News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by GM Franchise, June 23, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Quote from: PapaPancho on April 29, 2014, 03:01:23 PM
If you acknowledge that he will fight tooth and nail to keep the team then you have to in the same breath prevent him from running the operation while he fights in the court room.

I don't think he should be anywhere near owning a team...

He should have been voted off the island long before this recording surfaced. This isn't a first time offense.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Jon

To add:

But just a week or so ago, everyone was more than happy playing for a man like that. The league was alright with him being an owner.

Then when a recording surfaced which told us everything we already knew... NOW it's a big deal.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Jon on April 29, 2014, 03:04:37 PM
To add:

But just a week or so ago, everyone was more than happy playing for a man like that. The league was alright with him being an owner.

Then when a recording surfaced which told us everything we already knew... NOW it's a big deal.

Arguing with the wrong man on that point.  Been on the fire Donald Sterling trail for years and that was just under basketball decisions.  It's one thing being sued in court for actions.  It's one thing to settle and pay of money.  It's another for your own voice to be recorded and played over loudly.

Even if you are right about he should have been gone long before.  That doesn't change the fact that we can be happy that he is gone now.

GM Franchise

Quote from: Jon on April 29, 2014, 03:04:37 PM
To add:

They knew this YEARS ago. There's been multiple incidents with him as team owner.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on April 29, 2014, 03:23:39 PM
They knew this YEARS ago. There's been multiple incidents with him as team owner.

Yeah... that's what I said...

GM Franchise

Quote from: Jon on April 29, 2014, 03:26:24 PM
Yeah... that's what I said...

My question is why was nothing done when there's been a pattern of racist and sexist behavior from Sterling? The NBA screwed up with this big time when they could've had it handled years ago.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

Oh yeah, 100% agree.

By biggest beef along with the NBA's lack dealing with this much much earlier is the players, coaches, other owners who were fine with it before, never saying anything... but now that something like this has surfaced in the media comes in... all of sudden...

Actually... listening to Stephen A. Smith now...

He is... like he says... is educating me on the whole thing.

¿PapaPancho?

Bomani Jones Talking About The REAL Donald Sterling Problem

Bo knows Jon ...

But while we all agree that the NBA should have acted earlier that doesn't make them acting now any less of a correct response.

Justin

Most of his other issues were outside of basketball. This was directly related

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: GM Franchise on April 29, 2014, 03:28:09 PM
My question is why was nothing done when there's been a pattern of racist and sexist behavior from Sterling? The NBA screwed up with this big time when they could've had it handled years ago.

For several reasons:

1) It was known in the NBA circle, never got past that aka never happened in this social media mess, at least in a NBA relevant sense.

2) Stern was so entrenched as commissioner there was no reason for him to take a stand

3) the most important one, it never affect the NBA's bottom line. As soon as sponsors starting to pull themselves from the Clippers ALL of the NBA started to lose money.

Mike Powers

First let me say that I in no way defend Sterling for his beliefs and statements. They're ancient, reprehensible and vile.

That said.....this is America. The country that says having an organization like the KKK is okay, due to freedom of speech/expression/religion. Being racist is disgusting, but not a crime. Recording a private conversation, without a warrant or consent, isn't admissible in court in California (and may be illegal, although I'm not sure; it is illegal in some states).

This ruling, in my opinion, sets a dangerous precedent to private businesses nationwide.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Mike Powers on April 29, 2014, 05:51:42 PM
First let me say that I in no way defend Sterling for his beliefs and statements. They're ancient, reprehensible and vile.

That said.....this is America. The country that says having an organization like the KKK is okay, due to freedom of speech/expression/religion. Being racist is disgusting, but not a crime. Recording a private conversation, without a warrant or consent, isn't admissible in court in California (and may be illegal, although I'm not sure; it is illegal in some states).

This ruling, in my opinion, sets a dangerous precedent to private businesses nationwide.

It was recorded by a private citizen and not a government entity.  She was recording her own conversations.  Now if you want to talk dangerous precedent talk to Linda Tripp and her recordings of Monica Lewinsky and that was way back in 1998.

Let's not get stuck in another issue and forget the issue at hand.

Mike Powers

There are 2 issues. First is Sterling being a piece of shit. Second is a question of legalities.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Mike Powers on April 29, 2014, 06:04:29 PM
There are 2 issues. First is Sterling being a piece of shit. Second is a question of legalities.

Federal Law
QuoteFederal law permits recording telephone calls and in-person conversations with the consent of at least one of the parties. See 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(d). This is called a "one-party consent" law. Under a one-party consent law, you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation. Furthermore, if you are not a party to the conversation, a "one-party consent" law will allow you to record the conversation or phone call so long as your source consents and has full knowledge that the communication will be recorded.

California State Law
QuoteEleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Note: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people.  In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent. See the State Law: Recording section of this legal guide for information on specific states' wiretapping laws.

It's an issue for the courts.  Let's be happy with what the NBA did today even if it was late. Better late than never.

J-Reb

This is the NBA. He can sue the crap out of her for recording those comments but he doesn't have much of a leg to stand in when violating the NBA's code of conduct.  The owners are well within their right to remove him when the time comes according to the CBA both players and owners agreed upon.