News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Fond Memories 1

Started by Excaligore, July 31, 2008, 05:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Excaligore

Excaligore: Fond Memories of Games 1: Lemmings

(DISCLAIMER ABOUT VIDEO: If you haven't played before don't let this video play past the intro. Otherwise it's revealing a lot of the early stages.)

Lemmings

To the first of the most fond of memories I decided to go with a true classic and what I concider my favorite puzzle game of all time, Lemmings. Now, the reason I picked this game is because I belive that in this day and age it may be overlooked. Basically, I think everybody should give this game a shot. Both charming and morbid, Lemmings themselves make for every interesting characters. Basically, the point of the game is that you have a group of "Lemmings" that come out of a trap door and from there will go forward never stopping. Whenever they run into anything they bounce back. If they hit a ledge. Like urban myth states they will walk off of it. Basically, in the game your goal is to give each Lemmings a power in order to guide as many as you can across the stage to a door at the end.

It sounds kind of stupid, yes. But, it's really fun and challenging. Basically what you have to do is use all of the lemmings and give them powers such as to stop other lemmings, build bridges over gaps, have them bash through mountains, etc. You can tell a large amount of effort went into the stages as they each have a clever gimmick which legit forces you to think sometimes. Leads to very interesting game elements when you combine the fact you have to be watching over all the lemmings which can be scattered all over the stages and notice that they never stop moving.

A fond memory of mine owning it for years on the SNES. I'm 90% sure the PC version is probably a lot better(because that's what the target was) but still an incredibly fun game. An incredible interesting game. An incredinbly amusing game. An incredibly brain challenging game. An incredibly frustrating game at times. Always fun.

Give it a shot.

This has been the first(and hopefully I'll get better with each edition) edition of "Fond memories".

TheNthDegree

*cackles as they boot up the PC in the basement with Oh NO! More Lemmings!! on it ...mwahahaha*

THis was one of the first DOS games I ever played. ...I enjoyed self destructing them after the level was over XD

Judge

Hmm... it's a tough call...the fondest memory I've had is with the first RPG I ever played, Secret of Mana.  That's why it ranks so high as one of my favorites.

Then I went and beat beat DQ1 and FF1 and I got addicted.

The Murph

Good job Cliff. Glad you finally got it out there. Well written and can't wait to hear Fond Memories 2. And the game to me is like Burnout. The best way to finish them off the better.