News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

EPL 15/16 DISCUSSION

Started by Cory, August 09, 2015, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Glad to say I witnessed Leicester City play this season, maybe the greatest story in the history of sport

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jon

Quote from: Cory on May 02, 2016, 05:10:07 PM
Glad to say I witnessed Leicester City play this season, maybe the greatest story in the history of sport

Nothing beats Miracle on Ice.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

Quote from: Jon on May 02, 2016, 07:18:07 PM
Nothing beats Miracle on Ice.

5000/1 to 1000/1.

You can find just as many reasons why Leicester winning (most teams had 1 player worth more than the entire Leicester team, leading scorer worked in a factory like 3 years ago, etc) was as good a story as miracle on ice or buster douglas beating Tyson....it's purely subjective.

I believe if you're trying to rank these or determine what was the greatest story the most logical way is statistics, and statistically speaking Leicester City with 5000/1 odds makes them the greatest underdog of all time.

Unless you're american or like hockey...then so be it. Both great, mine is measurably more favourable.

Jon

Quote from: Cory on May 02, 2016, 07:25:39 PM
5000/1 to 1000/1.

You can find just as many reasons why Leicester winning (most teams had 1 player worth more than the entire Leicester team, leading scorer worked in a factory like 3 years ago, etc) was as good a story as miracle on ice or buster douglas beating Tyson....it's purely subjective.

I believe if you're trying to rank these or determine what was the greatest story the most logical way is statistics, and statistically speaking Leicester City with 5000/1 odds makes them the greatest underdog of all time.

Unless you're american or like hockey...then so be it. Both great, mine is measurably more favourable.

I think what LCFC did was absolutely amazing. The fact they did it for a 10 month (I think) season is just crazy to me. It's a great story of an improbable run. 5000-1 odds is just a crazy number though. I mean it speaks to the feat but to put it into perspective... The Browns are only like 200-1 odds to win the Super Bowl and if we did that, we'd talk about that as being one of the best underdog stories of all time. So while I'm sure it was thought of as impossible that LCFC would win let alone compete this season, I think the odds are a bit ridiculous.

But Miracle on Ice was the greatest upset in a single event on the largest viewed event in the world... The Olympics.

The 1000-1 odds was the greatest upset in sports history for a single event. It captivated the entire world. And while I am bias as I am American and I do favor hockey over soccer... I think 10 years from now, an uneducated sports fan would probably know of Miracle on Ice and not now of what LCFC did during an improbable PL run. Of course that would also depend on where you live. I'm sure every sports fan in England would be the exact opposite. So maybe it is because I'm American haha.

Adam Wrong

Summer Olympics yes...

Winter Olympics... nobody gives a shit about unless you live in a cold country

Jon

Quote from: Adam Wrong on May 03, 2016, 11:03:54 AM
Summer Olympics yes...

Winter Olympics... nobody gives a shit about unless you live in a cold country

True, while not as popular as the summer version. Still more popular then any single EPL event.

Dorling

I haven't googled it, so I don't actually know what the miracle on ice is.

T-Bonizzle

I don't think anyone outside of the US really does. Jon is overestimating the importance of it. It's the greatest moment in American sports history, but I don't think the rest of the world bats an eye.

Dorling

I have since googled. I understand the significance of it. However, how many games is the olympics?

Premiership is 38, hence the longer odds - to maintain that level of performance, far above where their level of ability should probably put them, is incredible. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day, but essentially beating everyone 38 times is a whole other ball game.

Drama Queen

The truth is Leicester did what I truly began to believe is impossible. They broke a glass ceiling that is only penetrable by throwing obscene amounts of cash at it. It just does not happen in English football today. Anytime a club enters that top level of the hierarchy it's because they got a new owner that has invested in them beyond the reach of regular clubs.

This is like a throwback to three or four decades ago when my a team like Ipswich could gel together for a year, but there were no "superclubs" in those days.

What Leicester did is quite frankly unbelievable.

Hell, I might even start watching football again because of it!

Cory

It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of transfer prospect they can attract this off-season, and if they can hold onto Vardy/Mahrez/Kante

Cory

St. Totteringham's Day everyone, what a fucking spectacle that game was.

Rob

We're all CPFC today, arent we?
SixersEagles

[/center]

Drama Queen

Just like fifteen years ago! Hopefully just as exciting match, but with a better result!

Cory

Quote from: Rob on May 20, 2016, 11:30:28 PM
We're all CPFC today, arent we?

Yup, one goal should be enough against that paint drying offense of Van Gaal.