News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by GM Franchise, June 23, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Franchise

Magic waive Jameer Nelson

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11158495/orlando-magic-waive-veteran-guard-jameer-nelson

QuoteORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic's final link to their old regime is now gone.

The Magic waived Jameer Nelson on Monday, parting ways with their longest-tenured player in a move to save valuable salary cap space and turn a page toward the future. Nelson's departure comes just weeks before the team would have owed him $8 million for the final year of a three-year contract.

But by waiving him by July 16, Orlando owes the veteran point guard only $2 million in guaranteed money.

In a statement released by the team, Nelson thanked the Magic management and ownership, adding that he'd miss the fans that embraced him and "made it easy for us to adopt Orlando as our second home."

"I appreciate the opportunity the Orlando Magic has afforded me and my family over the past 10 years," Nelson said. "All good things must come to an end, however, and it's time to move on. I look forward to continuing my career as an NBA player and will never take for granted my time in Orlando."

Nelson was selected by Denver 20th overall in the first round of the 2004 draft, but was acquired by Orlando in exchange for a future first round pick on draft night. Listed at 6 feet, he was undersized on most nights but played in 651 regular season games in Orlando with 556 starts, averaging 12.6 points and 5.4 assists, and posting one All-Star season in 2009.

He also was a stalwart on the Magic teams that made the 2009 Finals and 2010 Eastern Conference finals.

Nelson was the final roster link to both of those teams, with most of the other players now long gone.

He leaves as the franchise's all-time leader in assists with 3,501. He ranks second in games played (651) and field goals attempted (7,033), and third in minutes played (19,038).

In addition to being a fan favorite, he was also a fixture in a locker room that went through an awkward divorce from Dwight Howard -- who at one point suggested replacements for Nelson -- and a painful 62-loss season the following year.

Nelson, 32, could potentially re-sign with the Magic, but he's expected to garner interest in free agency from teams who need a veteran piece.

Orlando general manager Rob Hennigan has been tight-lipped in recent weeks when asked about the team's plans for Nelson, each time praising him for his professionalism and value to the team.

He did so again on Monday.

"Jameer is the ultimate professional," Hennigan said. "We truly thank him for his contributions to the organization, both on the court and in the community, during the last decade. He will always be a member of the Magic family."

But his decision to let go of Nelson, who served a mentor role for Victor Oladipo during his rookie year last season, is clearly a nod to the future.

Orlando made a draft night trade to acquire the rights to 10th overall pick and point guard Elfrid Payton out of Louisiana-Lafayette. He appears to be the franchise's hope at the position now, after Oladipo struggled at times to play the point last season.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Justin

Nelson would be a very good pickup for the Heat.  They ship Cole and let Napier learn under Nelson for two seasons.

GM Franchise

I think he'll be a hot target for teams looking for a veteran guard. I think a lot of teams will show interest.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: JustinP on June 30, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Nelson would be a very good pickup for the Heat.  They ship Cole and let Napier learn under Nelson for two seasons.

Lowry is better who they have targeted

Justin

Quote from: PapaPancho on June 30, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
Lowry is better who they have targeted

True, but he will come with a bigger price tag.  Nelson gets $2 million from the Magic and then what the Heat can give him.  He's not going to want much, I'm sure he's to the point where he wants to win.

GM Franchise

Pistons won't pick up Billups' option

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11159308/chauncey-billups-contract-not-renewed-detroit-pistons

QuoteAUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons say they won't pick up the team option on Chauncey Billups' contract for the 2014-15 season.

Coach Stan van Gundy says Monday's announcement was a hard one. He says the 37-year-old guard "will always be a valued member of the Detroit Pistons' family."

Owner Tom Gores says Billups has shown "leadership, dedication and excellence both on and off the court" and says he's confident Billups will have "a long and bright future" in the league after his playing days are over.

Boston drafted Billups out of Colorado in 1997. He played for Detroit from 2002-2008 and again in 2013.

Billups also has played for Denver, Orlando, Toronto, Minnesota, New York and the Los Angeles Clippers.

GM Franchise

Raptors trade for Lou Williams

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11154257/toronto-raptors-trade-john-salmons-lou-williams-atlanta-hawks

QuoteThe Toronto Raptors have agreed with Atlanta to trade guard John Salmons for fellow veteran Lou Williams, according to sources close to the process.

Sources previously told ESPN.com that the teams were in "deep discussions" on a deal to send Salmons to Atlanta for Williams in time for the Hawks to be able to waive Salmons and pay only $1 million to buy him out of next season's $7 million salary.

The Hawks, sources say, will immediately waive Salmons to expand their projected salary-cap space for this summer to $15.5 million, though one source cautioned Sunday that the move is more about flexibility and roster-shaping for the Hawks than any specific free-agent target.

Sources say that the Raptors will also acquire the rights to Brazilian big man Lucas Nogueira from the Hawks. Nogueira played for Estudiantes in Spain after being selected with the 16th overall pick in the 2013 draft.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Raptors engaged in serious discussions on draft day to swap Salmons and his cap-friendly contract for Grizzlies swingman Tayshaun Prince and Memphis' first-round pick (No. 22). But those talks collapsed when two players Toronto was targeting in that draft range -- Tyler Ennis and Gary Harris -- were gone by the time the Raptors made their first selection of the round, drafting Brazilian project Bruno Caboclo at No. 20 overall.

J-Reb

Good move by the Raptors.  They had little chance to resign Lowry and got his replacement for cheap + promising Nogueira as well.

Gates

Now the Raptors have 2 Brazilians to let the Toronto fans down!

As for the Bucks, don't worry. Kidd will become head coach and the overseer of basketball operations which is what he wanted in Brooklyn, and all will be right for him.

GM Franchise

This is a good trade for the Raptors. Nogueira is a defensive playmaker. This guy is a big time shot blocker. Add Williams to this and this is an overall solid trade for Toronto.

Lucas Nogueira's Summer League Block Party

Highlights Lucas Nogueira (Bebê), ACB - Spain

Krazy

Jason Kidd having more pull then coach? Please get the morons out of the office of Milwaukee!

GM Franchise

That's why the Nets shipped him off to begin with. He wanted too much power.

Krazy

The Bucks need someone who doesn't have there heads up their ass!

GM Franchise

Well then they clearly have the wrong guy.

Gates

The fact that Milwaukee got him after that leaked out shows that they might be willing to give him that power...at least to me.