NFL Debate #19: "Character Issues"

Started by Cory, April 28, 2013, 01:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

I say yes. I think a lot of talent gets overlooked because their college kids doing stupid college kids stuff. When their in a professional setting with role models around them, and a proper coaching staff the can play to their potential. Look at Vontaze Burfict most recently...character issues let him go undrafted and by seasons end he was a top 5 defensive rookie.

I think the only time it comes into play for me is if you have two players graded the same and one has character issues and the other doesnt, then I take the straight player.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

¿PapaPancho?

Yes especially if they continue to slip into the later rounds.  Granted this all depends on how veteran based your team is but if you have someone who can keep an eye out for a young man and guide him along the way you are very likely earning yourself a blue chipper.

If it doesn't work out you will know right away.  Hell half of these draft picks are crapshoots anyways. Hindsight makes everything 20/20

GM Franchise

I'd say it depends on the team. If it's a young team then I'd say no it's a bad idea. However if the team has a lot of veterans then I'd go all in if I was a team. Also I think it depends on what the player did. Like if a player has drug issues or something along those lines it would be a more major red flag than someone having a fake internet girlfriend like a certain player did.  :D
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Kirk

I certainly wouldn't draft them early. If you give a kid with "character issues" a million dollar contract and the media spotlight, they are going to fall apart. If you draft them later with little to no fanfare and make sure they get their head down and put in the effort on the training pitch, you could end up with someone special.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

The TeeJ of Philly

Matt Taibbi of the Rolling Stone did a article on the trends of the draft, the top being "Don't let the weed guy slip" basically saying any guy who has character issues, more often smaller, are a by-product of their surroundings as a child and teen, most of these guys stay close to home for college football, its when they get draft across the country they kinda stop it. Example being DeSean Jackson. Grew up in Cali, went to Cal, had character issues gets drafted to the East Coast and boom, the biggest issues surrounded him not wanting to go across the middle on a rookie contract

Ty

On the account that my team would probably be an XFL or arena bowl team (on account that Id suck as an American football gm), Id have to say yes