News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The Wizard (1989)

Started by Black Death, July 18, 2008, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

Now you remember the Wizard...staring Fred Savage and Luke Wilson as  Jim Woods aka the Wizard.   for those who have not seen it  is a quick summary

Corey and Jimmy Woods are two brothers who are being separated due to their parents divorcing. Jimmy is a mentally unstable kid that has had problems ever since his sister died at a young age. One day, Corey discovers that Jimmy has a natural talent for playing video games. He is one of the best around, and the two journey to the West Coast to compete in a video game championship, but along the way, they must avoid the adults, who are trying to take Jimmy away

Basicly a walk adversting for Nintendo at the time.   but I was like ten ...I eat that shit up and it was like the greatest film ever   :)

remember these lines :

Lucas: I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

Corey: 50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?

[Sam is playing Zelda II The Adventures Of Link]
Nick: Pop I think we got it.
Sam: Wait a second. I'm on the sixth palace of Hyrule. Yeah! I got past the river devil.
Nick: Terrific.
[Turns off the Nintendo]
Sam: What the hell are you doing? I had the magic key. I got the cross. I was closing in on the barbarian!
Nick: You're losing it pop.

it was a great way to into Super Mario Bros 3... They even gave you a cheat in the film .   How the boy know about the Wrap Zone I never know ....  Funny if you grow up in the 80's you still like this film...admit it   oh one more thing

Haley: [shouts] Aaaaaaaah! He touched my breast!

;D

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Bryan

i saw it on nick once, i wanna see it again.

yeah, it was a walking advertisement for nintendo...but they were totally rad back in 1989 :)

now? hardly...but back then, for sure.

TaNK

Haha, I forgot that this movie even existed.

I miss the glove though :(

The Murph

I remember watching this at a friends house when it hit VHS. I guess I'd have to have been 6 then as movies then used to wait a full year to go from theater to VHS so it would be 1990. We watched it and loved it. I think it just had to do with the fact it had so much video game footage in it. Obviously at that age we weren't watching it for some big storyline. Which is why it was good when it came out. Kids 5-12 loved it. As the older the ages got the least people liked it. I watched it not long ago and to be honest it really sucked lol. I liked how it brought back so many memories but the overall fact is it wasn't a very good movie. As a matter of fact it was as bad as the Power Glove.

This was simply a promotional movie for Nintendo. It worked wonders. Though Super Mario 3 would have been a huge seller regardless, but I'm sure this took it from being a game that would have sold a nice few copies to a game that became one of the biggest games ever.

Oh and it wasn't Luke Wilson in the movie. The Wizard is Luke Edwards. Who also played the older son of the old man in Jeepers Creepers 2. And for the music fans the girl Haley was played by Jenny Lewis from the band Rilo Kiley.

Black Death

my bad murphy....typo  on the Luke thing

Where is my head.   hell we need that movie again...were is the Xbox 360 wizard or the PS3 Wizard  remake lol   

Power Grove at the time great concept ... poorly built,  when you were a kid man if you had that you were the man...now we will laugh at you lol
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

The Murph

It was definitely a great concept. It was like many other concepts that could have been great but sadly were not designed as well as they could have been.

Things like the Virtual Boy could have been good if it had of had more then like 2 colors and actually had more then 6 games. But no point on looking at the past. If we did Nintendo would have more epic fails then anyone.

Don't forget if they had of went through with their plans, we never would have had the Sony Playstation. We would have had the Nintendo CD. Imagine how different the world would have been then.