News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Ballon D'Or 2012

Started by Cory, February 05, 2012, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

If Van Persie doesnt win, I call shenanigans.

Unreal play this season, scary to see what he does when he has little to no supporting cast and isnt injured.

Looks like he'll be off to Real in the offseason....

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jerry McClean

I will be very surprised if Messi avoids injury for another year and doesn't end up winning it again. Regardless of if RVP can keep up his incredible scoring run.

Rob

What, how does RVP even compare to Messi? Messi has scored 37 goals so far this season and set-up 18 in only 36 games!

Van Persie has been outstanding this season but statistically he's doing as well as Messi and thats why Messi should win it for the 4th (?) year running
SixersEagles

[/center]

Cory

Yeah but look at the leagues, England is much tougher to score goals in as opposed to the near all out offense that is La Liga.

I think if RVP breaks the record of Andrew Cole or Shearer he deserves it more than Messi, and he means way more to his team than Messi. If Messi goes down (dont get me wrong, if your team loses the worlds best player its going to have some affect) another class player like Sanchez or Pedro would step in. If RVP went down, Chamakh is the worst player in the Prem.

Rob

How does the ability of other players in their team affect whether they should win this award or not? Be serious bro, Messi has won it each of the last 3 years... He's going to win it this year too.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Cory

He's amazing, the most clutch player this season.....and I think maybe....JUST MAYBE if he replicates this form in the Euros he may have a chance at beating Messi.

Insomnia

As wonderful a creative and passing playmaker as he is a deadly finisher - if RVP could pass to RVP then Arsenal would be unstoppable.

A measure of the man is just how much he improved his right foot, ala his "chocolate-leg". He constantly works on his weaknesses and improves them and he's a near-on complete player now for it.

Rob

But Messi already IS a complete player (not to mention he achieved this 5 years younger (don't quote me on that)).
SixersEagles

[/center]

Insomnia

It doesn't mean Messi will win it, though, does it? They might do a sympathy vote and give it to Giggsy like they did Fabio Cannavaro. :P

Rob

I don't understand why you guys think the best player in the world won't win an award for the best player in the world after having proven this season that he is the best player in the world. If they gave trophies and awards for nearly being the best then Liverpool would've won about 3 times as many trophies as they have.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Insomnia

Players are constantly changing and fluctuating, some more drastically than others. Kaká and Ronaldinho though - who would have ever predicted their sudden decline? When they declined they both did it off the back of being voted world player of the year.

Cory

.......Kaka yeah...but Ronnie is aging and it was inevitable.....plus TBH his last 2 years at AC Milan he was a very good player and playmaker.

Insomnia

Quote from: Cory on March 05, 2012, 04:08:22 PM
.......Kaka yeah...but Ronnie is aging and it was inevitable.....plus TBH his last 2 years at AC Milan he was a very good player and playmaker.

When Dinho hit immediate decline he was about 26/27 years of age wasn't he? Never the same player again.. :( It wasn't like age caught up on him. You're right about Milan, though - he had a fantastic year & telepathic understanding with Pato. Wasn't anywhere near winning the Ballon D'Or though.

Rob

Lets put things into perspective shall we. Ronaldinho is 4 years older than van Persie at 32. He plays currently in Brazil and last season scored 20+ goals. Is it an easier league? Perhaps... But how is that any indication when Spain and England are so different defensively from each other. Also, I don't think the Brazilian season has started this year yet.

Kaká is one year older than van Persie at 29. He has scored 6 goals this season and set up 11. In fact, he has been involved in more goals in the past year than he did in his breakthrough season of 04/05. He is involved in 0.66 goals per game which is only down by 0.24 from his time at AC Milan in arguably an easier league (defensively) in Italy. So have they both really gone down hill THAT much? I don't think so. And I think if they had the opportunity on the pitch at a Premiership club they would probably be doing as well as van Persie.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Insomnia

Yes. Yes I do. Watch Ronaldinho pre 2007 then the 2007 season where he ballooned and then post that.. it's like he suddenly became an old but still very talented man. He's had one world class season in the past half decade. The brilliant one we spoke of for Milan.

Pre 2007 Dinho won 2 ball d'ors hands down, world cup, champions league, la liga etc - but now he is just a very good player as opposed to one of the current best. I don't think he will ever challenge for the ballon d'or like that again. It doesn't mean he still isn't great - he could still do well in pretty much every league. But he'll never reach that level again. Players like Van Persie and Messi are way above his current levels. (Which is a bloody shame :()