Started by Alex Smiley, January 28, 2019, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

Generations of Experts Collide!
(Word Limit: 2500)
Sally Talfourd vs Vannah White

RP Deadline: Sunday, February 23 at 11:59 PM Pacific

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

saltal

—[ The Reappearance ]—

The reappearance is a beginning magician's trick. It is simple in its illusion, and a trick that will engage onlookers immediately.

At its essence, it is as simple as making an object reappear after having it disappear from the view. With a small object, sleight of hand will be sufficient. For larger disappearance-reappearances, more 'production' may be required.

All emphasis must be placed on the reappearance, with the return of the object being the greater of the magic involved.

—[ A few weeks ago, after Sally's Experts match. ]—

"Well" A tired, exhausted, exasperated voice breaks the silence of an empty locker room, "That's one way to restart the career."

Locker rooms are never lonelier or colder than after you've debuted. Right after the buzz and the excitement hat's enveloped you, to be faced with nothing ... there's a sting to the air.

Of course, there's nothing more exciting than returning to the ring. Especially when it's the first match you've had in years. And for the Experts, no less.

"Knock knock," A familiar face (to Sally and her followers at least) pops his head through the door, "Does the world's greatest wrestler have any time for her manager?"

There's a scoffed laugh from Sally, "I don't know - I'll call her and check."

A smirk from Matt - Sally's manager - as he lets himself in. Surveying the room, he buries his hands in his pockets and shakes his head, "Nine? Ten years of this? And you still can't keep a room clean."

Sally shrugs, "I'm paid to wrestle, not clean."

Matt lets out a sigh and a slight nod, "I can't hold that against you."

A good manager can tell when his client needs a perk-up and when they need their own space. Matt, being a great manager, knows Sally needs more than a perk-up right now, "Look, throw your stuff together and let's get going. I'm taking you out for a dinner to celebrate the end to yet another successful run!"

There's a moment of excitement. Just a moment, and then, "You're taking me to Chuck E. Cheese, aren't you?"

"It's not just a restaurant ... it's an entertainment centre!"

Matt beams a smile, Sally manages a grin and another scoffed laugh. He takes a seat beside her, "Look, Sally, I know what you're like after these matches. You've got the high and then you've go the low ... even with a win ..."

"It's not that ..." Sally starts to mindlessly pick up clothes and belongings, "It's just I don't know if this is what I should be doing, you know? I stepped away for a reason."

—[ A week ago, at Sally's place. ]—

Not for the first time, nor the last time, we find Sally Talfourd red-faced, drenched in sweat, breathing deeply as she drags herself through her front door. A deep drink from a bottle of water does little to alleviate her present condition. Collapsing with the all the effort of someone who has been pushing hard through a long run around the city, the chance to gather her wits and energy is certainly appreciated.

After what could seem like not long enough for someone whose legs burn, whose lungs sting, and whose head is filled with the strategy and planning for a pending match ... Sally picks up the TV remote and clicks it on. Idle noise, the kind that simply fills an empty space. Completely uninterested, she begins to move about the house, somewhat aimlessly.

Checks the refrigerator, checks a cupboard, checks the refrigerator again, then a different cupboard, then plants herself back in front of the TV. Aimless wanderings.

The phone rings. Thank gosh.

"Hello!?" Sally, now with a dash of excitement, fumbles for the speakerphone button.

"Sally? Matt here; tickets booked for tomorrow. When can I bring them around?"

"Later tonight, I guess. You can stay for dinner if you want as well?"

"No no, business to tend to; I've got a call in with Japan. We're looking for new talent to represent and stuff. But thanks for the offer."

Sally's face reads like she's just found more training time: Keenness and determination, "Fine, fine. Better leave them in the letterbox. I'll be down at the gym if I don't need to be around here. I've got some years to make up."

—[ A few days ago, at the Seattle Athletic Club. ]—

A few hours here at the SAC, Sally's deep into her routine. An hour on cardio (treadmill-bike-treadmill-rower). A half-hour on the weights now. She's into the rhythm of her reps. Weights across the shoulders. Squat down. Hold it. Squat up. Go again. This goes on for a dozen times before she rests the weights, exhaling a long breath. Time to cool down, but not too much: She'll be back.

Such is the focus and the determination on conditioning herself ... preparing herself ... readying herself for this match she is staring down that's she's all but oblivious to the world around her. She misses the occasional guy who walks past and checks her out. She misses the impressed looks people throw her way. She missed the clock which has lost count of how many hours she's spent here in her life.

No, she's focused on herself. She looks at herself and, rather than seeing the strengths and the compliments, she sees the weaknesses. She feels the weaknesses and she knows the subtle signs she gives off. After all these years in the ring, and injuries and operations and wear and tear piling up ... she knows her weak spots. And, rather than put on a brave face and say they're not there and hope that a less smart wrestler simply believes her ... she's changing herself. She's modifying her style. She's adapting to the present situation.

Sally goes back to the weights, taking the load on her shoulder, and then goes through another rep of squats. Down, then up. Down, then up. Bend and the hips, turn out the legs, keep the feet flat. She goes through the motions, staring at the mirrored wall ... at herself and all her weaknesses.

—[ A couple of days ago, before the flights. ]—

"I'll have a soy chai latte, please!"

"No problem," There's an exchange of money, the clerk smiles at Sally, "It'll just be a minute."

Sally steps to the side, dressed down in her training gear. The one indulgence for the week, the one 'temptation' that can't be kicked. Of course, it's all justified under the banner of 'pre-match rituals', but that's besides the point. A quick and sneaky latte on the way to the arena has found Sally success and failure ... but let's just remember the successes.

There's a lot of contemplation going into this coffee. The final adjustments to the plans. The final checks on the list. The final chance to make sure every base is covered. A championship match deserves no less. It deserves the pull attention and the full dedication that you expect of a champion.

"Excuse me," A tiny voice cuts through the thoughts.

Sally, shocked back to reality, is startled to find a young girl (can't be more than 8 or 9) almost bursting with excitement standing as near as you can get to a person.

"Yes? How can I ..."

"You're Sally Talfourd!?" It's not as much as a question as a confirmation. The girl had been watching her since the wrestler walked in; now the voice confirms it, "Oh my gosh! I'm going to watch you tonight. I watch all your matches!"

"Oh really!?" Sally enters fan-mode, crouching down to the girl's level.

"I have your shirt and I have a poster and one time I had you sign the magazine that's for sale at the shows," The girl looks around, trying to remember everything that has Sally Talfourd's name plastered across it in her room, "I basically have everything."

"That's so great! Thank-You for buying it all."

"Are you going to win tonight?" The girl's eyes widen with anticipation, the gasp in her voice punctuating it.

"I don't know ..." Sally rubs her chin, "It's going to be a hard match. I mean, Ana Archia is pretty good, right?"

"Yeah ... I guess ..."

"What do you think?" Sally's brow furrows, "Do you think I'll win?"

The girls mimics her hero, rubbing her chin and frowning before coming to a conclusion, "Yes, yes I reckon you'll win."

Sally stands with a beaming smile, "Well, then I guess I'll have to win! I'll do my best and try and win for us!"

The girl's excitement takes over and she jumps up and down with excitement, "And then you'll be champion!"

Sally grins, "Yeah, champion again."

"Soy chai latte!?"

"Yep," Sally turns back to the counter "That's me."

With her coffee in hand, the wrestler turns back to the fan, "Well, I have to go to the arena ... you'll cheer for me tonight, right?"

"Of course!"

"Loud?"

"So loud!"

Sally grins, pats the girl on the shoulder, "I'll listen out for you! You get there safe!"

As Sally leaves, this young fan just stares after her in awe. The Sally Talfourd, in the flesh. Her day ... no, her year has been made. She doesn't move from the spot until she can't see her favourite anymore. Then, when she floats back down to earth ...

"Mum! It was her! It was her!"

----------
[/b]

You know, when you're entering the final quarter of your career, there's not much to say that you haven't already said. Not much to do when you're running down the home stretch, is there? Like, all that hard work and that training and the hours that you put in over years and years and years ... that's what's going to decide the end result.

I mean, we all practice. We all try to get better. We all build ourselves up mentally and physically for this moment. And, yeah, I'm sure we could all measure the preparation and whatnot and see who put in the most effort and the most yards.

But, now, as I get nearer and nearer to the end ... the results will speak for themselves. The person with their hand in the air will be vindicated and those three people looking at the celebrations will, ultimately, be left wondering what happened.

Each match is a new benchmark, so to speak. I now see each and every opportunity to reapply my craft as something that is a gift rather than an obligation. A gift to myself and to the fans and to the opponent.

And, this time around, the gift goes to Vannah White.

The Experts have given you and I, Vannah, a great opportunity. For what little I've played my part here, I intend to make sure that only the best of this most recent crop of Experts get a page in the history books. I will put my everything into this match as I have put it into every match to make sure our match is one that is deserving of the Experts memory.

And, with that, comes the challenge to rise to.

If you can get past my best, good: You will deserve to have a chance at the future that the like of I are abdicating from. If you can't, then I guess the wrestling business will keep on waiting for the next Sally Talfourd. And the same goes with every match tonight: Whoever is in it, whoever wins it, whoever has anything to do with it ...

The Experts have always meant everything in this business. This is the key to saving this business. Saving it from its own supposed defenders. Saving it from itself. Saving it from this threat and the next threat and the next threat.

Level-One

Happy endings & New Beginnings

''It's done..''

That was the last thing Lester had said before Vannah had started recording. Tonight was the night, APW's RassleMania VII in Berkeley, CA ; the final results of the match made apparent by the APW Undisputed Championship that lay strewn upon the glass table with a streak of blood painted upon it's front plate which was almost as intriguing as the single strand of hair that had been clinging to the strap.

''Thank you, Sally.'' She started as she leaned over her own reflection. ''You know, the big oaf may never admit it to you, me or even himself but I think you were his toughest challenge yet. See, Lester much like many of them are stuck in their ways. They believe that women are somehow lesser of what is two equals and that when a Sally Talfourd does emerge that it is merely an act of happenstance, a rare anomaly that would likely never be replicated again.''

Ever so gently, Vannah plucked her strand of hair off the title belt and studied it closely.

''Certainly if men like Lester had their choice then surely that would be the case. Sally, he's done everything he possibility could to hold me down, to hold me back. He talks down to me, tells me that this wrestling shit is not for a gal' like me. A gal like me? Shit, I don't even know what that means! I know I sound crazy but one day, I will prove him wrong... one day, he'll see that Sally Talfourd isn't the only one he needs to contend with as the greatest of all time...''

Vannah takes a deep breath and slips the strand of Sally's hair into her pocket.

''I know you'll never even see this but if I had a chance to meet you, I would make sure you understood how big of a role model you are not only to me but every other girl watching at home, aspiring to be the next APW Undisputed Champion or even True Expert.''

With her free hand, she lifts the APW Championship off the table but doesn't realize how heavy the gold belt actually is. As a result, she loses her balance and the title plunges from her grasps and shatters the glass table.

''Oh fuck!'' She cried.

In a panic she forgets that she's recording the scene and tosses the camera aside to tend to the mess she's created backstage, upon dropping the cam corder onto the ground the recording cuts out.

''Do you think you'll ever find something that you truly love doing?''

The question emerged beyond the confined POV of the camcorder but certainly piqued her interest, her gaze drawn towards it's lens.

''Hmm?'' Vannah hummed while peaked over her painting easel, wearing a straw hat far too big for her noggin. ''What exactly do you mean by that? I've always wanted to be a world renowned painting artist. Ever since I was a little girl, I've made the world my canvas.''

''Bullshit, Vannah.'' Her best friend and camera woman Gloria objected. ''Last month, it was Yoga. Three months before that, you were taking a uni class for hospitality. Oh, and weren't your working in a call center like last year?''

''A day to be exact if we're still being a stickler for details.'' Vannah smiled. ''But come on, I learned a lot of useful things from that class and Yoga was soooooo much fun, it's still a part of my daily routine I'll have you know.''

''I just think it's about time we figure out exactly what we should do with our lifes before we find ourselves working at a shitty drive thru restaurant flipping burgers in a small boring ass town somewhere, nowhere.'' Gloria said sucking her teeth.

''Imagine that.''

Little did she know, that's exactly where they'd both eventually end up.
[spoiler]http://ewcprez.proboards.com/thread/35988/another-crowd[/spoiler]

''So what the hell are you painting anyways?'' Gloria digs.

''It's not what, it's who.'' Vannah stressed as she prepared the finishing touches on her piece. ''Her name is Sally Talfourd. She's only like the greatest female wrestler of all time. She's paved the way for little girls worldwide to lace up their boots and step in the ring even against men. Can you believe that some wrestling federations still separate men and women solely based on their gender?''

''Oh, this wrasslin shit again.'' Gloria rolled her eyes. ''Girl, have you ever thought that maybe that's your TRUE calling? And that all this other shit that we've been doing is all meant to eventually put you on that path of one day walking down that ramp?''

''All the time.'' Vannah replied softly. ''Yet, despite everything that Sally Talfourd has done for the sport and to open the doors for girls like me to walk on in, that curtain never seems to open for me and the soundtrack never plays.''

With a sigh, Vannah turns around her easel to reveal the water painting she had created in SalTal's image. For a moment, even though it was fleeting; she had wondered if she'd ever get to show Sally and if so, if she would do the honor of signing it for her?

Although Gloria enjoyed her painting, she didn't much time praising it. In fact, it likely compelled her to say...

''I think maybe you're just being too fucking nice about it all.''

''What do you mean?'' Vannah pouted as she looked at her own painting from top to bottom. She thought she had done a good job...

''Vannah, you need to stop playing by their rules.''

QuoteWhile the EWC certainly appreciates the efforts put forth by Vannah White and the company she keeps we do not feel that it is in the best interest to dedicate such a significant portion of our production resources towards her proposed television series.

After hearing the news that her pilot for her series had been turned down by EWC.tv, she was heartbroken.

''Vannah, there's always still Netflix and Hulu streaming services..'' her manager Brian McPhee told her, trying to remain optimistic.

''Brian, I'm a wrestler now.'' Vannah reminded him, clearly annoyed as she marched through the corridors of the EWC headquarters. ''If the worlds biggest wrestling corporation isn't jumping at the chance to make this happen then why would Netflix or Hulu pick it up?''

Brian knew she had a point but he was doing his best to talk her down from a ledge at this point. He struggled to keep up with Vannah as she marched to the executives office door.

''Wait!'' Brian cried before grabbing Vannah by her arm. ''Think about what you're doing right now. You've spent years trying to get to this point. You've held a host of shitty jobs, you've struggled to make ends meet but we've managed to change that together. If you go in there and you cause a stink' this could sour our relationship with the EWC forever...''

''I. Don't. Care.''

In defiance she pulled away from Brian and barged into the office of one of the EWC.tv execs. He was taken a back by her sudden presence but elected not to call for security right away.

''Excuse me, ma'am?''

She tried to remain tough but it was not in her nature.

''I'm soooooo sorry about barging in here like that.'' She admitted. ''Wait, no actually I am not. Look mister, I know you and your buddies in fancy suites don't believe in a girl like me. You think I lack the experience. You loathe the idea that I was plucked from one of your crowds and instantly became a hit with my fellow fans but I want you to know that you've made a huge mistake by turning me down!''

''Is that so?'' The exec pondered.

''Yeah... yeah it is so!'' She responded as if she was seeking her own validation. ''In fact, I was doing you all a favor by pitching the idea to you all in the first place, I thought I'd do you guys a solid!''

The exec laughed almost sadistically as he waved her off. ''Thank you for your considerations but truth be told Ms. White, this was your attempt at creating your own version of Happy Endings TV and you are no Sally Talfourd.''

He was right.

And the very next day, she created her YouTube channel.

I find myself on the eve of the biggest match of my life against a real life idol of mine and my emotions are mixed somewhere between excited and anxious.

The excitement part is self explanatory, isn't it? I mean, never in a million years did I think that I would ever get an opportunity to work a match with the likes of Sally Talfourd! I was 18 years young at the time when I first seen her in action and as a closeted fan of hers my experience is a unique one that I fully intend to share with all my amazing fans and our experts faithful!

And I guess that's where the anxious part of me comes into play. I'm anxious because while my perspective on Sally Talfourd is super unique, I don't know how she truly feels about me. After all, the historied blood feud she had with Level-One has lasted for over a decade and it was likely that she still see's Lester as my mentor. I know that it's possible that her ill feelings towards him, may be transferred onto me be it justified or not and I honestly couldn't fault her for it either way.

I was there.

After each battle, I experienced the aftermath. Some nights called for celebrations, like the first time Level-One had beat Sally Talfourd. He had thrown an impromptu party on his dime and spoiled us all with bred and wine. And then there were his self diagnosed dark times, like when Sally Talfourd survived the Elimination Chamber and became the first female APW Undisputed Champion he hurled abuse at anyone within his radius and insisted that we were nothing more than distractions to him that somehow was the cause of his shortcomings.

Although it may not be clear to some of you and maybe even SalTal herself but I am not an extension of Level-One. This is why I would like to personally thank Sally herself for granting me an opportunity to forge my own path. It's why I need to thank the Experts for giving me the platform to make my voice heard once and for all and for granting me an opportunity to denounce virtually everything that the name ''Level-One'' has come to represent and stand for.

For the remainder of this address, I will no longer speak upon the name.

Sally, I am sorry that I once stood as a figure of ignorance in opposition to you. I was young, I was dumb and quite frankly I had no clue as to what I was doing. Since I was 18 years old, I've been trying to find my way in life. Initially, I clung to a dingy pole under cheesy strobe lights in some of the darkest corners of England's nightlife and I hated it. And even as I found an escape from that life, I've been desperately searching to find another...

And you Sally more than anyone else helped me find it.

A few weeks ago when I heard you were returning to The Experts as a late replacement in the experts tournament, I was sooooooo excited. I'd be lying if I didn't say that my initial desire to boycott the event due to the participation of others was quickly replaced with me wishing I had been brave enough to partake in the event from the get-go. Though, once the initial shock of the announcement died down I realized that you had just been used as a pawn to jolt the Experts dwindling viewership and that you weren't giving an actual opportunity to show your talents or to advance in the tournament any further, the fix was in.

Sally, I heard what you had to say prior to your match with Daryl Pritchard and although some may take an issue with her tone at times, you were only ever speaking the truth. As you predicted, he failed to live up to anyone's expectations and wasted an opportunity of a lifetime. Furthermore, he wasted your time. Time you could have spent enjoying your retirement, cooking meals or precious time with your family and that made me angry. It was at this point, I knew I needed to stand up, stand out and speak up not only for myself but for you too, Sally.

You deserved better.

I mean, who am I kidding... most would say that you deserve better than me. That a match with Kurt Noble or the aforementioned would certainly do more for your legacy that I could and yeah, it's probably true. But then I think back to my friend Gloria, who told me that I shouldn't play by their rules.

Like when I was at EWC Monday Night Brawl and the security told me that I should stay seated. Or like the EWC.tv exec who told me, ''no, you aren't ready'' OR the same people who told you, the great legendary Sally Talfourd...

That you'd NEVER beat the one.

And yet, by the count of two and three you did exactly that. Sally, you are my greatest inspiration.

Soooooooooo although some of the fans and maybe even you don't see it yet, I'm stepping in the ring with you to give you the justification you seek to justify your return to it. More importantly, I hope you be able to push you to the very limits in which you realize that there is no further you need to go...

I know you think that this business still needs you and that your return to it is a necessity but I am going to do everything in my power to put your mind at ease and to convince you that it isn't so that you can go back into the peaceful retirement you had been enjoying until the experts had interrupted it.

If after everything is said and done, you feel it is in your best interest to continue on after this then I, along with all these amazing fans will continue to enjoy the fruits of your labor for what marks the remains of your career.

Win lose or draw, I'll reach into my pocket and pull out that single strand of hair and I'll blow it off into the wind.

Cause' when they said that there will never be another Sally Talfourd.

That's OK,
I told them.