News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Big Country Roy Nelson's Weight Holding Him Back?

Started by Cory, August 10, 2010, 01:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Heres a cool segment from MMAJUNKIE called ask a doctor:

Roy Nelson didn't win the fight, but he likely won over many fans in a hard-fight loss to Junior Dos Santos at this past weekend's UFC 117 event.

And though Nelson is the first to poke fun at his rotund body, could the extra weight be holding him back?

In our latest "Ask the Fight Doc" installment, MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin discusses some of the myths of cardiovascular fitness and why nearly all heavyweight fighters â€" not just Nelson â€" usually are sapped by later rounds.

Dr. B: UFC broadcasters Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg discussed it a bit during UFC 117, but is there any way for Roy Nelson to be at or near his optimal level by carrying around so much extra weight? I've seen other big guys with remarkable athleticism. However, will they always be at a non-optimum level with that kind of extra weight? Or could Nelson really be a genetic freak? It's not like he gasses out quickly or anything. Is he just an anomaly? â€" Anonymous

Every time I see "Big Country" compete, I am impressed that he can get such a high level of production out of that body. Roy Nelson is a perfect case study to better understand cardiovascular fitness â€" or what MMA fans commonly call "cardio" or "gas." (Please, no fart jokes).

Nelson's ample body and belly cause many viewers to make a common mistake. They make a direct correlation between physical appearance and cardiovascular fitness. As counter-intuitive or backward as it may seem, significantly overweight people can have impressive cardio. Likewise, thin and/or muscular, well-defined people can have terrible cardio.

Why? Because cardiovascular fitness measures the body's ability to take in, distribute and use oxygen (according to the Center for Disease Control).

Cardio is primarily a measure of the heart's ability to efficiently pump blood and oxygen to the muscles. It is not a measure or function of physical appearance.

To properly assess cardiovascular fitness, a serious athlete will undergo a test called VO2 max (maximal oxygen uptake). Everyone has seen endurance athletes on TV running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike with EKG pads/wires hooked to them and with what looks like a snorkel coming out of their mouths. That's the VO2 max test. (I could get fairly technical here, but I'll assume that we've all got better things to do.)

Here's a simple test: Briskly walk up three flights of stairs. If your heart is pumping hard, your head is throbbing or a bit light, and/or you're short of breath, guess what: Your cardio isn't much regardless of how you look.

The follow-up question to me is: How good could Nelson be if he shed those excess pounds? Yes, he would be quicker, more explosive and more athletic in general. Also, if he carried significantly less weight, his personal cardio would, in fact, improve.

Ever wonder why the most elite heavyweight championship contests rarely go to a decision? It is extremely difficult for the big boys â€" ones of all shapes â€" to keep up the pace for the fourth and fifth championship rounds. Therefore, they try to finish early.

Did you see how hard both Nelson and opponent Junior Dos Santos were breathing in the third round? I loved the fight, but I was glad when it ended â€" and I think they were, too.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Sgt. Josh Underpants

Never underestimate a man due to his size. hell I'm bigger than a good chunk of the people at my job and can still move faster and more quietly than they can
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.