News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Wrestlemania Thread

Started by Ty, March 27, 2012, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

H vs Taker was SO GOOD. So much better than last years match. And at first I was sceptical of HBK's involvement and thought it would be a) too many personalities and b) out of character for the entire role the streak has had but I was so wrong. It was the best match on the card and a definite 5* for me. Rock/Cena was good, mostly because it was fun to see it actually happen. Also Rock's still got it!!

Finally though it makes me laugh how people say who needs the win out of Rock and Cena... Neither of them needed the win. This match wasn't about the storyline of the company or anything like that. They are both much much bigger than the WWE. This was about Vince getting the win and bringing in some neutral people to watch something that non-wrestling fans wouldn't usually dish out the cash for. And out of the two rap performances... Flo Rida totally kicked MGK's butt.
SixersEagles

[/center]

thefourthjonasbrother

Getting lost in the shuffle, I think, is Big Show's win. I don't follow wrestling like I used to: I'm a sporadic viewer who only tunes in for the big events. The way he reacted after his win made me think he's going to retire very soon. They kept harping on his Wrestlemania troubles, and he finally got his moment. I know the HITC was the "End of an Era" (which was just too damn great) but could it be that Big Show is retiring?

The Rock/Cena match was everything I expected: the initial feeling each other out, the tease, the rest holds, and the big finish. I was surprised The Rock won (my friend and I jumped out of our chairs and cheered like in our childhood, which was awesome.)

The biggest letdown was Punk/Jericho. It felt like a funeral scene away from being Bossman/Big Show, and it very easily could have been Steamboat/Savage. Hopefully Punk/Austin is next year's main event.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Russaholic on April 02, 2012, 09:58:09 AM
My argument on Bryan vs. Sheamus is that a long, sound match between those two at Mania would get epically lost in the shuffle amongst Punk and Jericho, HIAC and the Main Event. At the next PPV they can have a fucking good rematch that will be 2nd or 3rd top match on the card depending how else they book, and that match we can all enjoy and it'll have its pride of place there. I do agree that it somewhat cheapens the belt (especially as Sheamus is the first rumble winner to win it at 'Mania since Undertaker in 2007), but I don't think in the long run it will do all that much harm. Bryan can be incredible out of it, Sheamus is a worthy world champion, we've got people like Rhodes snapping at the belt now too probably... viva la 20 second match! Haha.

That's all well and good but you have to remember that people fork out money for PPVs in the States and Mania is the most expensive. Granted the overall show seems to have gotten a good review (I haven't watched) but anyone who paid for it and was particularly looking forward to that match has to feel a bit miffed. It was after all the winner of the Royal Rumble versus the WHC. Being a fan of both parties involved this was one of the "hidden gems" I was looking forward to. Matches at Mania should not be sacrificed to build story for yet another PPV people have to pay to see the next chapter.

I will concede however that anyone forking out money on the basis of any match other than Rock/Cena and HIAC would have been taking quite a gamble, and a "fool and his money" saying comes to miond, but still... just giving you the perspective of someone who might have PAID money instead of WINNING it  ;D

Drama Queen

As for Rock winning, that bugs me, it's nothing to do with passing of the torch which is just a cliche as far as I can make out, it's more to do with the kayfabe logic.

When Lawrence Taylor beat Bam Bam Bigelow, I wasn't overly thrilled that a footballer can beat an established wrestler with minimal training, but hey at least Bam Bam was never anywhere near being the top WWE guy.

But last night apparantly the undisputed top guy over that last decade lost cleanly to a movie star who has not wrestled in seven years. I mean I can't see it as any other way but that the past is superior to the present. Which is ok when a bunch of us make that complaint on the internet, but when the owner of the company admits it by letting the proof be acted out on the biggest stage, it makes me think, "what's the point in watching anymore when Cena dominates these guys and he is inferior to the Rock?"

I may be over analysing, but wrestling has to have some sort of logic for me, like any tv show. So looking at it in a kayfabe way, I really need closure on this.

I really like your view on this topic Russ
Quote from: Russaholic on April 02, 2012, 07:01:39 AM
Rock vs. Cena was good. No two ways about it. The match kept me marking out at points and wondering who was going to win, even if it wasn't technically sound or really all that brilliant compared to the other wrestling on the show. At first I was annoyed at Rock winning, but in retrospect it's perfect. Rock's probably going away, and if not, he'll probably only be there every other month for a special appearence before maybe a re-match. If Cena wins and Rock goes away, all that happens is its reaffirmed that Cena's the best... great... but he could beat Jericho, Punk, Sheamus, Orton etc. to prove that. If Rock wins and Rock goes away... 1) FINALLY there is someone out there that can beat Cena, it FINALLY makes him less of the Superman he is and now we know he CAN be beaten clean... 2) Character development. Now it's not Cena standing tall from his win, now it's him coping with the fact he trash talked Rock for a year and couldn't back it up, now it's him dealing with the loss and the fact he got cocky and ended up with his tail between his legs. It's awesome!

This viewpoint I like, but I still need Rock stick around to job to someone in the future on the roster so this underlying feeling goes away for me.

Russ

I wholeheartedly expect a rematch of some description down the line, it'll just be interesting to see how Cena gets it without looking ridiculously whiny. Maybe we'll see Cena absorb this loss and come out a lot more angered and hard-hitting so he can beat Rock next time.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Rob

I don't think by any means that Rock is done with wrestling for the WWE... In my opinion the feeling I got from the match itself is that this isn't the end of the rivalry, seeing as the build up far surpassed the match itself. I think there will most probably be a rematch in the future at Mania... I guess it all depends on tonights Raw. The difference between that match and H/Taker is that this match was left open-ended and the HITC was very definitely the closing of a chapter.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Doug E Fresh

Quote from: Russaholic on April 02, 2012, 06:30:19 PM
I wholeheartedly expect a rematch of some description down the line.

hooray for once in a lifetime things happening twice in said lifetime!

stupid wwe

Russ

Maybe WWE is clinging onto the idea of the world ending on December 21st so it really CAN be once in a lifetime...
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Snap

Quote from: Drama Queen on April 02, 2012, 06:22:27 PM
But last night apparantly the undisputed top guy over that last decade lost cleanly to a movie star who has not wrestled in seven years.

I think it clearly defines my main issue with Cena, specifically that The Rock can step back in an look just as good if not better than Cena after such a lengthy hiatus. There's no questioning that, between the two, Cena possesses superior strength but Rock clearly has better technique. It's like ever since he was given "the ball" Cena just became lazy with his in-ring performance and hasn't worked to improve in that area.

Quote from: Russaholic on April 02, 2012, 06:30:19 PM
Maybe we'll see Cena absorb this loss and come out a lot more angered and hard-hitting so he can beat Rock next time.

I know it's a pipe dream, but maybe Cena will realize what I mentioned above and actually work to improve his skills, both on the technical side of things and his "acting" skills, which are mediocre at best. Why the hell is Cena the one screaming when he locks an STF on somebody?

Just to be fair, though, I'll throw some criticism Rock's way... which, from what I've heard, has also been brought up by Bret Hart, but if Rock's gonna use the Sharpshooter, he's gotta do it properly.

Gary

Rock had been fucking up the sharpshooter back when he was a regular wrestler.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Black Death

standard 3 match feud ...re-match at summerslam

rubbermatch at Survivor Series or another PPV... actually good long term booking

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Snap

Quote from: Gary on April 02, 2012, 07:42:07 PM
Rock had been fucking up the sharpshooter back when he was a regular wrestler.

Exactly, which is why I brought it up. If Cena would actually work on improving his performance, Rock could perfect the Sharpshooter.

jagilki