News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"

Started by Marq, August 15, 2010, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagilki

Maybe, just maybe it's something that appeals greatly to those that it appeals to and turns off greatly those who are turned off by it?

I watched it recently and find myself in the middle.  I think it had some decent parts, but could see where people could find it rubbish at the same time.

Black Death

I love the film , but yeah I can see where some people can look at and dismiss as just trash
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on November 25, 2010, 06:31:47 PM
Yeah, could be that.

Or maybe the movie appeals to a niche target audience of geeks, hipsters and indie rock fans and you just don't have a taste for any of that.

But probably insanity.  ;D

I could appreciate that comment if they had not spent 60 million dollars on it. You don't spend 60 million dollars on a film for a niche market my friend.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Trumpers on November 25, 2010, 11:35:02 PMI could appreciate that comment if they had not spent 60 million dollars on it. You don't spend 60 million dollars on a film for a niche market my friend.

You might for a movie based on an incredibly popular comic, again targeted at the same audience of geeks, hipsters and indie rock fans.

You might also be willing to invest that amount because it's average or possibly even below that for a typical Hollywood film nowadays.

You might also be willing to invest that amount for the same guy who made Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

If they're willing to give $130 million to Watchmen, $70 million to 300 or $110 milliojn to fucking Ghost Rider, I hardly see it being out of the realm of plausibility to give $60 million to Scott Pilgrim.

Personally, I think the movie is pretty much guaranteed to become a cult movie success even if it wasn't a commercial one. It's already got a strong following of people who recognise it as a good quality film, and more importantly identify with where it's coming from and what it's about. If you're not into this sort of thing, there's probably not much point in watching it to begin with.

And this is coming from somebody who didn't think much of it coming in. I saw the trailers, saw a couple of jokes I thought were lame and Michael 'Please Punch Me In The Head As Hard As You Can' Cera in the lead and thought 'Wow, that looks like shit'. But I heard good things about it and about the comics and the retro game references and the indie music and the whole hipster vibe of it and thought 'Hey, I'm kinda into that, I'll at least give it a chance to impress me', and much to my pleasant surprise it did just that.

And if you don't like it, that's fine. Maybe even if you are into all that stuff, you still didn't like it, and that's fine too, though I'd imagine if you were into it coming in you'd probably be more open to it. But I think it's only a fair thought to keep in the back of your head with things like these that sometimes 'maybe I just don't like it 'cause it's just not for me'.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Conor

Quote from: Trumpers on November 25, 2010, 11:35:02 PM
I could appreciate that comment if they had not spent 60 million dollars on it. You don't spend 60 million dollars on a film for a niche market my friend.

To be fair, no one thought Iron Man was going to be the massive success it turned out to be and they still spent $140 million on it. Not many people outside of comic book fans gave a crap about the character but when the film came out it got great reviews and good word of mouth to become a box office smash.

Considering the sheer number of effects (both practical and computer-generated), sets that had to be designed and the size of crew Scott Pilgrim would have required, $60 million is on the low end.

And even if you hate the movie, you can't deny the fight scenes were wonderfully choreographed and shot.

Jonny Worldbeater

Admittedly, the opinions expressed by the last two posts come from a guy whose Xbox Live avatar is wearing a Scott Pilgrim t-shirt and a guy with a clip from the movie as his avatar, so make of that what you will. ;D

Black Death

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on November 26, 2010, 09:03:05 AM
You might for a movie based on an incredibly popular comic, again targeted at the same audience of geeks, hipsters and indie rock fans.

You might also be willing to invest that amount because it's average or possibly even below that for a typical Hollywood film nowadays.

You might also be willing to invest that amount for the same guy who made Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

If they're willing to give $130 million to Watchmen, $70 million to 300 or $110 milliojn to fucking Ghost Rider, I hardly see it being out of the realm of plausibility to give $60 million to Scott Pilgrim.

Personally, I think the movie is pretty much guaranteed to become a cult movie success even if it wasn't a commercial one. It's already got a strong following of people who recognise it as a good quality film, and more importantly identify with where it's coming from and what it's about. If you're not into this sort of thing, there's probably not much point in watching it to begin with.

And this is coming from somebody who didn't think much of it coming in. I saw the trailers, saw a couple of jokes I thought were lame and Michael 'Please Punch Me In The Head As Hard As You Can' Cera in the lead and thought 'Wow, that looks like shit'. But I heard good things about it and about the comics and the retro game references and the indie music and the whole hipster vibe of it and thought 'Hey, I'm kinda into that, I'll at least give it a chance to impress me', and much to my pleasant surprise it did just that.

And if you don't like it, that's fine. Maybe even if you are into all that stuff, you still didn't like it, and that's fine too, though I'd imagine if you were into it coming in you'd probably be more open to it. But I think it's only a fair thought to keep in the back of your head with things like these that sometimes 'maybe I just don't like it 'cause it's just not for me'.

That's just my opinion anyway.

agree with this , but than again it from a guy thay had a scott pilgrim punch avatar for along time  ;D
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Tim-Æ

I didn't know what the fuck a Scott Pilgrim was until I saw the preview. I thoroughly loved the film. It was more fun than most of the shit I've seen this year. So far, it's in my top 10 along with Inception.

Judge

It's a movie a lot like Kung Fu Hustle with the over the top absurd fight scenes, and still a romcom type of movie.

I loved it.   I thought it blended well.  If you stopped watching after the first 15 mins, you severely missed out on this one.