NFL Debate #40: How to bring legitamacy to the Pro Bowl?

Started by Cory, December 28, 2013, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Since the awesome days of the skill challenges and when it seemed anyway that making the pro bowl was an actual feat, it seems now a days, more than ever, its a popularity contest, and something that most real football fans couldnt give two shits about. They tried rejuvenating it with the "fantasy draft" type format this year, but odds say it still wont pull in the numbers the NFL wants.

So my question to you guys is what does the NFL need to do to bring some legitimacy to the pro bowl, or will it forever be a fun time in Hawaii and a bonus paycheck to players.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Mike Powers

There is no incentive to play hard. So you have a sloppily played, half assed game, by people who don't care about winning or losing.

Jon

I don't think I have ever watched a Pro Bowl with any sense of seriousness.

I think if they ever want to make it serious... they need to do what the MLB did and make it mean something.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

GM Franchise

There's a simple solution to legitimacy: don't let the fans vote. The All Pro voting should be used for this and only have the best of the best.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

jagilki

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 28, 2013, 08:32:54 PM
There's a simple solution to legitimacy: don't let the fans vote. The All Pro voting should be used for this and only have the best of the best.

It should be fans vote for the starters... coaches vote for the reserves.

I'm all for letting fans choose who they want to see and most of the time they choose the players that deserve the honor.

Jon

GM Franchise

Quote from: Jon on December 28, 2013, 09:02:11 PM
It should be fans vote for the starters... coaches vote for the reserves.

I'm all for letting fans choose who they want to see and most of the time they choose the players that deserve the honor.

For the starters? Alshon Jeffrey, a top 6 NFL wide receiver, did not make the team. Antrel Rolle, who is third in the league in interceptions, did not make the team. It's a popularity contest which is why the players don't give a crap about the game.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 28, 2013, 09:06:56 PM
For the starters? Alshon Jeffrey, a top 6 NFL wide receiver, did not make the team. Antrel Rolle, who is third in the league in interceptions, did not make the team. It's a popularity contest which is why the players don't give a crap about the game.

Yep, for the starters. Fans are the ones that pay the tickets to watch the game.

Coaching staff can decide the rest of the players.

And I don't think Jeffrey is a Top 6 WR. You could make the argument this season... but Jordy Nelson is right there as next WR in. Hell Pierre Garcon has had a hell of a year too. WR was a stacked group of players this season. Tough to pick just 6. There was going to be snubs there no matter what.

GM Franchise

Jordy Nelson has 200 less receiving yards than Jeffrey this season. Dez Bryant IS NOT a Pro Bowl wide receiver this season. What the hell were they thinking putting him in there? Torrey Smith is only like 30 yards less than him this season. Pierre Garcon has had a better season than Dez yardage wise and he's on a Skins team that's in shambles. Dez has the touchdowns (12) but is tied for the NFL lead in receiver fumbles with 3. In other words the other 5 receivers are good but Dez should not be on there.

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 28, 2013, 09:19:25 PM
Jordy Nelson has 200 less receiving yards than Jeffrey this season. Dez Bryant IS NOT a Pro Bowl wide receiver this season. What the hell were they thinking putting him in there? Torrey Smith is only like 30 yards less than him this season. Pierre Garcon has had a better season than Dez yardage wise and he's on a Skins team that's in shambles. Dez has the touchdowns (12) but is tied for the NFL lead in receiver fumbles with 3. In other words the other 5 receivers are good but Dez should not be on there.

I can see the argument for Dez. You also have to look at it more than just stats. But since stats are what dominate arguments... it just depends on what you value more. Obviously, you have made it clear that you value yards more and thats fine.

Dez is 14th in the NFL in WR yards. But Tied for 1st in WR TDs.
Alshon is 6th in WR yards. But Tied for 17th in WR TDs.

But that is not what this topic is about though. It's about how they fix the Pro Bowl. It's how they bring legitimacy to the Pro Bowl.

And I think you have to make it mean something. Getting rid of fan voting will do nothing to fix the problem. There will ALWAYS be players that are deserving that are left out.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I dont mind the game being cancelled, but the pro bowlers still needs to be an acknowledgement for the players...
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 28, 2013, 09:19:25 PM

Just saying, DeSean Jackson has better stats than Nelson, Bryant, Garcon, Jeffery and Andre Johnson

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

Quote from: Cory on December 29, 2013, 11:49:50 AM
Just saying, DeSean Jackson has better stats than Nelson, Bryant, Garcon, Jeffery and Andre Johnson

He's another major snub as well.

¿PapaPancho?

The Pro Bowl pulls in major numbers ... so cancelling the game is out of the question.

The LAST thing i want is making the game matter like the MLB Game. That would be terrible.

It's an exhibition game.  No legitimacy required. No big deal.  Leave as is.  Maybe expand rosters but that's if.