News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by GM Franchise, June 23, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Franchise

Gregg Popovich agrees to extension

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11196065/gregg-popovich-agrees-multiyear-extension-san-antonio-spurs

QuoteGregg Popovich has agreed to a multiyear contract extension to continue coaching the reigning NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs announced the extension Wednesday but did not disclose terms.

Popovich, 65, has coached San Antonio to five NBA titles since becoming the team's coach in 1996-97.

The Spurs won their first championship since 2007 last month when they defeated the Miami Heat in five games in the NBA Finals.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

GM Franchise

Agent: Carmelo still hasn't decided

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/11196159/carmelo-anthony-agent-says-made-decision

QuoteCarmelo Anthony remained a free agent Wednesday night, the day before players can start signing contracts with NBA teams.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, told ESPN that his client "hasn't made a decision yet" as of Wednesday afternoon. "No decision yet," another source said. "Still up in air."

Newsday reported that New York Knicks coach Derek Fisher hadn't been told that Anthony had decided to re-sign with the team, despite a report saying he had.

Sources told ESPN on Wednesday that a number of rival teams increasingly believe that Anthony was holding off on announcing any decision about his future until LeBron James revealed where he'll be playing next season.

Sources said that Anthony -- whose decision was widely expected before a resolution to James' situation when free agency began -- has kept the Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and other suitors waiting as he waits for James.

Sources said earlier this week that the Knicks thought they'd know by Monday if Anthony was prepared to commit to new team president Phil Jackson for the long term or sign with the Lakers instead. The Knicks can offer Anthony a five-year maximum deal valued at $129 million, with the Lakers' max offer topping out at $96 million over four years.

Anthony has gone as silent as James with free agency now more than a week old, sparking the belief that he's waiting to see if there is a viable opportunity for the two stars to team up.

"He wants to see what LeBron does," one source with knowledge of Anthony's thinking told ESPN. "But he can't wait forever."

The Knicks have tried to maintain their long-held confidence that Anthony will stay in New York. Anthony held meetings last week with Chicago, Houston, Dallas and the Lakers before granting last word to the Knicks on his interview tour.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

GM Franchise

Rockets could match offer to Parsons

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11196519/restricted-free-agent-chandler-parsons-dallas-mavericks-agree-deal-sources-say

QuoteThe Dallas Mavericks and restricted free agent Chandler Parsons have agreed on a three-year deal worth in excess of $45 million, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that Parsons will sign the offer sheet Thursday, after which the Houston Rockets will have three days to match the offer or lose Parsons.

It remains to be seen whether Houston will match the offer to Parsons while the Rockets are trying to convince Chris Bosh to leave Miami and sign with the Heat.

Sources say Parsons' deal is likely to possess a player option after the second season -- which could make Parsons a free agent in the summer of 2016 alongside star Rockets center Dwight Howard -- and a hefty trade kicker.

The Mavericks have targeted Parsons to join Dirk Nowitzki and Tyson Chandler in a completely revamped frontcourt.

GM Franchise

Sources: No decision from LeBron yet

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11196723/lebron-james-meets-miami-heat-made-decision-yet-according-sources

QuoteLeBron James met with Miami Heat officials for more than an hour Wednesday afternoon in Las Vegas but emerged without a decision about his future, sources told ESPN.com.

James didn't plan to announce a free-agent decision Wednesday night and had not met with his other primary option, the Cleveland Cavaliers, sources said.

If James does choose to leave the Heat, free agent Chris Bosh will sign with the Houston Rockets, sources said. James not rushing to make a choice could put a time squeeze on Bosh. Though he hopes to remain with the Heat along with James, sources said, Bosh has secured a backup offer for four years and $88 million from the Rockets.

The Rockets' position, however, got more complicated on Wednesday when their restricted free agent Chandler Parsons agreed to a three-year offer from the Mavericks for more than $45 million, sources said. Once Parsons signs the offer sheet, which could be as early as Thursday, the Rockets will only have three days to match.

If the Rockets match, they will lose the requisite cap space needed to sign Bosh. They can match the offer and still afford Bosh, but only if they sign Bosh first. To make room for Bosh, the Rockets will need to execute at least two trades, likely involving Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, to clear cap space.

The Heat were represented at the meeting by president Pat Riley and general manager Andy Elisburg. James was joined by his agent, Rich Paul. This was the first known face-to-face meeting James has held since officially becoming a free agent on July 1.

James spent the morning and the evening working out and speaking to high school and college stars at his LeBron James Skills Academy basketball camp.

The Heat planned to talk to James about their latest free-agent commitments, forwards Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger, in addition to going over roster possibilities with him. Currently, the Heat have only four players expected to be under guaranteed contract for next season on their roster.

Cory

I think if the question comes down to if you're Lebron do you want to play with Wiggins/Love/Irving or Napier/Bosh/Wade its pretty clear what the RIGHT choice is.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

Donald Sterling: 'I will never ever sell' the Clippers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/07/09/second-day-of-donald-sterling-testimony-probate-trial-la-clippers-ownership/12418689/

QuoteLOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling didn't lose any of his combativeness overnight as he took the stand Wednesday for a second day of questioning in the probate trial vs. estranged wife Shelly.

An outcome of this trial could help pave the way for Shelly to go ahead with her sale of the Clippers for $2 billion to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Donald was dismissive of Shelly in his answers to questions by his longtime attorney, Max Blecher. And as her testimony ended the day's court session, Shelly walked past her husband sitting in the front spectator row,and he said to her: "Stay away from me, you pig."

On the stand, Donald railed against the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver, who banned him for life after his private racist comments were released by gossip site TMZ.com and fined him $2.5 million.

And later, when Shelly took the stand, she outlined how she had seen Donald change and said, "He's just not the same person he used to be."

Her testimony ended the court session for the day.

Donald Sterling, on the stand, said he "probably would have" agreed to sell the club if the NBA had removed the penalties, which he thought they had initially.

"They indicated they would resolve all of the issues that remained, implying that if there was any punishment, which was the most serious punishment in the history of the Bar association and the history of sports," Donald testified. "To impose a $2.5 million fine. To bar somebody forever. There's something behind that, and we'll find out what it is."

*Of Silver, Donald said. "This guy's been in office all of 60 days and he's going to show the world he's not going to permit racism. But I'm not a racist. I love all people."

*On changing his mind and opposing the sale, Donald said, "I changed my mind. Or they changed my mind for me."

And then he blasted the NBA: "This is the worst corporation in America, and everyone will find out how terrible and dishonest they are. ... I will never ever ever sell this team. Until I die I will be suing the NBA."

USATODAY
Sterling trial spotlights major issue for Baby Boomers
Donald ended his testimony by saying how he runs all his businesses and has made a fortune.

"I do it all, and I'm happy to share it with my wife. I'm happy to give her half ... or maybe more."

With Shelly on the stand, her attorney Pierce O'Donnell asked if she were separated from her husband?

"Sort of," Shelly answered.

She went on to testify she had become increasingly concerned about Donald's mental health in the past three years.

"He's been getting more forgetful. He's slurring his words. He's agitated a lot," Shelly testified. "He gets mad for no particular reason. He's just not the same person he used to be."

Asked if she loves him, she said, "Very much."

As his wife testified, Donald sat in the front spectator row, listening impassively, without much expression.

cnn 7-10-14
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling speaks with CNN's Anderson Cooper during an interview shown May 12, after Sterling had been banned from the NBA.(Photo: Reuters)
Shelly said she was moved to arrange for him to have a mental evaluation after his poor performance in a CNN interview with Anderson Cooper.

"I started crying," Shelly said of her reaction to watching that interview. "I felt so bad. ... I thought for his own health and my health that he should be tested. Something was wrong."

After the session ended, after Donald had said to her, "Stay away from me, you pig," he started to say something else to her, and Judge Michael Levanas interrupted.

"Please don't make any comments to your wife. That's somewhat disturbing," Levanas said.

Earlier, as Donald Sterling took the stand for a second day, he was asked by Shelly's lawyer Bert Fields if he is retired.

Sterling said, "I have five major corporations and I run them all. How could I be retired? You know I'm not retired."

Said Fields: "Have you finished your answer?"

Said Sterling: "Have you finished your question?"

Judge Michael Levanas, who frequently Tuesday had to play traffic cop during Sterling's testimony, interjected: "Well, that's not too bad. It's better than yesterday."

And everyone had a big laugh.

Moments later, Fields wrapped up his questioning, and Sterling's longtime lawyer Blecher began the friendly cross-examination.

"How old are you?"

"Eighty years old, but I feel half that old," Sterling said.

"How long have you been married?"

Sterling looked at the ceiling and said, "A hundred years." After a pause, he said, "I've been married 58 years."

The trial had resumed with Dr. Meril Platzer, who was back testifying after not coming to court Tuesday with her entire file of her examination of Donald Sterling in May. Gary Ruttenberg, one of Donald's attorneys, received the file Wednesday and took up more questioning of Platzer.

Ruttenberg grilled Platzer in his attempt to show that Platzer was, as Donald said in testimony Tuesday, a "hired gun" whose sole purpose was to assist Shelly and her lawyers in getting Donald certified as mentally incapacitated and removed as a co-trustee from the Sterling Family Trust. Judge Levanas repeatedly told Ruttenberg, "Let's move on."

And, indeed, Platzer was asked about her memory of a June 9 phone mail from Donald, a hostile message in which he threatened to sue her and called her "a horrible woman." Platzer testified, "I've been over that tape so many times, I don't even want to listen to it any more."

Donald, in resuming answers to questions by his attorney Blecher, was a witness everyone wanted to hear.

Max 7-10-14
Longtime Donald Sterling attorney Max Blecher arrives at the Los Angeles Superior court for Day 2 of his client's testimony in theprobate trial vs. estranged wife Shelly.(Photo: Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY Sports)
*He was asked about Shelly removing him as co-trustee: "She deceived me. I trusted her . I believed in her. I never thought a woman wouldn't stand by her husband."

*On his wife not being savvy enough to understand the trust, Donald testified: "My wife in her entire life -- my beautiful wife -- has never read the trust. She wouldn't know what's in the trust. The trust is complicated."

*And on Shelly trying to sell the Clippers to Ballmer, Donald testified:

"She has no rights whatsoever. She may be a trustee. But she has no stock. She has no authority to make any decision to sell. All of that will come out."

*On why his wife is attempting to sell the Clippers: "My wife was terrified. She can't sleep, because she thinks the NBA will take everything away from her. Her motivation was she was scared out of her mind. She couldn't sleep. She was scared out of her mind."

Sterling said he tried to calm his wife.

"I tried to convince her that the NBA is just like any other corporation in America, only worse. She couldn't be convinced."

It often seems that the lawyers and witnesses are talking a lot about Donald Sterling's mental capacity. But that is not actually a matter to be decided at the trial.

The two issues that are to be decided by Judge Levanas are:

*Did Shelly Sterling properly comply with the terms of the Sterling Family Trust in having Donald removed as a co-trustee, or was Donald defrauded by Shelly and/or the two doctors who examined him in May and found him to be mentally incapacitated?

*After Donald Sterling exercised his right to revoke the trust agreement June 9, did Shelly have the legal right to go ahead with the sale of the Clippers to billionaire Ballmer?

Also, Donald Sterling's lawyers continue to maintain that his medical privacy rights are being violated by the testimony of the doctors – Platzer and James Spar – who examined him. Shelly Sterling's lawyers maintain there is a provision waiving those rights in the trust.

GM Franchise

Quote from: Cory on July 09, 2014, 09:06:52 PM
I think if the question comes down to if you're Lebron do you want to play with Wiggins/Love/Irving or Napier/Bosh/Wade its pretty clear what the RIGHT choice is.

Yeah it is very clear.

Gates

Quote from: Cory on July 09, 2014, 09:06:52 PM

The rumor I heard was that Wiggins was involved in the deal to get Love?...

GM Franchise

Funny you should mention that...

Report: Cavs trying to line up Kevin Love trade if they get LeBron

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24613205/report-cavs-trying-to-line-up-kevin-love-trade-if-they-get-lebron

QuoteThe Cleveland Cavaliers are trying to pair free agent forward LeBron James with Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

Cleveland has long been seen as a potential destination for Love. The Cavaliers want to compete next year, and the No. 1 pick -- now Andrew Wiggins -- is attractive to the Wolves. There were a couple of question marks, though. First, would Love commit to staying in Cleveland? If James was coming, too, then he presumably would. Second, would the Cavs give up Wiggins? If getting Love would make the situation more enticing for James, they presumably would.

Like almost everything else in free agency, James has the power here. If he decides he wants to go to Cleveland and play with Love, then the Cavs have all the motivation in the world to get this done. If not, then no one can be sure how Love's uncertain future will continue to hover over the Wolves franchise.

Cory

Thats a pretty big gamble, trading away a potential franchise player for a guy in Love who didnt want anything to do with Cleveland and could be a 1-2yr patch then leave.

Gates

This would only be a deal I'd do if I was Cleveland if I could be sure Love was going to stay...like maybe try and get an extension. I don't know when Love didn't want anything to do with Cleveland, but maybe Lebron would change that.

J-Reb

Quote from: Cory on July 09, 2014, 09:19:43 PM
Thats a pretty big gamble, trading away a potential franchise player for a guy in Love who didnt want anything to do with Cleveland and could be a 1-2yr patch then leave.

No way they do the deal without getting an extension lined up from Love. Wiggins doesn't have to be in the deal- the Cavs have several first round picks over the next few years.

Cory

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on July 09, 2014, 09:25:46 PM
No way they do the deal without getting an extension lined up from Love. Wiggins doesn't have to be in the deal- the Cavs have several first round picks over the next few years.

True.

If somehow they end up with Lebron/Irving/Love/Wiggins and Bennett (saying he develops).....it wont be fair. No idea of their cap hits thus it even being possible, but damn.

GM Franchise

If Lebron leaves Bosh is going to sign with the Rockets.

GM Franchise

Greivis Vasquez, Raptors agree to 2-year contract

url]http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/9/5886213/greivis-vasquez-toronto-raptors-contract[/url]

Quoteeivis Vasquez is re-signing with the Toronto Raptors for $13 million over two years, according to Adrian Wojnarowksi of Yahoo! Sports. Vasquez was acquired in the Rudy Gay trade midway through last season and was a valuable contributor off the bench.