News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

tech question

Started by James Onlee, July 30, 2008, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Onlee

Alright, so i used my dvd recorder to record some of a video game for a video.  Now i want to edit that footage.  What i have are two folders on the dvd, one labeled video, and the other sound, neither of which contain data i can open into Windows Movie editor.  Anybody know what i can do to get the data from the disk to a format that i can open in WME?  Do i need another program, or what do you suggest?

JohnS.

What format are the files you have now in the two folders? Depending on what file type they are, then you want to get a converter. You can probably find some good freeware ones if you just google '(filetype) to .wmv converter' or something along those lines...Once you convert it you'll be ready to go.

Judge

They're VOB files.  They're MPEG2 files.  Recording to a DVD isn't the best way to go about getting the files off and into an editable format. That being said, WMM doesn't like many file types.  You can open Unencrypted VOBs in VLC and a few others, but offhand, I don't know of any free video editors that support them.

Your best bet for doing something like this is to either convert your DVD into 1 giant file, like an AVI or something, and then edit that, or find a better way to get the video from your TV to Computer, either by using a DV cam or getting a capture card in your computer and doing it that way.

I've used this in the past:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/Video/prod/AVC-1410/

It doesn't support component inputs, just composite, so that's a limitation, if that bothers you at all.  You can search on Ebay for them.

Judge

Moving to computers and tech forum.

The Rick

I believe you'll need software that will let you take DVD files off the disc directly into your editting suite. The problem is some DVD Recorders don't create the file structure that regular DVDs use so it can be difficult to do this.

I'm having this problem myself at the moment as I want to take my Nan & Grandad's 50th Wedding Anniversary from ages ago that was on a VCR converted to DVD+R and make copies for my family onto DVD-R and it's proving a nightmare. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it too.