News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Funeral for a Friend

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, September 09, 2009, 06:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

Hey guys, I have some spare time so I thought I would review the band known as 'Funeral for a Friend'.

I remember the first time I heard this band and what they were called, I was like "What the fuck, emo much". Bare in mind I was 13 so to me, anything foreign was emo. The track 'Rookie of the year' from their debut album 'Casually dressed and in deep conversation' was absolute gold. It was very well put together and each track brought something new to the album. This, in fact was their ONLY album that had some screamo in it. I, for one am not into allot of screamo, but I do enjoy it if it is used properly. As another year passed and their next album 'Hours' came out, I was literally in awe of track 3 on the album 'Roses for the Dead'. That song, to me is in the top 10 best songs ever written sheerly for how well the vocals, melody and harmony work together. That song to me was the stand out of the album, but never fear, the other tracks are excellent as well :)

Album three 'Tales that need telling' was a shock to all who had been previously supporting the bands last two albums. This album, did not  incorporate any of their traditional 'Funeral for a Friend' song methods, but gave a complete new sound and aspect to the band. The album had a 'Boat/Pirate' theme to it (I know that sounds corny but I don't know a better way to describe it). Many fans did shun the album and its music, but it was the album that brought a whole other generation of fans to the table, having people all ages being able to listen to their 'still unique' sounds and enjoy it. There was no real stand out track on this album but it was still a great listen.

As for their latest album 'Memory and Humanity' I can only say "It fucking rocked!". It was Funeral for a Friend going back to their old roots, but not stopping their great new sounds in the process. Too many fans of the band, it was an album to show everything funeral for a friend was about. Whether it is 'Singing about life' or producing a great sounding riff, this album had it all. Too me, it had two stand out tracks. one being "Maybe I am?" for its fantastic lyrics and a well put together song, and "Kicking and Screaming" Once again for its lyrics and a very well put together song.

In conclusion, Funeral for a Friend are an underrated band which has unspeakable talent in each member.
Heres some basic information about the band:

1. The name 'Funeral for a Friend' came from the Elton John song, although some people (Wikipedia) don't think that. Well I know a guy whose best mate used to be in the band for the first three albums and did some in the next, he moved to America and left the band.

2. They are from Wales

3. Five peace band.

4. They don't use solos.

5. They Redefined the 'Emocore' genre to make it an epic rock/emo sound.

Thats all you really need to know about the band, here is a list of songs to listen to/download.

1. Roses for the dead

2. Rookie of the Year

3. Raise the sail

4. Kicking and Screaming

5. Maybe I am.

6. Escape artists never die

7. Juneau

Feel free to tell me what you think of the band if you know them, or if you take my advice and listen to them :)

Regards,

Jordan Danger Merrick

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

! JDM The Professional !

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs