Women's Wrestler April Hunter talks about why she turned down TNA

Started by Black Death, May 02, 2011, 12:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

by S.Bruce on May 2, 2011 11:59 AM EDT in TNA

There's a good interview with female wrestler April Hunter at f4wonline in which the former WCW star talks to George Wren about a wide variety issues, including why she turned down TNA's offer of a contract in 2009:

GW: November 2009 you was offered a contract with Total Nonstop Action (TNA)... What made you turn their offer down?

AH: A few things. First off, I do like the people there and enjoy the lockerrom and backstage. It's a fun company. But there were a few issues. The money wasn't more than I'm offered on the indies. However, the main issue was they asked me to sign a waiver clearing them of any future medical issues, and that I had to get cleared by my own doctor first. I knew of two other girls fighting with them to get their medical bills paid at that point and I wasn't comfortable with the idea after all the injuries I've already been through. I know how easy it is to get hurt and I also know they like to suggest certain high risk moves at times. That is what royally screwed up a match I had with Desire years ago. TNA management put the match together using moves that neither one of us were comfortable or familiar with. So, I said no. I'd never rule them out if they change their policies, but for now, I don't think it's for me.

This should come as no surprise to anyone, considering the amount of horror stories that have come out of TNA in recent times. And it seems obvious at least one of the women Hunter talks about is Daffney (her injury at Bound For Glory had happened a month previously, and she was going through a frustrating series of back and forth emails regarding how these bills would be paid.)  Considering the rough shape of the business and how few televised spots there are in wrestling today, it should really tell management something when, despite being a promotion with various national and international tv deals, even indie wrestlers are turning their Dickensian contractual terms down flat.
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Black Death on May 02, 2011, 12:20:05 PM
by S.Bruce on May 2, 2011 11:59 AM EDT in TNA

There's a good interview with female wrestler April Hunter at f4wonline in which the former WCW star talks to George Wren about a wide variety issues, including why she turned down TNA's offer of a contract in 2009:

GW: November 2009 you was offered a contract with Total Nonstop Action (TNA)... What made you turn their offer down?

AH: A few things. First off, I do like the people there and enjoy the lockerrom and backstage. It's a fun company. But there were a few issues. The money wasn't more than I'm offered on the indies. However, the main issue was they asked me to sign a waiver clearing them of any future medical issues, and that I had to get cleared by my own doctor first. I knew of two other girls fighting with them to get their medical bills paid at that point and I wasn't comfortable with the idea after all the injuries I've already been through. I know how easy it is to get hurt and I also know they like to suggest certain high risk moves at times. That is what royally screwed up a match I had with Desire years ago. TNA management put the match together using moves that neither one of us were comfortable or familiar with. So, I said no. I'd never rule them out if they change their policies, but for now, I don't think it's for me.

This should come as no surprise to anyone, considering the amount of horror stories that have come out of TNA in recent times. And it seems obvious at least one of the women Hunter talks about is Daffney (her injury at Bound For Glory had happened a month previously, and she was going through a frustrating series of back and forth emails regarding how these bills would be paid.)  Considering the rough shape of the business and how few televised spots there are in wrestling today, it should really tell management something when, despite being a promotion with various national and international tv deals, even indie wrestlers are turning their Dickensian contractual terms down flat.

I'm not gonna even start with how stupid that statement is.

1 wrestler, out of how many that's turned down TNA because she wasn't offered the contract she wanted. Good on her for that. If she wants more then she deserves more, your only worth as much as you believe you are.

However, how many Indy wrestlers haven't turned down TNA's 'Dickensian contractual terms' down?? I'm not gonna even begin naming names....

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Drama Queen

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on May 04, 2011, 07:07:09 AM
I'm not gonna even start with how stupid that statement is.

1 wrestler, out of how many that's turned down TNA because she wasn't offered the contract she wanted. Good on her for that. If she wants more then she deserves more, your only worth as much as you believe you are.

However, how many Indy wrestlers haven't turned down TNA's 'Dickensian contractual terms' down?? I'm not gonna even begin naming names....

Indeed I admire the spirit and principles shown here. And maybe if more people followed suit then it would indeed send a message.