News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"

Started by Marq, August 15, 2010, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

One of the most enjoyable times I've had in a movie theater, ever.

Non-stop laughs, AMAZING fight sequences (from people you'd never expect), great performances, stylized in a way that would never work for any other cast in any other movie. Highly, highly recommended.

P.S. I will never ever look at vegans the same, again. :)
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Sgt. Josh Underpants

I agree with you Marq, saw it last night with some friends and it was great.  We spent a good 2 hours after the movie just talking about it.  I highly suggest everyone go see it
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Conor

Two weeks before I get to see it. Grr!

Sgt. Josh Underpants

I might go see it again this week, with some other friends
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Kid Notorious

Yeah, it was pretty good movie. Would've liked to see more of the group living their lives, but it's hard to fit a year's worth of a bunch of people sitting around a bar talking into a 2 hour movie.

Jonny Worldbeater

I'm thinking of going to see it, but I'm kind of up & down about it.

I saw the trailer for it and didn't really care for it. I thought Michael Cera looked like a Grade A douchebag and the whole plot about having to fight the chicks super-villain ex-boyfriends looks pretty fucking weird and ridiculous.

BUT, it's been getting a lot of good reviews from people whose opinions I respect, and from what I gather about it it's based around a lot of things I like.

I've heard it's kind of a slacker boredom kind of picture, and I like a few things like that.

I've heard that it's kind of like an over-the-top anime, and I'm into those too.

I've heard there's a lot of inspiration from like old-school 8-bit NES era video games and I think those are pretty cool.

I've heard it's got kind of an Alternarock vibe going for it and I've heard that it's kind of a Kung Fu Comedy like Jackie Chan or Kung Fu Hustle, and I dig that stuff too.

And I've also heard that it's based on a comic that's supposedly really good and if I'd ever heard of it before and got a chance to read it, I think I'd probably like it.

So yeah, I don't really know how I feel about this one and I've heard a lot of both the good and the bad about it, but I think I'm gonna give it a chance (maybe even today) and see what it's got to offer and whether or not it can win me over, and even if it doesn't I still might give the comic a look just to see what that's like.

So as somebody on the fence, I guess I'll give it a look and report back later.

Kid Notorious

The plot looks ridiculous because it is, and it's supposed to. But it's a great story and the movie is really funny.

If you're a gamer or even a little bit of a comic fan, you'll like the books. They're in black and white but that doesn't take anything away from the goodness.

In the books Scott comes off as a bit of a douchebag, but it's more that he's just blatantly clueless to how his actions affect certain people. He's not a retard, but he's also not very bright, especially when it comes to the opposite sex. The movie doesn't get enough time to really put the group dynamic into the perspective of the books and so Cera comes off as more of a douche than he's supposed to.

Tezmission Black

Go watch the movie end of story lol

Jonny Worldbeater

Just got back from seeing it. Long story short, this movie rocked my balls and kicked about a thousand pounds of ass.

I'm still not sold on Michael Cera, but he was awesome in this movie. In fact everybody was. The entire cast was just perfect.

Stylistically, it was absolutely tremendous too. The way they integrated comic book and video game imagery into the film was expertly executed, and the soundtrack fucking RULED.

The action was spectacular and each of the fights was done in a unique kind of way.

The dialogue was great, if a bit cheesy at times, but some of the lines they were throwing out were just instantly quotable. A few of my favourites being:

"So what do you play?" "Um, Zelda, Tetris, Metroid... It's kind of a big question"
"Scott, if your life had a face, I would punch it."
"Being vegan makes you better than normal people"
"You punched the highlights out of her hair!"
"This song is for the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony and it's called 'We Hate You, Please Die.'"
"WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB AND WE'RE HERE TO MAKE MONEY AND SELL OUT AND STUFF!"
"The comic was better than the movie."

The plot and characters were great and strangely enough I thought very realistic. I mean, basically the movie is kind of a John Hughes 'rites de passage' movie, but exaggerated way over the top. It all feels very real and heartfelt to me, and I definitely feel like it has a fair amount of depth to it beyond the spectacle.

I just think, there's so many mindless blathering, mass-produced, cash-cow films that have rolled off the fucking assembly line lately, and believe me I saw my fair share of them in the trailers beforehand. For one, 'Vampires Suck' by same talentless fuckholes that gave us Disaster Movie and Meet The Spartans, Charlie St. Cloud which looks like any other vacuuous 'life goes on' melodramatic shlock, and 'The Other Guys' which immediately teases you with the idea of an action movie about the fucking awesome duo of Samuel L. Jackson & The Rock and then delivers the sad news that it's actually a comedy centered around Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.

But anyway, the point is that with so much garbage that gets peddled out, it's just great to be able to see a movie that actually has something relevant to say, and we've been lucky enough to get a decent handful of them in quick succession lately.

Some people have called it pretentious and I think that word gets thrown around a bit too much these days, which I'll freely admit even I'm guilty of as well, but to me this movie isn't anywhere close to that. To me this isn't full of itself, it's just ambitious and done well. To me, it's not pretentious, it's just plain good.

It's not going to be for everyone, and most likely if you didn't grow up through the 80's and 90's chances are it's not going to be your thing, but for me, this movie was great, and I'm keen to listen to the soundtrack, read the comics and watch the movie again.

BIG Thumbs Up.

Gary

I am still not interested..im just sick and tired of Michael Cera and the dude that looks like him that is in Social Network.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Kid Notorious

The soundtrack does rule. I've been listening to this song almost non-stop since I got back from the movie a week ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB4VDQI6XM

Conor

Quote"This song is for the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony and it's called 'We Hate You, Please Die.'"

That bit made the final cut? Sweeeeeet.

Gah, I gotta wait another two weeks to see this movie! I burned through the books in about four days (save #6, which I pre-ordered) and I really enjoyed them. I can't wait to see how it looks on the big screen.

Tezmission Black

This is one of those movies I will be buying when it comes out, It is a just a great movie

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on August 22, 2010, 04:22:08 PM[spoiler]Am I the only one that would have rather just stayed with Knives? The main girl was kind of lame, but that was likely how she was written in the book. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]As I understand, it's like that intentionally. The basic deal is that all three of the characters in the love triangle have their own problems with relationships and emotional immaturity that they have to kind of deal with and figure things out.

So I think it's kind of the point that they make mistakes, and things probably aren't going to work out for Scott and Ramona (all though whose to say they would've worked out for Scott and Knives either), but as they both say in the movie they're what they need for each other right now and whether it works out or not it's important that they have the experience.[/spoiler]

Kid Notorious

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on August 23, 2010, 10:06:08 PM
[spoiler]As I understand, it's like that intentionally. The basic deal is that all three of the characters in the love triangle have their own problems with relationships and emotional immaturity that they have to kind of deal with and figure things out.

So I think it's kind of the point that they make mistakes, and things probably aren't going to work out for Scott and Ramona (all though whose to say they would've worked out for Scott and Knives either), but as they both say in the movie they're what they need for each other right now and whether it works out or not it's important that they have the experience.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The movie ends a little differently from the books, but thats because this movie was being made before the last book even came out. In the books Ramona doesn't go back to Gideon, she gets depressed about everything thats happened to Scott because of her and disappears.  A few months pass by after Ramona disappears, which Scott spends laying in bed the entire time until Wallace finally kicks his ass out. Eventually, Scott goes to look for Knives and this happens:

But after being missing/asleep for months, Scott finds out that Knives is over him (and 18!), though she does relent to a kiss...

"But it was horrible. For Everyone. (Including you.)"

Eventually, Scott goes to fight Gideon anyways (after a nice talk with Kim, who doesnt get near as much storytime in the movie) and gets his ass handed to him.

The part where he dies and comes back to life is in the books, but thats where he finally finds Ramona again and they make up. Scott uses his extra life and comes back, only this time... Ramona joins in and it becomes Scott and Ramona vs Gideon.

Knives DOES fight with Ramona but it's alot earlier in the book and eventually they make up. Or she just gets over it. I forget.

So yeah, with Ramona by his side Scott kicks Gideon's face in. The end bit, with the two of them agreeing to 'try again' and walking off towards the Sub-space door on a new journey together is taken directly from the book, but the rest of the movie's ending's pretty different.[/spoiler]

Seriously, you guys should read the books. They're hilarious.