News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

'NFL: A Payne Filled Outlook'

Started by Bryan Payne, January 17, 2010, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk

I haven't had a chance to see much NFL since I was in America at the end of 2008 so I was wondering if you could do a piece on my beloved Dolphins and their prospects.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Bryan Payne

sure be happy too. Working on it now...  I'll try to get that up sometime this weekend. 

Bryan Payne

Miami Dolphins:  Greatness Interrupted

So, I decided upon reflection to wait until I saw the Dolphin's Jets game Sunday Night before I delved into this team.  As I was watching it I couldn't help but thinking to myself that this was a team that could compete with anybody.  The trouble is they're not in a division with anybody... and therein lies the problem.  From the moment Chad Pennington stepped into a Dolphins uniform the team really was different.  They played harder, better, the defense really came together too.  For years they've been one of the "almost there" teams that could play with anybody... the trouble is they didn't have to beat just anybody....  They're in a division with the Patriots and the wunderkind that are the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS.

That played out again tonight.  They played well and had every shot to win it, but couldn't quite pull it off.  Now lets talk about why.  

First off if they were in almost any other division in football they'd be a favorite in their division almost every year with the line up they have now which brings me to my next point.   Josh McDaniels is an idiot!  Did you see Brandon Marshall?  The guy is a BEAST.  He should have crawled on his hands and knees to get him back and instead he trades away a probowl QB AND a guy in Marshall that's probably going to end up in the hall of fame if he keeps playing like that for a few more seasons.   Receiver has always been a weak spot for the Dolphins as far back as I can remember... even in the days of Dan Marino they always said "if he only had a top ten receiver..."   Well Marino is long gone, but they've finally got that top receiver now it's down to Chad Henne to do something with it.

The Dolphins success really depends upon three things... none of which they can really control.  IF the Pats continue to lose ground (and they are the wheels are coming off that buss sorry Bean Town) it won't be long until Miami is right there.  The trouble is "right there" might still land them in third place in their own division... but they'll have a window.  Ronnie Brown has to stay healthy, which is something he seems to have had problems with playing only ONE 16 game season in his NFL career.  I've got bad news... he's 28 entering the last couple years of a running back's "prime" the time when the start to decline if not be replaced by a younger pair of legs.  Which means if he doesn't stay healthy this year... he's pretty much done as a feature back and becomes a third down back used for wildcat almost exclusively.  Likely the next guy won't have his talent but he'll be able to stay on his feet for the whole season so they can actually game plan around him.  

75.2     No, that's not the temperature outside, that's Chad Henne's QB rating for the 2009 season.  

12 to 14.  Not the score of Sunday Night by half, Henne's TD to INT ratio last year.  

451   Number of times he threw the ball.  Among starter QB's last season only Vince Young, Marc Bulger, Brady Quin, Mark Sanchez, and Mathew Staford threw less.  

So you've got a QB who performs in the bottom third of starting QBs why are you even throwing the ball that much?  Brown is supposed to be your stud running back.. Ricky Williams is supposed to be ageless  and when hes' gotten playing time proves to be... and your defense is supposed to be top shelf.  Why aren't they grinding out the clock playing a Raven's of the Trent Dilfer era football?

Because they're playing against some of the best QBs and defenses in the league.  They always play from behind.  Because the strength of their team, their defense, let the Jets... not a team known for their offense mind... put up 31 points.

Had Pennington not hurt his shoulder again I don't have a doubt this team would be in the playoffs this year, but if they succeed from here is going to depend on the development of Chad Henne and the health of Ronnie Brown.  But also on that defense.  If the Jets put up 31 what are the Saints or the Colts going to put up this season on these guys?  It's a fair question to ask.

I think Miami is where they were two years ago.  Still on the bubble and looking for an answer.  And that question is?... Chad Henne... Can you make me believe?

Ash Bombay

So....after Sam Bradford ending up starting the 1st game of the year for the Rams, and losing the first 2 games to miserable teams by only 6 points, and then thumping the Skins...can we get a reflection on the Rams now?

Bryan Payne

Sure Ash.  Let me do a little checking around, I don't get the opportunity to see many Rams games, so I need to research them a bit more than just watching highlights.

Ash Bombay