News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

NBA Free Agency

Started by Jose The Law Ramon, June 30, 2009, 10:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose The Law Ramon

Tomorrow is the first day of free agency, and so far headlining the bunch is Hedo Turkoglu. Not that people wouldn't want Shawn Marion now that they can get him cheaper. Thoughts on who's going where and whatnot?

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

There has been a couple of veteran trades already. I am predicting the Bulls will be in for someone big this summer and look to offload someone like Kirk H. to be honest and then resign Ben Gordon.

My two big questions unrelated

Is Yao finished
Who will Rubio be playing for next season

Love the impact the Non American players are having at the moment in the NBA.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Jose The Law Ramon

Yeah, doesn't look like the Bulls are resigning Ben Gordon, but I think you're spot on them making a deal for Hinrich. I think you can't just reduce his role to being the backup to Derrick Rose, because really he deserves to be a starter, even if you WANT to keep that much talent at the 1. After all, the Suns learned the hard way that you can't have Nash/Kidd, and the Wolves (if they manage the impossible of getting Rubio to come to the US and play for them) will learn you can't play Rubio and whats his name.

Where Yao's concerned, I think Yao's finished. There's been too much deal on it, and it's always given him so much trouble that I think you CAN'T expect him to play much if at all anymore. As for Rubio... the Wolves could make a killing trading his rights away, or they could be complete dumbasses, hold his rights for a few years, then let him become a free agent where he'll be a more polished vet, playing for a team that has the money to sign him, and killing them everytime they meet, as opposed to letting him come now to another team and probably be a back up to another 1 so he can learn the ropes.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Well I got tickets to the Jazz and Bulls in October...now I beg the question do I wear my Gordon jersey to show my Bulls support seeing as I have wore it maybe 2 times ever! Or because he fucked off to the Pistons I dont.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Jay Jefferson

Rasheed Wallace accepted the offer from Celtics.

Mike Storm

Artest to the Lakers will either take the team to another championship or do what AI did to Detroit. As a Lakers fan I say it will be good for them.
Ariza to Houston is definitely a trade for the future.
Wallace to the Celtics, I think a desperate move but one that I say will help for the next season but that's about it.
Shaq to Cavs is ridiculous full stop then again it's not like they are getting rid of anyone important. Probably a move to free up salary cap to try resign LeBron.
VC traded to Orlando completely ruin their chances next year, getting rid of Lee and Alston who both played well in the playoffs.
Turkoglu to Toronto furthered Magic woes and made Toronto a pretty good team for next year. I'd expect them to make the semis
Jefferson trade makes Spurs strong but their bench will now be deflated.
Gordon, Villanueva to PIstons doesn't solve anything for them.

Jose The Law Ramon

Update - Millsap offered to Portland, Bass to Orlando, Marion to Mavs, McDyess to Spurs.

I think Portland's just reaching for straws at this point, trying to land SOMEONE in free agency. They should wait till all these good wing players come up in next year's draft, when they'll have more money. After all, they made it to the playoffs with the same roster they've got so far. Millsap stays though in Utah, cause he's a beast and he's proven that they'll drop Boozer after this year in his contract or do a sign and trade, because he's expendable now.

Bass to Orlando may make them lose the guy who helped control the game and was their clutch player at the end of games, but in the long run it'll do them good to have a semi-post presence with Dwight Howard. He's athletic and strong, and he'll either be a great sixth man or a starter who moves Lewis back to his natural role of 3. It's definitely an upgrade for Orlando, but I agree with storm, their not going back to the Finals.

Marion to the Mavs is STUPID. I don't care what the other media people say, he log jams their 3/4 slot, and they picture a lineup of Kidd/Howard/Marion/Nowitzki/Gortat?! Fucking dumb. Of course, the OTHER lineup is Kidd/JT/Howard/Marion/Nowitzki, which makes a little more sense except for the fact that you have no shot blocker. Yet both Marion AND Howard are expected to start?! Look, one of them needs to either come off the bench or be traded, and the most expendable would be Marion at this point, because Howard is young AND talented, and a hell of a lot better defensively than Marion. Cuban did this deal only to help Kidd look a little better since Kidd just stole Cuban's wallet.

Mcdyess to Spurs though... I have to agree with Skip - he may be a good, solid backup/starter 4/5 man, but he still doesn't give us the size inside to match up with the Lakers. On the other hand, he's savy enough that he'll give either Gasol or Bynum a few fits when they try to make their living in the low block area and force them to think of different ways to attack the basket. As far as the thought that our bench isn't deep?  Not totally in agreement, but then again our bench hasn't proven itself to be the kind of powerhouse it used to be during our championship runs. However, I expect there to be a trade sometime in either December or January to help the Spurs pickup another player to add to our bench, but watch for the continued development of George Hill and DeJuan Blair, who are going to help make lives hell for those guarding the paint. But I do think that if anyone's going to give the Lakers trouble this year in the West, the Spurs are going to be closest with Denver. However, I'm going to say that as it stands with everyone healthy and the Lakers able to lock up Odom, they'll be favorites to repeat. But getting Odom back is KEY. Without Odom they don't have that extra length and ball handler/scorer to give others a nightmare trying to matchup with.

Jay Jefferson

I heard on PTI yesterday that Iverson was in talks with the Knicks.