News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

MMA virgin advice

Started by Ian "Wolfie" Trumps, August 19, 2010, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Not really ever got into it. I am making it my mission to start checking some stuff out based on hearing various bits from guys like Sam, Mark R., Justin and Jonnah from T.F.W.F. and seeing also the threads on here from time to time lead by Sam, Cory, Midas and Mitch.

So...where do I start is my question. I refuse to comment on stuff indepth without witnessing it so I need some advice here.

What fighters should I check out?
Any up coming cards etc..?

Help out a MMA Watching virgin!
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Midas

WOW... Like where to begin...

Well we have a upcoming card with two decent fights on it...

BJ Penn who has dominated the UFFC Lightweight division for some time now recently lost his title to a underdog known as Frankie Edgar in a 5 round battle that ended in Edgar getting the desicion. I believe at the end of this month Penn gets his rematch against Edgar for the UFC Lightweight title and it should be very interesting...

Also on this same card you have UFC Legend Randy Coture fighting boxing legend James Toney in the first match of its kind... That being a former boxing legend stepping into the MMA ocatagon trying to take on a MMA fighter...

For some time now Boxers have made it seem like they could go into MMA and clean house and MMA fighters and fans have all doubted this and this will be the first time we are going to see this happen so it should prove interesting...

I dont have the rest of the card but none the less it is worth watching...

As far as MMA in general well you have the two major promotions UFC & Strikeforce which are kind of like TNA & WWE in a sense.... I watch them both personally but I will simply touch on UFC more and some Strikeforce...

In the UFC it is divided up in 5 divisions...

Heavyweight

Champion - Brock Lesner
Who recently won a fight against #1 contender Shane Carwin...

Lightheavyweight Champion - Shogun Rua

Who recenlty beat Lyoto Machida for the title in their rematch giving Lyoto his first lost in the UFC... The first fight went the distance and many thought Shogun was robbed but this last fight he won in the second round I believe...

Middleweight Champion - Anderson Silva

Who recently had his toughest fight of his career against Chael Sonnen who beat Silva for 4 1/2 rounds until Silva slipped on a submission and won the fight with like 2 minutes left.

Welterweight Champion - George St Pierre

Who won his last fight against Dan Hardy I think and is currently filiming the Ultimate Fight show and when it is done will fight Josh Koscheck for the title.

Lightweight Champion - Frankie Edgar

I talked abotu this above...

Strikeforce

Heavyweight Champion - Allister Overeem

He recently beat Bret Rodgers in his first title defense in some time...

Light Heavyweight Champion - King Mo

He just won the title against Gegard Missausai (I kow I fucked up that name)

Middleweight Champion - Vacant

The champ Jake Shields recently signed with the UFC...

Welterweight Champion - Nick Diaz

I think he beat someone to win the title that was eithervacant or new...

Lightweight Champ - Gilbert Melendez

He recently beat a high ranked LW from Japan...

I am sure the other guys can fill in more holes but that is the run down of the champs and such...

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Thanks Midas

So when is the next card scheduled for me to check out? UFC one.

Also Strike Force has Lashley and Batista right?

Midas

The 28th of Aug is the next UFC card I was talking about and we all have links to sites you can watch it on for free if you are awake as I know you are in a different time zone...

Yeah Strikeforce has Lashley and unless Batista signed a deal and I didnt hear about it he is still in negotiations with Strikeforce but has not signed... They also have Fedor Emilenako (sp) who is considered the best Heavyweight in the world...

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Well I got the ESPN package for extra football, some American sports I cant see a lot of like college ones and also for MMA, so I will watch it on there I reckon. Cheers for the newbie guide, I look forward to giving it a go.

Cory

I'm glad to hear such a wrestling buff as yourself giving MMA a try, and I can say I'll give you a PPV worth of fights to see, to grasp some of the biggest moments in MMA history.

Guys to watch now, Midas basically showed you the champions. You have guys not champions, such as Fedor Emelianenko (Strikeforce) , Johnny 'Bones' Jones (UFC), Rampage Jackson (UFC)..... ect.

Guys to maybe check out: I'd say see if you can watch some old Vitor Belfort from the UFC, like way back in the 90's, when he was the phenom of the young sport. If you wan't dominance that hasn't been replicated since, check out Wanderlei Silva's pride run. He went on a 17 fight win streak over 4 years, beating the top guys, and knocking them the fuck out.

Heres a list of fights that'll entertain you, as I'd say they're the best in MMA history. (click em)

Wanderlei Silva v/s Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson, Pride 28 (2004)
Rampage Jackson v/s Ricardo Arona, Pride Critical Countdown (2004) (Slam heard around the world)
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Bob Sapp, Pride Shockwave (2002) (One of the greatest comebacks/mismatches of all time)
Don Frye v/s Takayama (gay music, but amazing slugfest)

Too lazy to post more links, but check out:

Fedor Emelianenko v/s Mirko Cro Cop (My favourite fight of all time, easily the biggest heavyweight fight of all time)
Forrest Griffin v/s Stephan Bonnar (one of the greatest slug fests, and generally the best mma fight of all time by others)
Clay Guida v/s Diego Sanchez (slug fest)
Wanderlei Silva v/s Chuck Liddell (awesome slug fest)
Nick Diaz v/s Takanori Gomi (literally a slug fest with ZERO blocking)
Chan Sung Jung "Korean Zombie" v/s Leonard Garcia (A FUCKING WAR)
Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald (Submission fest, litterally submission attempt after attempt. Gives you a glimpse of the ground game and how exciting it can be)
Scott Smith v/s Cung Le (1st fight) (biggest comeback win in MMA history)
Benji Radach v/s Scott Smith (fucking awesome strikefest, giving you a glimpse of Strikeforce, the #2 MMA promotion)

Other than that man, just youtube like crazy mma submissions or knockouts if you want a quick version, but Ill guarentee you can watch everything I posted, and you wont regret it.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

Yep, these guys have got it pretty much covered.

Might be worth downloading some series of The Ultimate Fighter show as well.  The first three seasons were really good.  So what the UK vs. US one and the most recent Heavyweight series.

ESPN also shows UFC Unleashed - it's tonight actually at 11pm - which shows some of the best fights of the past few years.

The website MMALinker.com is also good for finding videos of fights if you can't find 'em on youtube.

Enjoy finding out about the sport mate.  I'm hooked for life I reckon! lol.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jonny Briggs

MMA virgin advice?

Find a girl & get the full mount!

Duckman

And follow it up with some ground and pound?

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

KenFucious

Excellent thread fellas. I've been wondering the same myself and this gave me a helluva lot of info.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

Oh Ian, if you get Bravo they usually show the Strikeforce events over here.

The show that airs tonight in America will hopefully be on Bravo on Sunday - haven't checked the listings to confirm though, might be Monday night.

It'll be a good watch, especially the King Mo fight.

Peace

Duckman

Duckman

Checked the listings, it's on Monday Night at 10:00pm, Bravo 2 - channel 153 on Sky.

Peace

Duckman