Does Brock deserve the UFC HWT?

Started by Duckman, November 17, 2008, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Kaiser

Did Brock deserve the title shot?  Probaby not; although, it's debatable when you think about how Honker put it.

Did Brock deserve the title?  Yes.  He beat the current Heavyweight Champion.  Of course he deserves the title.  That goes without saying.  Saying he doesn't deserve the title is like saying Matt Sera didn't deserve the title when he beat GSP when everyone was expecting him to lose.  You beat the champ, you deserve the title.

And no one "put" the title on Lesnar.  This isn't pro wrestling.  He won the title by beating the Ric Flair of MMA.

andrewclash

We can fight about this all day but the fact is brock has no control over this card. He didn't single handed bribe dana white or use his own management power to put himself in a title match. He might have only had 3 fights but hell. He has shown skill and if above anything else you have to respect the man who beat a legend in the UFC in THE NATURAL Randy Couture. Not many can say they have done it.  And again i say this to you mdk and to all the people who think brock doesn't deserve it. It isn't his damn fault so stop fucking making it out to be. Dana white calls the shots. Start bitching at dana white and not towards brock it was his call. I hope brock keeps it now and mauls through everyone. Its highly unlikely but hell the guy has proven himself so far. I agree with John highly brock has been professional and has made the best of what he was given.

MitchMMA

Like I said before, if Brock was a Light Heavyweight he would not have gotten a shot so soon. However because it's in the Heavyweight division and there weren't tons of guys waiting for shots (most guys in the HW division usually win one big match or two and then lose their next thus postponing their shot for awhile), Brock received the shot.

It's like Honker said. Kongo was looked at as the next challenger until Herring beat him and Brock dominated Herring so I can kinda see why they gave the shot to Brock.

Really the only Heavyweight that got screwed out of this was Fabricio Werdum... and he just got knocked out last month.

What M.D.K and the others bashing Brock are still failing to realize is that the UFC is a big time business. It's a pure sport, in my opinion the best pure sport out there (I know others will disagree but whatever lol, MMA is the only sport I watch nowadays) but it's all a business and with the way the economy is... they want to make that big time money.

Now let's see, if they didn't give Brock the shot would any of you guys have spent your hard earned money to see these Randy fight any other Heavyweight in the UFC? With Mir and Nog fighting in December, the UFC didn't exactly have very many options for Randy and in the end they decided to choose the one that would draw the biggest crowd and get the most media attention.

I don't want to sound like a douchebag but seriously... who gives a shit if the guy "didn't deserve it"... look at all the fucking media attention this event got on ESPN and all these other big time stations? This is very good for MMA... it continues to get bigger and bigger and pretty soon I am confident it will be the biggest sport in the world. I'm biased yes, but looked at how fast it's growing.

I'm sorry if I sounded like a prick, but I had to add my two cents :P

Brandon

The UFC, just like all the other major promotions of  the like, including WWE, are ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Dana saw that Lesnar was going to be a HUGE draw, and even attract more fans to the sport. So, he sets in motion a push for the guy. Is it wrong, no. Is it right, no. It's business.

Enough bitching about him being champion. He beat the guy and won the belt. It wasn't scripted, it wasn't set up, it wasn't called for stoppage. Brock beat the guy and took his belt.

That's all there is too it. This is his time to shine, his time to prove himself, and his time to show that he isn't just a fluke. He won, get over it. Seriously.

Cory

Tho I'm not one of the 'brock bashers' I wont be impressed until he defends it.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Exile

Quote from: Guille on November 17, 2008, 05:09:10 PM
that is so WRONG! He was gonna leave WWE to play football, when that didnt pan out he gave MMA a shot instead of going back to Vince with his tail between his legs.

Ya know whats funny is he didnt play college ball and i dont know if he played high school or not. He went from NOTHING to very nearly getting a spot on the Vikings, he lasted longer actual drafted players before they cut him. It was pretty damn impressive.

Brandon

MDK, you're basically bashing the guy for branching out and trying different things when he wasn't happy with pro wrestling anymore. He was at the top off WWE for a very long time, he nearly landed a permanent spot on an NFL team, and now he's on the top of the UFC mountain.

Still going to say he doesn't deserve anything?

Leech

I say that Lesnar did not deserve the shot at the title, nor does he deserve to be the champ. Anyone who beats the champ is deserving of being the title holder, regardless of whether or not they actually deserved the shot in the first place, but that doesn't fit here. I don't care that he's green, I don't care that he's only had 4 fights, and I really don't care that Dana gave him the shot because he figured it would pay well. What I care about is the fact that Nog was awarded the Interim HW title, therefore the 1st contender. That's what the interim belt is for. How it is supposed to work is the Interim champ fights the actual champ to determine who the true champion is. This hasn't happened, so I can't call Lesnar the champ at all.

For those of you who don't know, Couture left the UFC on very bad terms. Why he did this is a topic for another day, but the fact of the matter is he retired as the champ. Therefore Nog and Tim Sylvia fought for the UFC HW title. At the time it was considered the Interim title, but later was declared the UFC HW title, due to Couture's contract dispute. (If the champ retires, you can't exactly call the Interim champ, the interim champ forever.) Ounce Couture came back, they started just calling Couture the champ again, seemingly forgetting about Nog's Interim championship.

Long story short, Nog was robbed of his OFFICIAL HW championship because Couture came back. The FIRST person who should have gotten a shot at Couture was Nog, not Lesnar. Until Nog fights Lesnar, the UFC has no HW champ in my eyes.

MitchMMA

Well they weren't exactly going to call off the Nog/Mir fight when Randy came back :P

That's the only reason it wasn't Nog vs Couture instead really. Nog was already supposed to fight Mir so that's why Brock was given the shot, they need an opponent for Randy.

Werdum was more deserving at the time, he literally got screwed... but other than him who else at the time should have gotten a shot? Kongo? Herring beat Kongo, Brock dominated Herring. Cain Valasquez? Dude's a beast with a 4-0 record and a similar fighting style to Brock's, he'll get his shot soon but I understand why they gave it to Brock instead. Shane Carwin? He'll get his shot soon, he's another monster with a lot of potential. Gonzaga? Yeah after Randy destroyed him last year, I bet everyone is going to spend 50 bucks to watch a rematch.

I agree it should have been interim champ vs. champ... it would have been if Nog wasn't already set to fight Mir in December.

Now they could have waited for Randy to fight the winner of Nog/Mir... but that's a heck of a wait for a guy who hasn't fought in over a year and is really eager to get back into the cage.

I think this little mini 4 man tournament deal is pretty interesting IMO.

It's going to be Brock vs. Nog and in the end... the legendary Minotauro will be undisputed HW champ!

WAR NOGUEIRA!!!

JohnS.

Jus to add a little tidbit, that maybe some of you missed during the fight. Brock is 1 of 4, I believe, to fight for a title with under 5 MMA bouts to his name...Another 1 of those 4 was...Randy Couture...Ultimate Japan, 1997. He defeated Maurice Smith...and then went on to become a HOFer, and MMA legend. So let's just give Brock a chance, and see what he can do before we start badmouthing him, ok?

Rebel Child

MitchMMA

Good find RC! That was an interesting article, they covered a lot of good points and topics.

Rebel Child

Figured it was time I contributed something.

Hey Mitch? Get a recpie or something from your mom and post it in the nook :) it'll be a trade off.

MitchMMA

lol my mom can't cook very well :P

I'll see what I can find though haha.

TaNK

I actually would love to see a Brock vs. Cro Cop matchup. A prime Mirko ate wrestlers for breakfast.

Unless, Brock nutchecked him all the time.