News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Mystery B Theater - Bound for Glory

Started by Triple B, October 14, 2010, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple B

That’s right, the show that was so bad, the internet didn’t want me to upload it for 2 days straight, it’s TNA’s Bound for Glory 2010.

In this episode of Mystery B Theater, we watch Bound for Glory, TNA’s “Big” yearly PPV that will probably bring in about 5,000 buys. This was a PPV that started out great, and just decreased in awesomeness with each minute. By now, most people know what went down, so I cut the PPV in about half, just showing portions I wanted to discuss. I also show the entire AWESOME Motor City Machine Guns vs. Generation ME tag match that opened the show. Enjoy… and fuck you, Vince Russo.

http://fan.thevwf.net
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jonny Worldbeater

Watching now.

Just got finished watching the Machine Guns match and again, it's probably much my personal tastes, but I didn't like it.

It was better than that other MCGM/Young Bucks match I saw on Impact, mostly because 1. They had more time to actually work a match, and 2. because they worked a more basic, traditional Rock 'N Roll Express-style tag team structure. And I probably would've liked it a lot more because of that... If it had ended like 5 minutes earlier.

Seriously, there's false finishes and then there's just jerking off. And this time, it's actually BOTH teams I'm holding to blame for it, because these guys just would. Not. Stop. Doing. Fucking. MOVES~! I mean, seriously, you went on for 6 straight minutes doing spots after you got the hot tag? Really? Do you fucking NEED that? Don't you think that maybe, just MAYBE, after 6 straight minutes of doing MOVES~! that somebody might not be so much into the match, as much as just waiting for you to get it fucking over with?

It's simple guys. Faces shine in the opening. You got that down ok. Heels get the heat, work one of the faces over for a while, and finally he gets the hot tag. You got THAT down ok. His partner makes the comeback, runs wild, and cleans house. You got THAT down ok. Then you go to the finish, maybe have the teams trade a couple of big moves to keep the crowd on their toes, and then you take it home. Simple.

And by 'a couple of big moves', I mean maybe 2 established finishers from each team, maybe 3 at a stretch. I do NOT mean, go on for 10 minutes trying to get in as much shit as possible, not even ATTEMPTING your PRIMARY FINISHING MOVE until 5 minutes after you started doing false finishes. If you have to hit literally 11 finishing moves (not counting fakeouts) before the match ends, I think you're doing something wrong.

I mean, I can appreciate good wrestling, and I even recognise that at least the Machine Guns are a really good team, and honestly - while I wasn't all that 'impressed' by anything these guys were doing - for a good while I thought they were doing a really good job at working a basic tag match.

There was even one spot in particular when the Bucks got the heat and hit Shelley with the same move that put him on the shelf throughout the course of the angle (which was promptly & unfortantely lost in the shuffle amongst the ten million other spots they did), but I'm sorry, I just can't get into this kind of a match where guys just do a million moves, mostly just for the sake of doing them. It just doesn't work for me.

And if you thought it was an awesome match, I don't hold begrudge you of that, but it's just not my style. Maybe if I got used to watching lucha where psychology takes much more of a backseat to doing spectacular moves (Hell, I can enjoy Dragon Gate well enough for that) I'd be more into it, but I just don't see this as the 'phenomenal MOTYC' that so many others seem to.

It pisses me off doubly so, because I think in this case you had a perfect example of two teams having a really good match, and then ruining it by going on way past it's peak.

I could go on and on at length about why I didn't like it and why I still don't see anything in the Young Bucks whatsoever, but I don't think anyone really wants to hear it, and I've probably ranted long enough as it is.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Jonny Worldbeater

And you know something else, I'll even admit this:

The MCMG/Gen Me feud, storyline and matches are by far the best thing going on in TNA right now.

But the thing is, when you find something decent amongst a pile of shit, it's automatically going to look a million times better by comparison. The problem is, if you've only got something worse to compare it to you're never going to know just how good it actually is.

Personally, I think that's a big part of the problem with wrestling or entertainment in general nowadays, the balance is so skewed between good and bad that a lot of people tend to lose perspective, and become prone to hyperbole.

I guess what I'm saying is that people need to maintain a balanced perspective, and you can't do that if your field of vision is limited.

Make an effort. Broaden your horizons. Don't just be content with what's accessible and seek out those things you've heard so many good things about and see for yourself just how good (or bad) they are.

Hondo

I'll agree partially with you, JB.

Yes, that match turned into a spotfest towards the end, and maybe it was overkill. (I still thought it was a great match, for the record.)  But that's what seems to appeal to today's fan.

Whereas I enjoy matches with storytelling and believable ringwork, today's fan (especially the younger ones) want spotfests. It's the reason Jeff Hardy is (was?) so popular. In that respect, it was the right thing for the bookers to do. Let two supremely-talented teams throw everything they got against each other.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Jonny Worldbeater

Ok, so just got finished watching the whole thing, and here's a few of my random thoughts, and again TNA fans be forewarned:

[spoiler]- So Madison Rayne, who I have no idea how, when or why she became a heel besides the fact that she just started screeching one day, and Victoria - who lost a career match TO Madison Rayne and coming back randomly on a motorcycle to team up with her (by costing her the Knockouts title the night she first came back) and was up until that point always a babyface - are the heel team.

The Beautiful People - who had ALWAYS been heels before by going around saying that they were better looking than everyone else, forcibly putting paper bags over the heads of people they deemed to be ugly, whose characters are apparently based on Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, two of the most loathsome people in the world, and whose motto to date is 'cleansing the world, one ugly person at a time' - are the babyface team because Madison Rayne left the group.

And every woman in TNA, almost without exception, is portrayed as a bitch and a lesbian. Hey Vince Russo, have issues with women much?

- Eric Young and Orlando Jordan may be the worst Tag Team ever. One of them is a guy who was turned into a comedy goofball by landing on his head and getting a concussion (because, you know, that's how concussions work), and the other guy is - in character - a legitimate sexual predator who apparently dresses like Lady Gaga (because, you know, that's how bisexuals works).

Their gimmick is literally 'Brain Damage & Rape'.

And they're a COMEDY act, because apparently Brain Damage and Rape are hilarious. I mean, remember that time that one guy who was revealed to have suffered severe brain damage murdered his wife and child and then hung himself? Oh boy, that was hysterical wasn't it? Or how about the guys who suffered from severe depression believed to be linked to brain trauma and killed themselves? Wasn't that the funniest thing you've ever heard?

I mean, it's not like there's been any recent research come to light that concussions in sports are a serious issue with grave effects on the wellbeing and quality of life of the people who have suffered from them, right?

I mean, life's a Looney Tunes cartoon; you get bonked on the head and you just make a couple of goofy faces and act confused. It's not like a concussion has ever hurt anybody.

...Fuck you TNA. Fuck Russo and Dixie and Dreamer and anyone remotely involved in putting this gimmick together. You're miserable, delusional, fucked up excuses for human beings.

- Got no real problem with the finish to the Lethal/Williams match, though that finishing spot has always bothered me. I mean, how does it work exactly? One guy throws his opponent off the top rope to the canvas, but because the other guy manages to roll through it, somehow the effects of landing flat on their back from about 5-feet in the air reverse themselves onto the person executing the move, making it so their unable to kick out. I could maybe understand if the counter was halfway through and it ended with the guy countering the move slamming the other guy into the mat and pinning him, but the way it's done it just seems like he no-sells the move and the guy who was originally doing the move has to sell it instead. It's just one of those moves that makes wrestling look really fake.

As far as the Shore thing goes, they look like the biggest douches ever, which I guess is a good thing for a heel, but I have literally zero interest in it. I don't care about the show, which is apparently just about celebrating this kind of vapidity and douchebaggery by giving these oxygen thieves unwarranted attention, and I don't care to watch a wrestling gimmick built around a show about a pack of trashy douchebags I'd never want to watch anyway, especially when it just looks like a rip-off of Zack Ryder, which is about as low on the totem pole as you can get.

And how is the angle supposed to work anyway? Especially when they've airing these segments OPPOSITE THE ACTUAL SHOW. It's not 'I want to see these assholes get their faces kicked in heat', it's 'change the channel, no seriously, right now, we're telling you you're not missing anything and in fact this other show is much better than ours, so you should totally change the channel and watch that instead' heat.

- The Abyss/Van Dam thing was hilariously bad. I mean, the whole Abyss angle has just been such cheesy, stupid ridiculous bullshit all the way through, but seriously? You sell a shot to the stomach with a board covered in nails by immediately bleeding from the mouth?

Your understanding of basic human anatomy, the kind a 4-year old would know, is so bad that you think puncturing your stomach makes you INSTANTLY bleed from the mouth?

You do realise the whole concept of 'selling' is to make the damage look realistic, right? That the whole point is to make it look LESS FAKE than it actually is?

Also, looking at the ring, that looked like the least violent hardcore match in a long, long time. And didn't RVD look like he was really into it? You know, not bothering to take off his shirt for the match, playing to the crowd the whole time while the 'Monster' who tried to KILL HIM WITH A BOARD WITH NAILS IN IT is still sitting in the ring making goofy faces.

- The Samoa Joe thing; I just can't get over how fucking obvious (not to mention pointless and retarded) these 'swerves' are. Jeff Jarrett's there, standing on the apron - apparently having done absolutely nothing the whole match - holding out his hand to make the tag to Joe, and waits until literally the last second when Joe is half an inch away from making a tag, then just drops off the apron and walks off, leaving Samoa Joe as the only person in the fucking UNIVERSE who didn't see this coming 600 billion lightyears away. There are single-celled organisms in far-off distant galaxies that saw this fucking swerve coming.

And you've gotta wonder why the fuck Jarrett even bothered? What was the point of stringing Joe along this whole time? Why'd he bother coming out for the match at all? Why was he banging on the apron and holding out his hand to rally behind Joe when he knew he was just gonna walk away anyway? And why did he do all this on the one night when Nash and Sting specifically said he would? I guess he just wanted to fuck with him.

And I've gotta admit, I actually kind of liked the reaction to Jarrett's turn. I liked how Nash & Sting & Pope are all like 'Hey, sorry guy, but we tried to warn you' and Joe's all confused, has no idea what's going on (just like anybody trying to follow this whole Nash/Sting backstage shadow politics of a company that died 10 years ago & assume the audience knows all about it 'Sid, I guess you forgot to bring your SCISSORS' angle), and is just like 'Fuck it, I'll take youse all on' and they're just like 'Ok, dipshit, you wanna finish the fight we'll fuckin' finish it'.

BTW, that Sting heel turn worked out great for you again, didn't it Vinny Ru?

- The ECW/Fourtune package. You know, for a video package attempting to promote a War Games match, there sure is a fuckton of emphasis on Mick Foley & Ric Flair. Boy, I would've liked watch that match (which was apparently awesome) on the PPV instead of for free on Impact.

And why are the ECW guys the faces again? The old guys holding on well past their prime and stealing the spotlight from the young, athletic up-and-comers who've never gotten their chance to shine. Isn't this the kind of thing people hated the old guys in WCW for?

Doesn't it strike you as odd that when the 'heels' say 'we're the future of this business' 'we're the better athletes' 'we're the better wrestlers', 'we're gonna beat them at their own game', 'they're past their prime, we're in our prime', 'if they mess with us, we're not afraid to mess them up', etc. you think 'they're absolutely right, these guys are pretty fuckin' cool'?

And when the 'faces' say 'we wanna hurt them and make them bleed because they pissed us off when we stole their show' you think 'what a pack of cocks'?

Once again I gotta mention Tommy Dreamer's 'MMA outfit'. Seriously dude, when you spend HALF AN HOUR CRYING ON TV you look like less of a pansy-ass pussy than you do in that getup.

- Ric Flair is the highlight of this entire company. The guy can make anything entertaining. And wait, so you have all of FOURtune (all six of 'em, not counting Doug Williams) on  the interview set to cut promos, but you don't give the mic to James Storm? Apart from Flair he's got the most charisma of the bunch! And you put him in the back and don't let him talk? At least AJ cut a hell of a promo.

Seriously, watch that segment and tell me you can take your eyes off Flair and Storm.

Oh, and apparently because they can't use the 4-Horsemen hand sign, now they've adopted Matt Hardy's Shocker instead. I know when I think 'elite wrestling stable', I think 'two in the pink, one in the stink'.

- Finally, THEY...

Wow. That's all I can say.

I mean, wow... That was bad.

This really illustrated to me a key problem with TNA and Vince Russo-style booking in general; even if you have a good idea (which, based on what I've heard and as hard as it may be to comprehend, Russo actually does have some good ideas), if you can't EXECUTE said idea well, then it's a complete and total fucking waste.

I mean, if you're a TNA fan and you went into this show imagining all the possibilities that could come out of this angle, I'd bet dollars to donuts anything you came up with was a thousand times better than what you actually got.

Eric Bischoff coming down to the ring, with a chair, for no discernable reason, apparently to hit one of the two guys who were ALREADY KNOCKED OUT in the ring. You know how I could tell they were knocked out? Because they DIDN'T GET UP FOR THE PROCEEDING TWO AND A HALF MINUTES!

So Hogan comes out on crutches, obviously having no idea how to actually use them, and takes forever to get to the ring. Randy Orton walks to the ring faster than the Hulkster, and he walks that slow intentionally.

You've gotta feel bad watching Hogan here because the guy is completely immobile. I mean you can just tell he's in agony just trying to put one foot in front of the other. The guy can't walk up the 2-foot steps. The guy can't get in the ring without assistance. He's not selling, he's just that messed up. And now you're supposed to BOO this man. You're supposed to HATE this man. You're supposed to want to see this feeble, 60-year-old broken down former wrestling icon get his ass kicked.

So now Hogan gives Eric one of his crutches and Eric awkwardly takes it, then looks confused that he's taken it.

Then, awkwardly, they look like they're going to swordfight with the crutches, but before you can even get that visual, Jeff Hardy gets in the ring and tries to play peacemaker. Then Hogan gives Jeff his crutch. Then it looks like Jeff is going to fight Bischoff. Then Angle FINALLY gets up and Jeff breaks a crutch over his back.

SWERVE~! BET YOU NEVER SAW THAT COMING! NOT IN A MILLION YEARS DID YOU EVER THINK THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! HOGAN AND BISCHOFF WERE 'THEY' ALL ALONG, AND YOU NEVER KNEW DID YOU?! I'M SUCH A CLEVER, INNOVATIVE AND NOT AT ALL CRIPPLINGLY PREDICTABLE BOOKER!

So then Bischoff hands Jeff the other crutch and he hits Anderson with it, who proceeds to do the hammiest oversell I've seen in quite a while. Apparently the same shot that knocked Angle out cold forces Anderson to get back on his feet and stumble around into a Twist of Fate without the twist.

Then Bischoff drags the referee over to count the pin. Kicking him while he does it. Rules? What're those?

Then they cut to a shot of Dixie with her vapid, vacant single expression. Apparently, putting a finger on your chin and looking to the side is how Dixie Carter expresses concern. Or outrage. Or disgust. Or whatever fucking emotion she's utterly failing to pull off. It could be gassiness for all I know.

Then Bischoff and Hogan raise Jeff's hand and give him the belt, and Jeff looks fucking HILARIOUS looking at his face in the belt, then looking away, then looking back again, then away, then back, then away, then back... He's like a bird seeing it's reflection in a window.

Then Jarrett comes out. Then Abyss comes out. Guess the internal bleeding just cleared up in the last hour or so. Then they have a party over the remains of Angle and Anderson while fans pelt the ring with garbage, and I see 2 possible reasons for this:

1. They were legitimately pissed off at the angle, but not in the 'I hate you Hogan, I hate you Jeff, you betrayed us!' kind of way. More in the 'This is the fucking angle you leave us with at the end of the show with?!' kind of way.
2. The assholes in TNA management and production talked to all the fans before the show and said 'OK, we want you to throw garbage in the ring after the main event because we're trying to re-do an angle we did 14 years ago'.

Tenay goes on about Jeff Hardy betraying his image as a 'role model'. This long after he got multiple suspensions and left the WWE for doing drugs and is currently awaiting trial on suspicion of drug trafficking. Yeah, Mike, I think the 'role model' image was pretty much done before this. And of course, it's such a great idea to turn your most over babyface & leading merchandise pusher heel and giving him the World Championship when he could very well be going to jail soon, just so you can attempt to pull off an angle as big and successful as the nWo angle - an angle you've repeatedly tried and failed to re-create - neither of which you actually accomplished here.

Then RVD comes out to get some answers from his 'best friend' Jeff Hardy about why he's hanging out with Abyss, the guy who chokeslammed him off the stage to start this whole 'They' shit. That's a good question, and I'd like an answer to that to. But Jeff's all 'Because SHUT UP!' and slugs him with the belt, because he's totally a heel now, like seriously, for really reals. Angle and Anderson are still KO'd in the ring. There is WAY too much shit going on at once.

Tenay says we're all gonna remember 10/10/10. Betcha 6 months from now we won't, Mike. Taz says 'TNA IS FOREVER CHANGED', by which of course he means, like all changes in TNA, it's exactly the same. Nobody thinks this is a big deal, guys. You've pulled this shit a million times before and not once have you ever delivered. There's only so many times you can say there's gonna be a 'BIG SURPRISE' that will 'CHANGE THE INDUSTRY FOREVER' before even the diest of diehards get wise to your game and call you on your bullshit.[/spoiler]

Quote from: JackHondo on October 15, 2010, 08:14:33 AMYes, that match turned into a spotfest towards the end, and maybe it was overkill. (I still thought it was a great match, for the record.)  But that's what seems to appeal to today's fan.

Whereas I enjoy matches with storytelling and believable ringwork, today's fan (especially the younger ones) want spotfests.

Well, if that's what today's fans are into I guess more power to 'em, but personally it's my opinion that today's fans sound like rather superficial, docile, easily-pleased people who missed out on the magic that made wrestling great, and I feel sorry for them because of it. Then again, given the product the majority of them are exposed to, it's hard to blame them. I guess shallow wrestling just breeds shallow wrestling fans.

Triple B

I'll admit, and I said this prior to Bound for Glory, that the build to this match was horrendous.

MCMG and Beer Money have argueably the best series of matches in 2010, with a definte MOTY contender in their last match. 

There is no build on that show for this match, it's buried halfway through the show, and never talked about again on that show.

The next week, both teams are kept off of TV.

The week after, Beer Money is now in FOURtune as flunkies who have done nothing as a team since.

One half of MCMG is then "taken out" and kept off of TV until the other week.

They are taken out by a debuting tag team that nobody tech knows or knows about, that isn't a "size" team at all.  They pass up all the tag-teams in TNA, and apparently Beer Money is now content with going "Oh well" and not continueing a feud with MCMG.

Now that Generation ME has lost, it appears they will be left off the picture with NO Feud, cause 3D needs to come in and fuck up a good thing.

Now, both tag teams, hot after the BEST match on their PPV, are kept off of TV... again.  Not even to just answer Team 3D's challenge.  Maybe even a return match of MCMG and ME, with 3D coming out and interfering?  SOMETHING? 

They pulled this shit in WCW all the time.  They'd get someone who was hot, or did something warranting some follow up to continue their heat, and they'd send them home.  It was a ploy to make sure nobody gets more heat on them than the top guys (Hogan, Nash, etc etc).  And that is why this angle very may well kill TNA.  They already have a bloated group of about 2/3 of the roster, with nobody even left to oppose "They." 

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Adam Wrong

B, I fucking love these shows and recommended them to a non efedding friend who also loves them

Triple B

Awesome!

I'm going to do this week's Impact (downloading it right now) but I've got something special in mind.

Triple B

Side note...

You can post comments on these things on the Fan site... DO SO.

Marq

Tenay says we're all gonna remember 10/10/10. Betcha 6 months from now we won't, Mike. Taz says 'TNA IS FOREVER CHANGED', by which of course he means, like all changes in TNA, it's exactly the same. Nobody thinks this is a big deal, guys. You've pulled this shit a million times before and not once have you ever delivered. There's only so many times you can say there's gonna be a 'BIG SURPRISE' that will 'CHANGE THE INDUSTRY FOREVER' before even the diest of diehards get wise to your game and call you on your bullshit.

What'd Cornette say about surprises on his video with Gabe? Letting people know you have a surprise, by its very definition, doesn't make it a surprise or something? Ugh. Regardless, the "change the industry" shit is at a breaking point. It's hard to take the claim seriously in the first place, let alone time and time again when the first game-changer didn't really change anything. I'm a TNA fan, but c'mon, guys -- the car can have a great paint job, but if the engine sucks, it doesn't matter.

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on October 15, 2010, 08:45:20 AM
Well, if that's what today's fans are into I guess more power to 'em, but personally it's my opinion that today's fans sound like rather superficial, docile, easily-pleased people who missed out on the magic that made wrestling great, and I feel sorry for them because of it. Then again, given the product the majority of them are exposed to, it's hard to blame them. I guess shallow wrestling just breeds shallow wrestling fans.

How about you DON'T blame them then, JB? The new fans of today's wrestling are kids, dude -- with the clear majority of them thinking wrestling is completely real, so you can't really judge them for not knowing the intricacies of shit we take for granted like false finishes, high spots, and hot tags. Maybe when they're older they'll step into the stuff that you dig, like a lot of us have at one point or another, but c'mon, man. Remember that you, like all of us, were screaming marks just like them at one point, regardless of age. This is THEIR magic, so don't "feel sorry" for them. I mean, no eight year-old WWE fan will care or know what the fuck a Misawa is 'til they get older, right?
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Marq

Oh, and B -- I think the whole point to the finish of the Lethal/Williams match was that Williams has been denigrating the X-Division style since, well... forever really. So, after his wrestling-based stuff wasn't really enough to put Lethal away, he got cocky (as evidenced by the slaps and stuff) and decided to finish off Lethal with something high-risk. It didn't work out, Lethal countered, and Williams' plan backfired. Even the announcers were putting over how strange it was for Williams to go up top like that, so. So yeah, the pin DID come out of "fucking nowhere" 'cause it was an X-Div counter to an X-Div move. I thought it was pretty creative, actually. Williams makes a stupid mistake, and the underdog babyface makes a flash pin.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Triple B

Yeah, but Lethal was dead on his feet, and couldn't even stand up on his knees 5 seconds prior, but he has the ability to hold onto Williams, reverse teh move, and hold him down for the 3 count, then grab the belt and go mug with the audience?

Whoever the road agent for the match, or whoever booked it, should have left out the slaps and Lethal dead on his feet, but just dazed, Williams goes for the move and Lethal counters.  Lethal remains in the ring until Shore comes and takes him out.

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Marq on October 16, 2010, 09:18:50 PM
Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on October 15, 2010, 08:45:20 AMWell, if that's what today's fans are into I guess more power to 'em, but personally it's my opinion that today's fans sound like rather superficial, docile, easily-pleased people who missed out on the magic that made wrestling great, and I feel sorry for them because of it. Then again, given the product the majority of them are exposed to, it's hard to blame them. I guess shallow wrestling just breeds shallow wrestling fans.
How about you DON'T blame them then, JB? The new fans of today's wrestling are kids, dude -- with the clear majority of them thinking wrestling is completely real, so you can't really judge them for not knowing the intricacies of shit we take for granted like false finishes, high spots, and hot tags. Maybe when they're older they'll step into the stuff that you dig, like a lot of us have at one point or another, but c'mon, man. Remember that you, like all of us, were screaming marks just like them at one point, regardless of age. This is THEIR magic, so don't "feel sorry" for them. I mean, no eight year-old WWE fan will care or know what the fuck a Misawa is 'til they get older, right?
Pretty sure I said I don't blame them, dude. Right about here.

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on October 15, 2010, 08:45:20 AMThen again, given the product the majority of them are exposed to, it's hard to blame them. I guess shallow wrestling just breeds shallow wrestling fans.
But what's your point exactly? 'They're kids, they don't know any better', so that makes it OK? I mean, fair enough, none of us knew anything about the ins and outs of wrestling or the psychology of it or what-have-you when we were that young. But that's not the point.

The point is, the wrestlers of today shouldn't just be relying on doing a bunch of flips and dives and shit with no rhyme or reason, thinking they'll get by because the kids that watch them will just think 'hey, that was cool' because they don't know any better. For one thing, if that's all you've got to offer then when those kids grow up, a lot of them are gonna grow out of it and stop watching.

Secondly, 'spots' aren't a replacement for a story, and whether you realise it or not, the story is really what we tune in and have ALWAYS tuned into wrestling to see. And again, while I admit that I think the whole MCMG/GenMe storyline was acually pretty decent and one of the better angles leading up the the PPV, there seems to be this weird idea that just because the story is supposed to build to the match, the match doesn't need to play into the story.

I mean, the idea of this storyline was that GenMe put Alex Shelley on the shelf by, if not breaking, seriously injuring his neck, right? If I was about to fight somebody who'd broken my neck, I don't think the first thing I'd do would be a collar-and-elbow and trade holds with the guy, and when the guy hit the same move that broke my neck the last time, I wouldn't expect that it would be forgotten about by doing 15 minutes of more moves.

I'd expect my reaction would probably be more like Steve Austin when he came back after having his neck broken by Owen Hart, and went to great lengths to ensure that the first match he had when he came back would be against Owen specifically so he could kick the living shit out of him, which he did the first chance he could get. In fact, you can check out the match right here and see how the guys did practically NOTHING throughout the course of the match and managed to tell a great story by getting the most out of doing the least.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32f2p_survivor-series-steve-austin-vs-owe_sport

And this is what I'm talking about and why I feel sorry for these people, because if they 'don't know any better' it's because they haven't been exposed to something that's really good.

How many of us would really still be wrestling fans today if we hadn't been exposed to so many of those great angles and matches that became classics when we were growing up? You could probably show some of these kids some of the all-time classics like Flair/Steamboat or Austin/Hart or whatever, and they'd probably shit on it because it 'went on too long' or 'they didn't do that many cool moves'.

That's a really shallow perspective IMO and I really don't buy the backhanded excuse of 'well, they don't know any better'. To me that just sounds like a lazy and short-sighter way to justify not having to make an effort. You don't need to know the ins and outs and wrestling and psychology and so forth understand it, you just need to be able to follow the story, because that's what sucks you in to begin with.

Honestly, I think if you exposed those people to some of the all-time classic angles and matches and educated them to expect more out of their wrestling, the business wouldn't be in such a lifeless slump that it is now because they'd actually have to work to get their fans to watch. I firmly believe that the wrestling industry could be just as good now as it was during the boom periods of the 80's and 90's if so many people weren't content with mediocrity.

And I think it's important that people are exposed to the extraordinary as much as possible, even if it's come long before their time, because it gives them a goal to strive for, and more importantly, shapes what they'll be like in the future. Setting the bar so low that anyone can and will reach it defeats the purpose entirely, but setting it high makes reaching it all that more special.

Anyway, I don't mean to go on and on about it, and honestly when I originally wrote that, I looked at it and re-wrote it a bunch of times because I knew it sounded like of harsh, and I bet some or maybe even a lot of everything I just wrote might even come out the same way, and if anybody got up in arms over it I apologise for that, but I'm afraid I won't apologise for what I think and how strongly I feel about it. That's just the way I am.

Black Death

I love listening to B talk about TNA  great stuff

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Gary

Nice job JB, now Martha Hart is gonna sue EFK..thanks!

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.