News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

League of legends

Started by Jennifer, September 23, 2014, 06:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

We already had a discussion about league but it was piggy backing a DOTA thread so I figured I'd make a fresh new one.

I know we've had a couple players in the past, but the short version is that league is one part RTS, one part RPG where you control a single character - or champion - in a team of four other people, fighting an enemy team of five others. The objective of the main game mode is to take a series of towers/turrets and push further and further into the enemy territory until you destroy their base, called the 'nexus'.

And repeat. What adds depth though is that there are over a hundred champions in the game, lending itself to an enormous range of potential match ups and team compositions; the map and the objectives stay the same, but no two games will be quite alike thanks to the huge number of characters available.

'Tis free to play and though you don't start with every character unlocked, you can build up to getting them with the ingame currency which you get just from playing. You CAN throw money at it if you are impatient, but there's no obligations to, and no champions are inherently designed to be 'better' than others, so it's not a matter of starting out with rubbish beginner characters and getting stomped by people who have the shiny 'better' ones. Theoretically every character is equal, although a few are considered stronger or weaker than others at any given time thanks to balancing and the metagame.

So yeah. I play on the NA server and a little bit on EUW (though not nearly as much, cause NA is where my friends play). I'm currently gold rank in the league system. It's not a bad time to start following the game because it's the middle of the world championships, which is increasingly become a pretty huge thing; it's been gaining the attention of some major sponsors lately and in terms of online sports League's approaching the top of the mountain right now.

Anyone else?

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Kirk

My students play it constantly. Some even missed my exam because they were on it. It's a dangerous game to start playing if you ever want to see sunlight again.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Stoner

I play on and off.  Mostly just ARAM or bot games with new champs since I'm pretty dismal at it lol.  If I had to rank myself I'd say Wood 5.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Black Death

I play it when it first started ... was never good at it ... but it was fun
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Kirk

One of my friends at Uni was obsessed with Dota, so I played that a fair bit. I was shit.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Jennifer

I do think one thing there is for the game is that it can have a really weird difficulty curve because of the size of the playerbase, especially when you're first starting out and a solid chunk of players you run across are actually people playing on low level accounts who are very experienced with the game. It is a hell of a timesink though, I'm not sure I want to guess how much time I've spent playing it in the year and a half or so since I picked it up, lol.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

! JDM The Professional !

Like you Jen, I've put way too much time into LoL. Brilliant game that no matter how long you've been playing (I started playing DotA 9 years ago and was an original beta LoL player) you've always got more to learn.

I am taking a long Break atm as I need to have a life.. lol

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jennifer

Been a long time, but I figured I'd rez this because the world championship final for league is in the next couple weeks and I'm pretty hyped up for it. I dunno if anyone else finds watching esports interesting, but there has been a lot of excitement on my end, especially watching the team I support make it to semis.

Black Death

well esports does have some appeal , especially if it game that you play , because you feel it something that you can do also.  very interesting entertainment
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

J-Reb

Reviving this thread. I finally took the leap after being utterly bored with any and every other MMORPG. I tried resubbing WOW a few weeks ago and it was just blah. Couldn't do it.

I've played 7-8 games now of LOL and have enjoyed it quite a bit. The PVP without having to grind as much truly makes this a much more enjoyable experience than any other game out there and, well, it's free - can't beat that! Anybody else playing?