with one of the staff at my gym and she was telling me a better mix of weights with my workout would be good for boosting the fat burn. As it is I have weights as a secondary concern but I'm doing better working the legs with those.
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

Drama Queen

Day 69

Well, put my name in the lottery for the NYC marathon. Will know in about a month. Gives me plenty of time to pick a different autumn marathon if not lucky this time around.

Tonecold... I dont understand, I thought you already were including weights in your workout? Also, yeah the MyFitnessPal was most useful to me after a doctors appointment when I was told to cut down on sodium and sugar. I could clearly see what the biggest culprits were. Three weeks later for my return visit and she was super impressed with the turnaround I made in such a short time.

I LOVE the new influx this thread has seen lately.

Ian, after listening to the show, good for you setting up the gym downstairs, you are spot on IMO, getting the environment right is a major plus. Also yeah, a bag is a great addition, is it standing or hanging? Do you kick also?

I was going to go to kickboxing tonight, but my hamstrings felt really tight, so I took a rest night. Sometime we got to put the ego aside and listen to our bodies!

Namaste :)

Judge

First post here.

Bought DDP Yoga today.  Fiancee has agreed to do the workout with me.  It'll be here soon.  Duckman's speech on the latest show motivated me to do something with myself too.  I'm not getting any younger so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Judge on January 16, 2015, 03:46:23 PM
First post here.

Bought DDP Yoga today.  Fiancee has agreed to do the workout with me.  It'll be here soon.  Duckman's speech on the latest show motivated me to do something with myself too.  I'm not getting any younger so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Way to go judge, excellent news.

On the other hand, dammit, I'm going to be the only one NOT doing DDP yoga soon  ;D

Justin

Quote from: Drama Queen on January 16, 2015, 04:50:45 PM
Way to go judge, excellent news.

On the other hand, dammit, I'm going to be the only one NOT doing DDP yoga soon  ;D

Screw yoga.

ToneCold

Quote from: Drama Queen on January 15, 2015, 10:18:33 PM
Tonecold... I dont understand, I thought you already were including weights in your workout?

Yes, I am but it's a lot more Cardio (arm and leg bikes, crosstrainers) compared to a few weights (lat pull and leg press at relatively low weights and reps at the moment)
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

Drama Queen

Quote from: ToneCold on January 17, 2015, 02:23:51 AM
Yes, I am but it's a lot more Cardio (arm and leg bikes, crosstrainers) compared to a few weights (lat pull and leg press at relatively low weights and reps at the moment)

Oh, so you're in the same boat as me then, ok. I find cardio a lot more fun than weights, but alas weights are important in most fitness goals, including fat burn.

I've reached the sad conclusion I'm going to have to really cut down on other cardio activities if I'm going to focus so much on running. Basically, no more kickboxing and insanity for a while, my body just isn't going to get a break otherwise.

Aside from running I will be continuing yoga (screw you Justin p... Ooops, I meant to say namaste  :P ) which is essential and yeah the rest of my gym time will be dedicated to weights.

Justin

Does anyone use a fitbit or other like device?

I got my wife one for Christmas and it has helped her immensely. It helps you track your activity level, calorie intake amongst other things. I would recommend it.

Drama Queen

Quote from: JustinP on January 17, 2015, 04:05:13 PM
Does anyone use a fitbit or other like device?

I got my wife one for Christmas and it has helped her immensely. It helps you track your activity level, calorie intake amongst other things. I would recommend it.

I've been curious about them, but I have a first generation iPad that won't upgrade any further than iOS 5. Most of these things seem to require something more advanced to sync all of the information, or at least it seems that way. I would be curious to track my sleeping patterns of I could figure it out.

Judge

Quote from: Drama Queen on January 18, 2015, 08:53:29 PM
I've been curious about them, but I have a first generation iPad that won't upgrade any further than iOS 5. Most of these things seem to require something more advanced to sync all of the information, or at least it seems that way. I would be curious to track my sleeping patterns of I could figure it out.

Pretty much all of the fitbit like devices require either a smartphone with bluetooth and a recent OS release, or can connect up to USB via the computer.  Some of the older model fitbits would plug in via USB.

I'm personally holding out for the Apple Watch.

Duckman

Moved up from just working on the 13 core positions to the 'energy' work out in DDP Yoga.  Yes, I'm actually doing exercise on a weekend (when I'd normally just lie around all day in a heap) and man do I feel the burn!  Whole body is trembling after that one!

Maybe a little quick in moving up, given I'm coming from a zero level of fitness.  Still, starting to feel the benefits and feel stronger each time.

A nice healthy dinner of grilled salmon, cous-couse and mixed veg and I'm pretty damn proud of myself today!
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Dorling

I'd say you're doing it right mate. Energy is really the start point of getting the best out of DDP yoga. Once you've mastered the positions it's best to put it into a workout, because that's when you start to get the combination of flexibility/strength training and some cardio/heart rate work.

Onwards and upwards from there mate. If you got the booklet with it, there's an excellent 13 week programme for beginners (and one for intermediate and experienced too) which will ease you in.

Duckman

I did get the pack with the booklet.  So I'm working off that.  Just not so sure I've mastered the moves quite yet.  Found myself lagging behind a wee bit on the work out.  But got a sweat on and felt like I was working hard.

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if I can keep up a bit better.

Guess it's just like anything - practice makes perfect!

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Duckman on January 24, 2015, 11:36:27 AM
I did get the pack with the booklet.  So I'm working off that.  Just not so sure I've mastered the moves quite yet.  Found myself lagging behind a wee bit on the work out.  But got a sweat on and felt like I was working hard.

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if I can keep up a bit better.

Guess it's just like anything - practice makes perfect!

The last line is the truth. Insanity, p90x, and I'm going to assume with DDP yoga and any specific workout which you end up doing on a regular basis. It can be disheartening at first, not being able to keep up with the demonstrators on the DVD. But each time there is improvement and you will look back in amazement and you'll burst with pride.

Quote from: Judge on January 19, 2015, 06:35:35 AM
Pretty much all of the fitbit like devices require either a smartphone with bluetooth and a recent OS release, or can connect up to USB via the computer.  Some of the older model fitbits would plug in via USB.

I'm personally holding out for the Apple Watch.

Yeah, using one of these things is not enough reason in itself for me to upgrade my iPad or switch back to a laptop or pc. I do have a smartphone now, but I really try to keep my usage of it simple... Calls, texts, web browsing, email, notes, pandora and my guilty pleasure clash of clans. I really don't want to get involved in anything more complex than that.

Duckman

Oh yeah DQ, got your PM mate.  Special mention on MFX111 for you.