News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

MMA News Discussion Thread

Started by ciscoKID_VWF, July 14, 2008, 06:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AudiblyOffensive

Quote from: MitchMMA on July 20, 2008, 10:10:04 PM
Personally here is what I think should happen next for both guys.

Affliction Main event: Andrei Arlovski vs Fedor for the WAMMA title

UFC Main event: Anderson Silva vs Patrick Cote for the MW title

Silva will crush Cote. Cote is the #1 contender to the title and I do not see him having a chance. The only guy (right now) at 185 I see with a shot is Michael Bisping. There's been rumors of Wanderlei Silva dropping down to 185. That would be a great fight to see Anderson / Wanderlei.

As far as Silva/Fedor... I honestly don't view this as a fair fight. Fedor would have an extreme power advantage from his time against guys like Herring, Noigueria, Cro Cop, etc.

Cory

Quote from: AudiblyOffensive on July 21, 2008, 08:16:16 PM
Silva will crush Cote. Cote is the #1 contender to the title and I do not see him having a chance. The only guy (right now) at 185 I see with a shot is Michael Bisping. There's been rumors of Wanderlei Silva dropping down to 185. That would be a great fight to see Anderson / Wanderlei.

Silva will probably beat Cote. Cote has a similar style to James Irvin, excpet with a better wrestling background. I think if Silva wanted to stand with Cote, I'd push the fight into Cote's favour, but we all know Silva would eventually take Cote down and win. Cote is a very good fighter, but Silva's the best in the UFC.

I've been saying since the start of the year that I want to see Silva/Bisping. Bisping is in the top 10 fighters in the UFC in any weight class, and could beat Silva, and is the only guy who Silva wouldn't walk right over.

Wanderlei going to 185 would be sick. I'd love to see that fight almost as much as I want to see Fedor/Barnett, or Fedor/Arlovski.......orrrr Fedor/Couture.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

Quote from: AudiblyOffensive on July 21, 2008, 08:16:16 PM
As far as Silva/Fedor... I honestly don't view this as a fair fight. Fedor would have an extreme power advantage from his time against guys like Herring, Noigueria, Cro Cop, etc.

I wouldn't say that. From a guy who's had to cut 15 pounds in a month for Football, you'll lose mostly fat, but some muscle too. It all depends on how you go about it. For a 'large' drop in Fedor, using his current weight for instance, being 230, he'd cut 25 pounds. He's not THAT strong of a man (He was able to get Hong Man Choi off him, but he's not a Randleman) I'd bet he'd lose some muscle.

And for Silva to move up to 205, he'd have to cut much less than he would to have to fight at 185, so that'd give him time to build some more muscle and get some strength to him.

That being said, I wont say that Fedor wont have a power advantage. Any heavyweight moving down to LHW will have that, but I dont think It'd play as huge of a factor as you'd think.

Still if this fight were to happen somehow, Fedor would dominate. Silva will strike, Fedor would take him down, and nighty night Silva.

Cory

CARD

Elite XC Middleweight Title: Robbie Lawler VS Scott Smith
Elite XC Welterweight Title: Jake Shields VS Nick Thompson
Elite XC Heavyweight Title: Antonio Silva VS Justin Eilers
Nick Diaz VS Thomas Denny
Wilson Reis VS Brian Caraway
Shayna Baszler VS Cristiane Santos
Rafael Cavalcante VS Travis Galbraith

This looks really fucking good. Three title bouts, a rematch from a sweet match in Lawler/Smith, mixed with A Goat, Big Foot, Nick Diaz, and the chick version of Cyborg and we got ourselves a night of fights.

MitchMMA

Yeah Cory is right, Trump could do great things for Affliction.

Cory

http://www.audiblyoffensive.com/?p=175

My review.

Also, check for Pat's UFC FIGHT NIGHT review soon.

Cory

My thoughts:

-Silva dominated as expected, but was outshun by Fedor on this night.

-I was pissed that JT Money lost, but glad he'll have a shot in the UFC.

-Cain Velasques was a beast, as I said in the AO Fight Night Predictions. I see huge things for this big man in the UFC Heavyweight division.

-Johnson's lost was brutal. The guy gets poked in the eye and loses by KO? Bullshit. He was going to win the fight, was a tough loss.

MitchMMA

This one should be a million times better than the first Saturday night fights event.

Lawler vs Smith 2, can't wait!

Zombie Gunn

That Burns call really pissed me off, and I too was bored to death with the Vera/Andy match.  Not being a huge MMA fan, I have to say that Cain Velasquez looked real impressive.  And not just cuz he's from San Jose.

Cory

Quote from: Jesse Gunn on July 21, 2008, 10:58:36 PM
That Burns call really pissed me off, and I too was bored to death with the Vera/Andy match.  Not being a huge MMA fan, I have to say that Cain Velasquez looked real impressive.  And not just cuz he's from San Jose.

It was funny how he had a 'Brown Power' tattoo across his chest, yet when he was scrambling on the mat with the Irishman Jack O'Brien, they looked the same.

Just sayin......

Cory

MitchMMA

We should do a predictions league for MMA events, anyone interested?

Speaking of which here are my predictions for the upcoming Elite XC card:

Elite XC Middleweight Title: Robbie Lawler VS Scott Smith- Lawler
Elite XC Welterweight Title: Jake Shields VS Nick Thompson-  Shields
Elite XC Heavyweight Title: Antonio Silva VS Justin Eilers- Big Foot Silva
Nick Diaz VS Thomas Denny- Diaz
Wilson Reis VS Brian Caraway- Caraway
Shayna Baszler VS Cristiane Santos- Cyborg Santos
Rafael Cavalcante VS Travis Galbraith- Cavalcante

Cory

Me and Pat do one on Audibly Offensive, but I'm down.

Elite XC Middleweight Title: Robbie Lawler VS Scott Smith
Elite XC Welterweight Title: Jake Shields VS Nick Thompson-
Elite XC Heavyweight Title: Antonio Silva VS Justin Eilers-
Nick Diaz VS Thomas Denny-
Wilson Reis VS Brian Caraway-
Shayna Baszler VS Cristiane Santos-
Rafael Cavalcante VS Travis Galbraith-

MitchMMA

Sweet, we'll count em up after the show and see who got the most right. Anyone else interested in joining in on the fun?

MitchMMA

source: MMAweekly.com

Despite much speculation about a possible Nov. 8 date for the next event from fledgling MMA promotion Affliction, MMAWeekly.com has learned from multiple sources close to the negotiations that the promotion is instead nearing finalization of an Oct. 11 date for its next event.

Perhaps more surprising is the location. If the Oct. 11 date is finalized, the second edition of Affliction will take place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, smack in the backyard of industry juggernaut the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Affliction’s clothing brand was once prominently displayed on fighters entering the UFC Octagon, but once the company ramped up plans for its own mixed martial arts promotion, the relationship between it and the UFC quickly fractured. Fighters in the UFC are no longer allowed to wear the competing brand’s clothing at UFC events.

One source indicated that the move to Oct. 11 was primarily to try and facilitate the participation of the promotion’s cornerstone, Fedor Emelianenko. His manager, Vadim Finkelstein, stated prior to the first Affliction event on the M-1 Mix Fight official website that “Two more fights are planned for Fedor in 2008. The first one in October in the context of the next Affliction show in conjunction with M-1 Global, and the second one at New Year’s Eve in Japan.”

When contacted by MMAWeekly.com for comment, Affliction vice president Tom Atencio said that while he could not confirm an Oct. 11 date in Las Vegas, that he would not rule it out either.

“Obviously the UFC is going to counter-program whatever we do,” said Atencio. Asked if he thinks that the UFC would continue to counter-program Affliction, he continued, “I would think that’s what they would do. They tried to crush us with the first show.”

To counter Affliction’s first event, the UFC, in five weeks, put together a UFC Fight Night event that aired live on basic cable network Spike TV. The main event featured UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s light heavyweight debut against James Irvin.

-Hoping to see either Fedor/Arlovski or Fedor/Barnett