Two Men Fall Off a Cliff Playing Pokémon GO

Started by Black Death, July 14, 2016, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

Launched just last week, the new augmented reality mobile game Pokémon Go has captured the attention of consumers like few things in recent memory. It sometimes appears as if literally everyone and their mother is playing it, with the catch 'em all craze seeming to have taken over the pop culture world in record time.

Unfortunately, Pokémon Go has also been at the center of some exceedingly strange and/or upsetting events recently, perhaps the most famous of which is the 19-year-old player who discovered a dead body while hunting for Pokemon near her local river. Some unscrupulous folks have also used Pokémon Go to lure in victims for armed robberies. And now, the game has been the cause of an accident for a pair of unlucky players.

The latest unfortunate circumstance took place in San Diego, California. City authorities say that two men took a tumble down the side of a cliff while playing Pokémon Go, with one ending up about 90 feet down and the other about 50 feet. Both men were rushed to the hospital, but specifics on the injuries they sustained and their current condition are presently unavailable. There is a safety fence — complete with signs warning of danger — intended to discourage people from getting near the edge of the cliff, but the two men in question reportedly jumped the fence in order to pursue Pokémon.

With a 25 percent jump in its stock price since Pokémon Go's release, Nintendo has got to be feeling pretty good about its future right now. Still, the company can't be thrilled about all the crazy stories related to playing the game that keep surfacing. Corpses, armed robberies, and falling off cliffs are not exactly positive things to have associated with game, but at least for the current news cycle, they can all be connected to both Nintendo, the game's publisher, Niantic, and the mega-successful app. While no fair person could suggest that the developers behind the game are somehow to blame for these occurrences, the world of public relations isn't always a fair one.

That all said, none of the above occurrences seem to have made a dent in the amount of people playing Pokemon Go, suggesting that Nintendo or Niantic probably won't end up losing any of the mobile market share any time soon. Continued success or not, though, one wonders what will be the next wild story that somehow happens to involve people playing Pokemon Go.

Pokemon Go is available now for both iOS and Android devices.

remember when you use pokemon go ... watch your step 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

like dodo birds, thinning the herd i tell you, its a great thing.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Gravedigger

Judge

If you jump a fence that's marked for a reason, then you deserve whatever happens to you.  Fucking morons are outside more now because of this.  Nothing against the game at all.  Just stupid people will be stupid regardless of anything that's posted or any warnings displayed.

Chris Shields

Quote from: Judge on July 16, 2016, 08:29:11 AM
If you jump a fence that's marked for a reason, then you deserve whatever happens to you.  Fucking morons are outside more now because of this.  Nothing against the game at all.  Just stupid people will be stupid regardless of anything that's posted or any warnings displayed.
I saw a story the other day about a girl that got hit by a car because she was crossing the highway looking for a Pokemon, and obviously not paying attention. The part that pissed me off was the mother than trying to say that the game was to blame. No, your dumbass child is to blame because she was to busy trying to get a damn Pikachu that she couldn't be bothered to use a crosswalk or pay attention to her surroundings. If you get hurt searching for a fake cartoon rat, it's your own damn fault.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Chris Shields on July 17, 2016, 10:47:28 PM
I saw a story the other day about a girl that got hit by a car because she was crossing the highway looking for a Pokemon, and obviously not paying attention. The part that pissed me off was the mother than trying to say that the game was to blame. No, your dumbass child is to blame because she was to busy trying to get a damn Pikachu that she couldn't be bothered to use a crosswalk or pay attention to her surroundings. If you get hurt searching for a fake cartoon rat, it's your own damn fault.

The actual story is that the girl, 15, crossed the highway (4 lane) and caught a pokemon. She goes to turn back, puts her phone in her pocket, looked both ways, and crosses the highway and gets hit. At that point, it's not the game's fault. You got hit because someone wasn't pay attention, either the kid or the driver. And that's if the kid isn't doing what all kids do and lie and say they did everything right and that mama will have their back OR if that kids lying because  mama wants to sue and get money.

AND THEN the lady has the gumption to say that the kid was only over there because of the game because, and this is a quote, "no poor kid is gonna just cross a highway"

Bitch at 11 I crossed a 4 lane highway just to get a fucking slushie at a gas station! At 15 I crossed three to walk to work. A kid is gonna cross a "highway" if it means saving 10 minutes on a walk rather than walking to the nearest light.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/mom-says-teenage-daughter-hit-by-car-in-tarentum-after-playing-pokemon-go/399354824 Is the link.

Fucking Western PA.

Chris Shields

Quote from: The TeeJ of Philly on July 18, 2016, 06:21:36 PM
The actual story is that the girl, 15, crossed the highway (4 lane) and caught a pokemon. She goes to turn back, puts her phone in her pocket, looked both ways, and crosses the highway and gets hit. At that point, it's not the game's fault. You got hit because someone wasn't pay attention, either the kid or the driver. And that's if the kid isn't doing what all kids do and lie and say they did everything right and that mama will have their back OR if that kids lying because  mama wants to sue and get money.

AND THEN the lady has the gumption to say that the kid was only over there because of the game because, and this is a quote, "no poor kid is gonna just cross a highway"

Bitch at 11 I crossed a 4 lane highway just to get a fucking slushie at a gas station! At 15 I crossed three to walk to work. A kid is gonna cross a "highway" if it means saving 10 minutes on a walk rather than walking to the nearest light.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/mom-says-teenage-daughter-hit-by-car-in-tarentum-after-playing-pokemon-go/399354824 Is the link.

Fucking Western PA.
I couldn't remember all the details of it, but I remembered the mom was trying to blame the game for what happened. Like you said, the girl could have been lying about doing everything right. Either way, too many people are playing this game and not paying attention to their surroundings.

Cory

Id rather throw my phone off the cliff how frustratingly bad the servers are.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Fnord

Quote from: Cory on July 20, 2016, 05:08:01 PM
Id rather throw my phone off the cliff how frustratingly bad the servers are.

OMG, I was just thinking that!

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.