News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Much More Than Fulfillment

Started by Wild, July 16, 2010, 02:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild

I'm in highschool still, planning to major in news and editorial journalism. I am a sports fan and want to start working on such things. I hope this will be the first of a weekly editorial from me for your reading pleasure. Comments and whatever is welcome.

Much More Than Fulfillment

From the first times their hands graced that orange circle known as a basketball, an NBA player has always dreamed of that special day. Well to be more truthful, dreams can’t even come near to the adrenaline rush of having your name called for the first time. That moment in which David Stern announces that a team has selected you as a draft choice is one of the most memorable times in a player’s life. It’s the real moment legacy is born and the moment that more than lifetime dreams are fulfilled. It’s a moment of tears and great satisfaction. It’s in that very instance you know your hard work has paid off and really meant something. All the times you heard “That’s Impossible” or “No you can’t” are formally put to rest. Every new NBA player all the way to the proven, and seasoned veterans, every one of them has faced criticism and doubt. Its such things that helped mold their drive and inspired them to only prove everyone wrong. From their first defeat or being cut, it’s instances like these that help create the greatest in all of basketball. Mediocre players accept failure and weaknesses, good players try to fix them, and great players thrive for them. Great players get their biggest influences from failures, criticism, competition, and just their love for the game. When you’re a prospect in the league, you have the attention of so many people. Reporters, players, managers, agents, and coaches. They’re all looking for the next big thing, and when they first arrive it’s hard to say who’s going to be what.

In many cases being the top of your draft class means absolutely nothing. Players such as: Kobe Bryant, and Gilbert Arenas tell this story.

Kobe Bryant- The 13th pick in the first round by the Hornets in the 95’ draft and was immediately traded to the Lakers for Center “Vladi Divac”. Kobe is one of the biggest names in all of basketball today and in its history. You can argue he is the best thing since Michael Jordan, considering his 5 championships. Just him alone, single handedly, turned a Laker protester into their biggest fan… Me. According to Becketts 50 greatest players list after only his 4th championship, he is already the 8th greatest basketball player to ever grace an NBA court. Then with his 5th championship he jumps up a few slots on that list, instilling his legacy in basketball history.

Kobe Bryant is living proof that your draft selection means nothing. When people ask what keeps Kobes drive and passion for the game going, he simply says things like, “Competition”. Anyone can become a great player in the league, alls it takes is hard work and a lot of dedication, and a little luck doesn’t hurt either.

As I sit and watch this upcoming years rookies in their first NBA games in the summer league. I learn more about them then any stat can ever tell. Each player has his own style, abilities, and hunger. What separates Legends from Allstars is the hunger to win. As I sit with my eyes glued to the screen I see many players whom fit that description.

John Wall, being the number 1 overall draft pick comes with many expectations. He knows and openly acknowledges this. He doesn’t shy away from moments to set his teammates up and from watching him in Kentucky, I know he loves to win. He thrives off of big time plays, dunks, and just the adrenaline on the court. The kid loves to put on a show but still win. His only complaint while playing for Kentucky was… He wasn’t able to get high impact dunks very often anymore, due to the double teams and defenses thrown at him. That is what I mean by he thrives off of dunks… When you can’t get drive from one object you move on to the next. He took his game and looked for ways to perfect it, and open up lanes to the basket. He began working on his very flawed jump shot, and from what I see in summer league… Good form, nice release, good arch, and good speed, I can tell he put the work in. He made himself a good jump shooter, rendering many defenders helpless next season. Do you play tight on him and guard the jumpshot? If so, he will fly past you with his blinding speed. If you play off him, he will pop a J in your face. It seems to be pick your poison with this kid. With every great player comes imperfections, and right now John Walls two biggest issues is the range on his jumpshot and his assist/turnover ratio. He drives to that hoop with reckless abandon much like Dwayne Wade, which will get him to the freethrow like and very often. With this no turning back perspective on getting to the basket comes ball control. He can drive as fast as he wants but if he loses the ball before he gets there, it totally defeats the purpose. He needs to learn better ball protection.

DeMarcus Cousins, ok the kid is good, damn good. His footwork is astounding for him to be so young. At the age of 19, Cousins can perform moves league veterans only wish they could. He does have a slight bit of weight issues but doesn’t that make him a bit harder to guard? He’s pretty quick on his feet and can bang with the biggest of centers. He’s skilled with his back to the basket and in face up situations. He shows great basketball I.Q on the court and I look for him to be a serious threat for years to come. In downfall, I don’t see his attitude or demeanor where it should be. He just looks aggravated and frustrated every trip up the court, but I think he will change.

Those are the two rookies I see as serious threats this year. They show me a great list of abilities with room for improvement.

This is for your reading pleasure, and on a side note… Who in their right mind is a Heat fan these days? I kid, we all know about the self titled “3 kings” of South Beach and what they’re capable of. I just felt we needed a break from all that madness.

-Ed