Web Development Question or Questions rather

Started by T Jay, August 02, 2008, 04:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Jay

So here's the dizzle, I've been teaching myself web design, development or whatever you want to call it for a few years now. I'm not genius when it comes to the subject, but I'm no beginner either. I'm constantly wanting to expand my knowledge in this category as well. But there is something that I really want to know about, but just can't seem to figure out myself. So maybe someone here knows, I apologize in advance if this is hard to follow. I'll try my best to make it clear.

I was in a federation many moons ago called EFWO. One of the features EFWO had was a section where members could log in and edit their own wrestlers roster page. Think of it like E-Fedding Myspace type of stuff. Instead of about me and interest sections it was weight, height, bio... and everything else found in an application that you need to put in to sign up.

Now it wasn't part of the forums in anyway and it wasn't the whole site. There was a page to log in, pages for the information that you could edit then the submit button and boom it showed up on the roster page set up for your character. I've toyed with the idea of doing this for AWR as the members want detailed roster pages, I doubt it will happen, but who knows. Now either way it's something I'd like to learn about.

I've read about CMS, content management systems but they seem to be more for articles or blogs. The best I can think of to do something like this is in PHP and MySQL. Problem lies within' that I don't know jack about PHP or MySQL except what they are, and although I want to learn about them I don't even know where to begin.

Any info for good ol' Teej?

Zombie Gunn

What you're thinking of is called Mexi's Backstage Script.  I know they have a copy of it at EWZine, which is where I got it.  I know there's a few PHP versions of it in production, but they aren't finished and don't likely look to be finished anytime soon.

With that script, the roster can also post roleplays to it and create a "latest 5" to post onto the front page of your site.  I have a heavily modified version of it on Experts now that I use for news posting.

T Jay

Thanks Jesse, I'll have to look in to it. I'm always wanting to expand my knowledge

ottawaclo

actually got a asp coded site that has no downloads and has forums and everything intergrated into the site already. We are using it for my fed but will be "selling" it here to fed heads here soon who will be able to skin it however they want. Supports a payroll feature as well. Hit me up if interested

Zombie Gunn

T Jay

I checked that out Jesse... don't know though, I've never worked with CGI scripts so it could be a hell of a process for me...

And sorry ottawaclo, that sound cool but I'm not looking to pay for anything any time soon.