News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

NCAA Superconferences

Started by Bryan Payne, June 13, 2010, 03:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Payne

By now most should have heard about the rise of the "superconferences" in American collegiate sports.  The Big 12 (formerly the home of Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas St etc) has split and gone all directions.  Some are heading to the Pac 10 and others to the Big 10 which begs the question of the fate of other conferences in the years ahead.

There are several potential effects for college football, basketball and other sports.. but it does seem to be driven primarily by the football (american) programs of these schools.

What do you guys think is the most likely outcome of all this?

It looks like Nebraska and possibly Missouri might be heading to the Big 10.  Texas and Oklahoma seem a shoe in for the Pac-10 with a USC bared from post season play for the next two years due to the NCAA suspension just handed down dating back to the last National Championship.    The fates of most of the other schools is still undecided, but it seems like one of the big losers might be Kansas basketball as that school might well be left out in the cold in this shake up.

Hondo

From some of the sites I'm reading, it's not going to stop with the Big 12. It also sounds like the Big East and ACC are going to get raided too. One big rumor I'm hearing is Virginia Tech and maybe another school unnamed (Miami?) to the SEC and possibly a few Big East schools to the Big 10. But a lot of that is just conjecture at this point.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Doug E Fresh

When it's all said and done, there will be the Big Ten (who should reconsider their name) the SEC (who are denying adamantly going after ACC schools, the PAC16 or whatever u call them, and one other super conference with leftovers from the others.

But for now, I'd like to see the Big East and ACC stay in tact and then have the Mountain West rise up. With BYU, TCU, Utah, and now Boise, they have a serious BCS case. And this is just if they stay as is as they're looking to snag Kansas & Kansas St.

Bryan Payne

What I'd like to see from a certain perspective is a little rally by some of the smaller conferences with the cast off schools.  For example Boise St. Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St together could form an intriguing core of one of the smaller  conferences and if they did so others 'left out in the cold' as it were might well follow.

Do you think this will have any implications for the BCS?

jagilki

Bryan Payne

They also say Texas A&M could well join the SEC...   hard to imagine Texas and A&M not being in the same conference.