News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

EFK's Favourite Music

Started by Rob, July 23, 2010, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I think eventually there will be a pattern of songs appearing on most peoples lists :)
SixersEagles

[/center]

Ash Bombay

No Particular order here.

1. One by Metallica
2. Sweet Child o Mine by Guns in Roses
3. Cowboys from Hell by Pantera
4. Man in the Box by Alice in Chains
5. Bullet with Butterflywings by Smashing Pumpkins
6. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
7.  Shoots n Ladders by Korn
8. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
9. Longview by Green Day
10. When Doves Cry by Prince
11. Still Dre by Dr. Dre
12. Hit Em up by Tupac
13. Ether by Nas
14. Make Em say Ugh by Master P
15. Bad to the Bone by George Througood

And many more.

Rob

Bands with a particularly good showing so far - Guns n Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, Dr Dre and Eminem
SixersEagles

[/center]

Cory

Nice to see love for Dr. Dre....amazing musical mind.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Rob on July 24, 2010, 04:03:25 PM
Bands with a particularly good showing so far - Guns n Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, Dr Dre and Eminem

What a depressing statement.

Russ

The 'avoid' list for everyone else, no particular order...

1. Semi Precious Weapons by Semi Precious Weapons
2. Civil War by Guns N Roses
3. The Kill by 30 Seconds To Mars
4. Paparazzi by Lady GaGa
5. Her Hair Is On Fire by Semi Precious Weapons
6. Leave Your Pretty To Me by Semi Precious Weapons
7. Autumnsong by The Manic Street Preachers
8.  Send Away The Tigers by The Manic Street Preachers
9. Bad Romance by Lady GaGa
10. Throw Yourself Away by Nickelback
11. 4am by Our Lady Peace
12. Second Chance by Shinedown
13. Simple Man by Shinedown (Lynyrd Skynyrd Cover)
14. Sticky With Champagne by Semi Precious Weapons
15. Rock 'n' Roll Never Looked So Beautiful by Semi Precious Weapons
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Cory

Quote from: Timception on July 24, 2010, 04:18:35 PM
What a depressing statement.

Dr. Dre > gay indy bands

Gates

This almost feels like one of those moments in high school where someone is told their opinion is wrong...

The first post Rob made said to list OUR top 15 songs. So if these are the songs people feel are in their top 15, then I don't think there's a real reason to nitpick. Not everyone listens to such a wide variety of music, as you make it seem, so you're going to get people with different tastes listing off THEIR top 15 songs. THEIR top 15. Not the top 15 songs that had the most significant cultural impact throughout the history of the world.

I could have listed songs that would be found in other peoples top 15, but that wouldn't be the truth.

The Dudester

The thread was about our personal favorite songs, which we've posted. Not cultural. If it was based on cultural, Smells Like Teen Spirit would be #1 as it was THE most cultural moving song of the last 20 years. No song changed music more than that one.

Excaligore

No, I think for the fact we're doing this to compile songs for a bigger list, one that will represent the whole community, we should stretch out a little.

I'm not saying I'm more cultural or better than anybody else. Even my knowledge of what I chose to include is limited. However, I chose things that I could imagine would make selective other members of the community nod their head and say "I could see that" or at least things I could argue to the point where people would nod their head, and say the same. Furthermore, That's why we have a community. I am not a fan of hip-hop, but I can't dismiss hip-hop as an illegitimate genre. Same goes for Reggae, etc. That's why the concept of this list is beautiful. It's a community getting together, and finding common ground, including things other members can't, advantages in numbers. But, I mean, look at like Hondo's list. That had everything from Amazing Grace to Soundgarden.

Even if he did phrase it as "Your top 15", it's really a way to try to assemble songs together for a bigger list. I'm not criticizing anybody's taste, I'm just saying, it's going to be a shitty list if we include things that are only "fresh off the presses" or are relatively unheard of. I only included Moonsongs as a representative of Rock In Opposition/Avant-Rock which is an unheard of yet highly developed, and legit genre. Notice, however, it's the only I included because it's relatively unheard of.

I didn't flood my list with Magma, Ruins, Gong, etc. Because they are personal favorites, not something that I could imagine would be worthy of being accumulated to a larger list.

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Cory on July 24, 2010, 04:49:58 PM
Dr. Dre > Guns N Roses, Eminem, and Smashing Pumpkins

fixed to something I'll agree to.

Russ

Cliff it clearly says post your top 15 favourite songs, which means, post your top 15 favourite songs, and everyone else has posted their top 15 favourite songs, lol.

PS: I have my own taste in music and my own favourite songs. The fact you even suggest that list is to impress someone who doesn't even post here actually pisses me off a bit... I like that music, so I post it. I'm not not contributing this simply because it doesn't please Cliff the Almighty. Twat.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Cory

Quote from: Timception on July 24, 2010, 05:33:11 PM
fixed to something I'll agree to.

Ill agree to that, as well as the indy band statement.

And to Cliff, tho they might be covers, isn't it best 'song'? Which wont just be who wrote the song, but also include the musical performance that goes along with it. Most rap songs have ghostwritten lyrics, but you will only hear "Snoop Dogg" as the artist.

Alex Smiley

If it's any consolation Cliff, I tried not to let it all be JUST my favorites, but favorites that others could potentially agree upon. Trust me, if it was just my favorites irregardless, you'd have seen mostly Christian music, Linkin Park, and Blue Man Group.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Excaligore

Quote from: Cory on July 24, 2010, 05:58:32 PM
Ill agree to that, as well as the indy band statement.

And to Cliff, tho they might be covers, isn't it best 'song'? Which wont just be who wrote the song, but also include the musical performance that goes along with it. Most rap songs have ghostwritten lyrics, but you will only hear "Snoop Dogg" as the artist.

Fair point. I think the best thing though is to attribute both original, and best performance if possible.

Quote from: Russaholic on July 24, 2010, 05:52:40 PM
Cliff it clearly says post your top 15 favourite songs, which means, post your top 15 favourite songs, and everyone else has posted their top 15 favourite songs, lol.

PS: I have my own taste in music and my own favourite songs. The fact you even suggest that list is to impress someone who doesn't even post here actually pisses me off a bit... I like that music, so I post it. I'm not not contributing this simply because it doesn't please Cliff the Almighty. Twat.

Russ, you really don't have to listen to what I'm trying to say, if you don't want to. I don't want to argue you over it. I can safely confirm there is no such thing as the almighty Cliff. I deeply respect you as a human being, and an RPer. You're a funny, intelligent, talented, and respectable e-fedder. Who, fairly enough, has accomplishments, and contributions to this game that far exceed myself.

However, your list was bogus. 45% of it felt at least there was some sort of musical link/theme, even with limited scope. The rest was a flavor of the month sideshow act for Gaga fangirls/boys. NOBODY likes Semi-Precious Weapons for any other reason. It's a harsh pill to swallow, but it's a fact. By your "top 15 favorites" it could very easily be considered "your top 15 favorites to go on the list". If you're going to put on 8 things by the same band, one of which from an academic, influential, journalistic, or general popularity perspective has relatively no impact on music at all, then you are not contributing to the list, or topic, at all.

Please, for God's sakes, save yourself, pull your head out of the sand. I am just three months nearing the permanent end of my e-fedding "career". As much as I love this game, and the people in it, I have personally grown bitter, and often self destructive, in my personal life. because of my inability to build a reasonable life around my obsession with it. Not a fault of the game, but mine for refusing to see the world beyond it for so many years, and fucking up my life.

You're just going to college now, Russ. This COULD be the prime of your life. If you're not going out and exploring new things just a little, and relying on online friends as your only source of music, or opinions of the arts in general. Even if you do, e-fedders aren't the only online community, and Laura isn't the only e-fedder. Your list, with few exceptions, read EXACTLY like I would imagine Laura's list reading if she did one. Two human beings don't just coincidentally start liking all of the same things exactly the same way. Unless one is lonely, and the other is under the illusion that he's going to get laid off it.

I can guarantee you there is no way I see this situation working any other way. I don't think Laura is a bad person, by any stretch. However, I think she finds comfort in having somebody to agree with her. It's one thing if you're doing that, but if it's dictating your entire taste in music, movies, and all things... Good God, you're missing out on more of the world than I am, and I'm fucking pathetic.

Go out and educate yourself on music. Even in the "pop" genre you covered practically no ground by just listing the same thing six hundred times. If you like Semi-Precious Weapons then fine, you like "that type of music". Why not explore "pop" deeper? What about Cher or Stevie Wonder or Madonna or Michael Jackson or Elton John? Four of them I hate, and the other I find listenable but am impartial to, but at least, if you like "that type of music" you can always get into what they're doing. Fuck, maybe even try some Bowie. Don't you even realize how badly you're wasting your time?

I'm sorry if it makes me a hypocrite, or a dickhead, or petty... But somebody has to fucking say it, Russ. If you're not going to contribute a real list then don't bother putting up a list at all. There is so much ground we're not covering from Beethoven to Led Zeppelin that you are just flat out ignoring. You're NOT getting laid by doing this, please, for God's sakes, retain a shred of dignity.

In fact, if you look hard enough, you can apply that intelligence and wit to impress a girl who A) You'll actually meet, and B) Won't force you to be a completely castrated poser with your life. They're all around you, Russ, and they're wonderful. Try going out a Saturday night here, and there, you are a fucking adult, man. You can drive. Save a little money. Get a part time job if you need a little more. Fucking Christ man, you're a young, funny, intelligent human being. It's not as hard as you think. I guarantee you, as somebody who has been labeled very seriously clinically insane, it's done for me than any of the doctor's brain drugs could ever do. You realize how many years late I had to wait to realize this?

Most of all, you can do all of this while retaining a friendship with Laura, if you try hard enough. I maintained a friendship with her for awhile, and until I really REALLY started tearing into Gaga, it was fine. You don't even have to stop liking "that kind of music" just use it as a platform to heighten your perspective on things NOT hinder your perspective on things, and blind you to the wonderful and vast world around you. Millions of artists bleed for this opportunity to gain your attention.

Anyway, zooming away from the point, I want to make it abundantly clear that I never EVER thought for one second I was a superior human being to you, and I never thought I was the universal law. If you haven't been thanked for the undertaking in arranging, and putting together the Experts tournament, I'd like to personally thank you. That tournament MADE my ADL character, and therefore is the reason for most of my non-TFWF fanbase. I could not do it without the hard work, and effort, that you put into this game. You afforded the time to us, and we're grateful. In fact, the entire e-fed world is grateful for your hard work, and care to this game.

Now, back to the actual point since I let myself stray a little. Russ, if you decide to reply to this, please do so in the Joust. If you do so, I will not respond or read the thread. You have two choices: Ignore what I say, or listen to what I say. I am not going to debate it, I don't need to debate it. Lets get back to the fucking list ok. It's a fantastic idea from Rob, and if used right, could be a way to bring our community more together.

Quote from: AlexK on July 24, 2010, 06:46:10 PM
If it's any consolation Cliff, I tried not to let it all be JUST my favorites, but favorites that others could potentially agree upon. Trust me, if it was just my favorites irregardless, you'd have seen mostly Christian music, Linkin Park, and Blue Man Group.

Alex, that's exactly the point. You took sources from the music you liked, and picked and elitized. People on this forums will be able to pick a few, and the fact that it relates to multiple people brings bonding in the community. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you did because you brought out a somewhat eclectic list of things, many of which could be individually traced to influencing a genre/mindset in music. Nothing you did is wrong in my eyes.