News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Sega Is Bringing Back the Genesis Console

Started by Black Death, July 26, 2016, 09:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

For anyone who was a kid in the 1980s, console gaming largely came down to a choice between two systems – the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) or the Sega Mega Drive (sold as the Sega Genesis in North America). Much like today's ongoing rivalry between Playstation and Xbox, gamers claimed their allegiance to a particular console and stuck loyally with it.

Throughout the heyday of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming, Nintendo for the most part dominated Sega in terms of sales. This isn't to say that the Sega didn't have a strong fanbase, however. Game franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog and Golden Axe were particularly popular during their day, despite Nintendo's consistent lineup of highly successful titles released each year.

The concept of a new competitive era between the NES and the Sega Genesis seems laughable, but that's exactly how things are shaping up. CBR has just revealed Sega's announcement that in an gesture to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog's 25-year anniversary, The Sega Mega Drive Classic will be released with 80 built-in classic games. The console will also come with a cartridge port for gamers who either managed to hang on to past games or are willing to shop around for the classics. Check out the full list of titles on the Sega Genesis Classic, below

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Bonanza Bros.
Chakan: The Forever Man
Columns
Columns III
ComixZone
Crack Down
DecapAttack
Robotnik'sMean Bean Machine
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Jewel Master
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star 2
Phantasy Star 3
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog II
Sonic 3D Blast
Sword of Vermilion
The Ooze
Vectorman
Vectorman II
Mortal Kombat I
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat III
Adventure in the Park
Cross the road
Jack's Pea
Jewel Magic
Curling 2010
Plumbing Contest
Wall-Breaking
Bubble Master
Break a Fireline
Mahjong Solitaire
Warehouse Keeper
Chess
Memory
Snake
Air Hockey
Spider
Naval Power
Balls
Cannon
Fight or Lose
Bottle Taps Race
Bomber
Checker
Hexagonos
Whack-A-Wolf
Mirror Mirror
Panic Lift
Black Sheep
Flash Memory
Brain Switch
Mega Brain Switch
Hidden Agenda
Dominant Amber
Hide and Seek
Jura Formula
Lost World Sudoku
Meatloaf Rotation
Mya Master Mind
Skeleton Scale
T-Rex Memory Match
Yawning Triceratops

In addition to the console, At Games (the Chinese company licensed by Sega to rerelease its games) will also release a handheld version of the Genesis called the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Retro Games Handheld, which comes with an SD slot so that gamers can add to the device's library digitally.  Sega's announcement follows on the heels of Nintendo's recent revelation that a mini NES would be released this coming November, officially titled The Nintendo Entertainment System: Classic Edition. That console will also be loaded with a selection of old school titles, though only 30 in comparison to the Sega Genesis' 80. Though the NES classic has the advantage of size in that it can fit into the palm of one's hand, it does not have the advantage of a cartridge port. Sega's attention to detail in this respect will undoubtedly play well with many gamers – many of whom will be familiar with the halcyon days of 1980's gaming.

Although Sega's new console will appeal to many, the safe bet is still on Nintendo to take the upper hand in sales. The Sega Genesis may have 80 preloaded titles, but 30 of these titles are puzzle games. Given that in 2016 the puzzle game market is somewhat dominated by mobile phone apps, the most sought-after titles on the new Genesis will surely be among its initial 50. Even from this standpoint, the Genesis has 20 more nostalgic titles than the NES, but Nintendo's titles are more likely to draw in the gamers who remember playing them as kids – back when Nintendo was trouncing Sega in the console wars.

Of course, those who buy either the new Sega Genesis or the NES Classic won't necessarily be limited to one particular demographic. New generations of gamers will likely also get in on the fun and whether they choose Sega or NES will ultimately help to create a new console battle, thirty odd years after the original one took place.

The Sega Genesis Classic will be released in October 2016.

I love the Genesis ... War it never changes  lol 

The War begins again
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

jagilki

Cory

Speak of the devil, I found my old NES (working, all hooked up) and Sega Genesis (just ordered an AV cable for $4) and I plan on hooking them up as getting my collection back up as my summer 'project'.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Adam Wrong

FXBlade

if this is like the ones they have released before, they aren't that great.  The games lag, and unless you point the wireless controller directly at the console it tends not to connect whilst playing.

The mini NES should be cool though.  Decent selection of games that cost a fortune to buy at the moment.

Judge

I have all the Roms ever released for these consoles and I can play them right now

jagilki

Cory

The problem with emulators is that I've never found a decent controller. I've used Xbox controllers but its unnatural playing NES and N64 and stuff so I bought a NES USB and N64 USB and they're both garbage. The NES controller d-pad isnt nearly responsive enough and you cant really map the stick on a N64 controller.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Chris Stern

it's not new, it's just a re-release of their previous megadrive/genesis plug in play console just minus Streets of Rage 1-3 and that one sucked more than that Neo-geo plug in play. The emulation is all off, the sound is painful. So unless they used a better emulator in this release avoid like the plague.