News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Best New Music: The Dead Weather "Sea of Cowards"

Started by Tim-Æ, May 12, 2010, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay, I didn't care about the first Dead Weather album. In fact, with the exception of like two songs, I felt the Dead Weather were a waste of Jack White's time. Combining his powers with some chick other than Meg seemed like a travesty. "Horehound" was decent, but nothing spectacular. I still regarded the band as just another ill-fated attempt at a cash grab. It was a fad I was hoping would go away so that he could focus on the White Stripes again, or even if desperate the Raconteurs.

Well...

That was last year.

"Sea of Cowards" is better than "Horehound," and one of the main reasons is because unlike the previous effort, White and Allison Mosshart share the vocal responsibilities more evenly. The output from the band is more refined and direct. Right from the start "Sea of Cowards" blasts us off with "Blue Blood Blues" a driving opening track where White takes the lead vocals and welcomes us to a new Dead Weather.

I had the massive pleasure of seeing the Dead Weather open for the Flaming Lips last month. On top of the excellent stage display, the new material came off fuckin fantastic live, especially now that White's taking more liberties on guitar, drums, and vocals. He's the ultimate musician in the band, and that's something that was very present in the White Stripes. Here though, he just runs circles around the band.

Oddly enough though, my favorite track on "Sea of Cowards" receives the vocal treatment from Mosshart as she scratches and croons through "The Difference Between Us" which is written by both. Wicked guitar work, assumed only by White which throws back to the "Icky Thump" material. The album is far shorter than I would have expected, most songs are under 4 minutes, but it's more simplified than "Horehound" which seemed to try too hard to sound like a new monster, when it actually came off as slightly plodding. But on "Sea of Cowards" the dualing vocals, the bitchin riffs, and the tightness of the album by far destroy what ever bad taste "Horehound" left in our mouths.

B+

! JDM The Professional !

Had not paid any attention to the Dead Weather after' Horehound' although it was an O.K album, but didn't think they'd bother with any more material.

Seeing your review, I thought I might as well give it a little listen. A big improvement on the last album, and The Difference Between us is a fucking sick song Tim! Nailed that one mate!

All in all, glad they have done this album, really made up for the last!

Regards,

JDM

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs