News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Does Brock deserve the UFC HWT?

Started by Duckman, November 17, 2008, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

So there's been some bitching by the UFC version of smarks saying that Brock has been handed everything on a silver platter and shouldn't be Heavyweight Champion.

What your opinion?  Granted he's green, but he's obviously a big time money and publicity draw for the UFC.  Do these guys have an argument or are they just upset that Brock beat the Rocky of UFC in Randy Couture?

Let's hear it folks.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Adam Wrong

I personally don't believe he deserves it. He's had two fights in the UFC and Dana is clearly pushing him to be an iconic champion in the HW division. He lost his first fight which proved how green he was and surely the man that beat him deserved a shot first? Or Nog? He was then fed somebody in his second fight to make him look great and UFC are trying to use him as a hugfe draw to another crowd in the same way that other place used Kimbo Slice. I hope Brock is raped by his next opponent (likely to be the winner of Nog / Mir) because he is not in the position to be champion yet.

JohnS.

What people don't realize is that Lesnar has taken EVERYTHING to this point on the chin, and has been truely professional about it for the most part.

He didn't just talk the talk, he walked as well. He said he was going to go from pro wrestling to MMA, and he did. He put his mind to it, trained his ass off, and made the transition. What has he been handed? OK, maybe he got the oppurtunity because of the selling power of his name, but that's about it. Pre-Fight, you had all the UFC veterans basically shitting on Brock, saying he had no chance against a guy like Couture. Now, because he won, he got handed it on a silver platter? Bullshit.

Brock BEAT Randy. Fair and square. No early stoppage. No controversy. He beat him. What ever happened to 'To be the Champ you gotta beat the Champ?" That's what Brock did. Why hate on teh guy when all he is trying to do is compete in a sport that he loves? For Christ's sake, he's not Kimbo Slice. He hasn't been fed cans and non-MMA competition. Since coming to the UFC he's fought Heath Herring, Frank Mir, and RANDY FUCKING COUTURE!! What else do people want from this guy? He is legit, mark my words.

In a rematch, he will smash Mir just like he did in the first fight, but this time he won't get caught ina  sub.

Will he beat Nogeuira? Probably not...but that remains to be seen.

Should he be ashamed, or called a fluke if he DOES lose to Nogeuira? Fuck no. That man is the second greatest HW of all time...No shame in a loss there. People better get used to Brock, because he IS the HW division for a long time to come.

JohnS.

Quote from: M.D.K.... just M.D.K. on November 17, 2008, 01:30:40 PM
He was then fed somebody in his second fight to make him look great and UFC are trying to use him as a hugfe draw to another crowd in the same way that other place used Kimbo Slice.

:o

I can't even consider that an actual argument. He was...FED...someone in his second fight? You just...FEED...Heath Herring to people? Don't think so. And to compare him to Kimbo? Dude...Brock has fought REAL MMA opponents. Kimbo was PURPOSELY fed cans for teh sake of keeping a company alive. Think about it real hard, and then tell me if Seth Petruzelli would knock Brock out in 14 seconds. NO COMPARISON WHAT SO EVER BETWEEN KIMBO AND BROCK!! NONE!!

MitchMMA

John S. speaks the truth here.

I'm going to copy and paste what I said over on PWC over here because it's the same topic lol.

Dana gave Brock the shot because of the big money he saw in it, but also because other than Mir and Nog who were fighting next month, who else should have gotten a shot against Randy? Werdum was really the only guy that got screwed here, and he just got knocked out last month. The UFC promotes MMA which is IMO the best pure sport out there... but it's also a business. Werdum vs. Couture would only appeal to the hardcore fans who will watch it no matter what. Same goes for Randy vs. Kongo, Carwin, Cain Valasquez, Eddie Sanchez, Junior Dos Santos, any other heavyweight in the UFC. It's for this reason that I did not complain about Brock getting the shot, if the HW division was more stacked, your damn right I would be pissed.

If it was in the LHW division and Brock was getting shots before guys like Rashad, Rampage, Machida, Wanderlei, Luiz Cane, etc., then I would be uber pissed... but with the HW division it's a different story.

Brock even admitted "you know I don't deserve this, but it's a huge opportunity and i'm gonna take that title." He didn't ask for the title shot, but he would be a fool to say "no I don't want it, I don't deserve it" lol.

Adam Wrong

QuoteNO COMPARISON WHAT SO EVER BETWEEN KIMBO AND BROCK!! NONE!!
Aside from the fact that Dana White is creaming his pants over having a champion happy to fight and that he now has a HW champion he can point to and have as the face of the company (until the next big contract comes along for the Next Big Thing)

What people forget about Lesnar is that he is a glorified mercenary. He will sell his grandmother for his next big contract and fuck the fans, fuck the management and fuck anyone who criticises him.

The man has had 4 MMA fights now, one against a late unprepared substitute, one where he was expected to desatroy a man who is the shadow of what he once was and then fed Heath Herring - yes fed Heath Herring as the guy is hardly an elite in the HW division. Name one other fighter at 1-1 who has been given a shot like that? Bisping has done as much for global interest if not more, is 7-1 and still not had a shot. Lesnar is clearly on a big fucking contract and making big demands.

QuoteWhat people don't realize is that Lesnar has taken EVERYTHING to this point on the chin, and has been truely professional about it for the most part.
Bullshit. He has had nothing to take and has totally been arrogant about it. The man has showed no class and no reason why he should be champion or the figurehead of the company. What has he taken exactly? I mean aside from an anklelock from Frank Mir and nothing gives Brock any right to be champion before Mir does it? I mean what has Brock done to deserve it?

QuoteBrock has fought REAL MMA opponents.
All four of them... wow.

QuoteBrock BEAT Randy. Fair and square. No early stoppage. No controversy. He beat him. What ever happened to 'To be the Champ you gotta beat the Champ?" That's what Brock did. Why hate on teh guy when all he is trying to do is compete in a sport that he loves? For Christ's sake, he's not Kimbo Slice. He hasn't been fed cans and non-MMA competition. Since coming to the UFC he's fought Heath Herring, Frank Mir, and RANDY FUCKING COUTURE!! What else do people want from this guy? He is legit, mark my words.

There is no denial that Brock beat Randy fair and square but did he deserve the shot YET? No. Nobdy deserves a shot this early unless they are eager to get the title off of Randy (which they were and they are desperate for a recognisable HW champ that doesn't want to fuck off and fight Fedor. They want somebody in what is essentially is (or at least should be) the most popular division but hasn't been for quite a while. Dana feels he can milk Brock and he will do I just question why so early as it does leave him open to criticism.

JohnS.

EXC was so big on Kimbo because of his DRAW ONLY. They knew he couldn't fight. That's the difference between him and Brock.

Sure Dana likes a good payday as much as any other, but he KNOWS Brock can fight. He's not banking the future of his company on a complete moron who can't do anything but swing for the fences.

Brock admitted that he got an early shot. He was given a once in a lifetime opportunity, and he made the most out of it. Why hate on him for it? Why hope that he gets crushed in his next fight? Brock is GOOD for MMA. He is a legitimate athlete. The UFC HW division NEEDS him.

Sure, he can be a cocky bastard at times, but that's just part of his personality. The man has had to deal with people comparing him to KIMBO FUCKING SLICE, that's what he has taken on the chin with professionalism. He hasn't come out and said one thing about him being compared to a no-talent trashbag like Kimbo. He simply takes it in stride, and proves people wrong. He KO'd the UFC HW champion. He's legit in my book.

Cory

Brock's been handed everything...no denying that at all.

He's shown that he WILL be a great fighter, and has been very mature and professional with the critics and whatnot, and he still regardless beat the champion, so hes champion.

He shouldn't be bashed for getting the belt. I'm not happy that hes champion, but he took what was given to him and made the most out of it.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Adam Wrong

QuoteEXC was so big on Kimbo because of his DRAW ONLY. They knew he couldn't fight. That's the difference between him and Brock.

Sure Dana likes a good payday as much as any other, but he KNOWS Brock can fight. He's not banking the future of his company on a complete moron who can't do anything but swing for the fences.
But he's banking on a known unpredictable character. How long before Brock fucks off here to the next paypacket. I feel that Dana is resting too much of the shoulders of a man that hasn't proven himself yet.

QuoteBrock admitted that he got an early shot. He was given a once in a lifetime opportunity, and he made the most out of it. Why hate on him for it? Why hope that he gets crushed in his next fight? Brock is GOOD for MMA. He is a legitimate athlete. The UFC HW division NEEDS him.
I don't deny that it's out of Brock's hands but what I do ask is do you think that it's wise to put the belt on a greenback who is still prone to mistakes. He may be good for MMA and he is incredibly powerful but is he ready yet and does he deserve a shot yet?

QuoteSure, he can be a cocky bastard at times, but that's just part of his personality. The man has had to deal with people comparing him to KIMBO FUCKING SLICE, that's what he has taken on the chin with professionalism. He hasn't come out and said one thing about him being compared to a no-talent trashbag like Kimbo. He simply takes it in stride, and proves people wrong. He KO'd the UFC HW champion. He's legit in my book.

I'm not comparing him to Kimbo in any other sense other than how they are being treated by their company. My problem is I guess less to do with Brock himself but how he is being pushed.

MitchMMA

I don't think there is anything wrong with how Brock is being pushed, sure he's still green but the guy can fight and can fight with high level fighters... he might not be the best heavyweight, shit he's far from it, but he's a talented guy with a ton of potential and in a few years... people might be calling him one of the best.

It's a business M.D.K, if Brock Lesnar is the guy that's gonna bring the big bucks, why not give him a title shot? Hell he won, he knocked Couture out so obviously that right there proved he was ready, he beat the champ, he's the champ now... probably not for long but shit the guy just beat Randy fucking Couture obviously he deserves to be in the position he is in. :P

My main problem with Kimbo Slice was that he was being hyped up to be this bad ass... but he could not fight with the best of em and got destroyed by a guy who didn't win fights in the UFC and didn't win the reality show in Seth Petruzelli. Before that they were FEEDING Kimbo a bunch of old farts and bums and STILL hyping this guy as a bad ass.

I have absolutely no problem with guys being hyped if they are actually talented, shit it brings in a bigger crowd, that's good for the sport.

Exile

He had a match against the heavyweight champ. He won said match. Thus, he deserves to hold it.

Fortunately its not like WWE where you have merits based soley on a push.

Brock had a shot, he took it. SOmeone else will have a shot, and the circle goes again.

Real sports are awesome.

Adam Wrong

No I feel this is more like WWE than not. Wrestling has guys come in and 2 weeks later are champ (Carlito for instance) I feel that UFC need to look at a rankings system or something to give reason to Brock being given a shot.

Take boxing, a guy at 2-1 would not be given a title shot.

Jonny Worldbeater

He beat the shit out of Randy till he couldn't continue, I say that's pretty deserving of being the champ. I also say MDK should get that twist out of his panties.

Gary

Quote from: JohnS. on November 17, 2008, 01:34:01 PM

He didn't just talk the talk, he walked as well. He said he was going to go from pro wrestling to MMA, and he did. He put his mind to it, trained his ass off, and made the t

that is so WRONG! He was gonna leave WWE to play football, when that didnt pan out he gave MMA a shot instead of going back to Vince with his tail between his legs.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Big Gay Honker

To be fair:

Mir Beat Lesnar on his debut, and is getting a title shot against Nog.

Kongo was being looked into to be a title contender, until Herring beat him. 

Lesnar Beat Herring.  Taking Herrings contendership. 

Brock won the title fight clean.