News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Tim Tebow

Started by Cory, January 02, 2010, 12:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

In my opinion, the greatest collage football player of all time, thank you.

I never cared for collage football, until I saw Tebow run over defensive lineman on a ESPN top 10 show. Since then, he's accumulated what seems like billions of touchdowns, and minus his super religious beliefs, he's up there for my favourite athletes of all time.

So heres to whats next, and these idiotic mock drafts having you go late in the 2nd round all fucking themselves.

As Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy said, he needs to be a top 5 pick.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Bryan Payne

There are a lot of question marks about this guy as far as translation to the NFL level.  Running over some random college DT is a lot different from say running into the wall that is Albert Haynesworth for example.  Run first QBs have a somewhat tumultuous history in the NFL and people are never quite sure what to do with them.  The rise of the "wildcat" kind of throws some question marks in that, but most of the teams who run that a lot are the teams that have trouble generating big plays on offense through the air so they need something to keep the defense honest.. so it becomes like a double reverse writ large more than anything. 

I mean lets look at some of the "modern" running QBs and their fate for a minute.

McNabb: he can still run, but he successfully made the transition into a pass first QB (something not a lot of them do), so he can no longer really be called a scrambler though he proves from time to time that he CAN still do it when he needs to. 

V Young: Gets banged up a lot, wins games, but he's a big physical guy who keeps getting knocked around.  He's probably the closest of the "template" to Tebow physically.  He's done really nothing but win football games, but questions hound the guy about if he'll ever make the transition into consistency throwing the football.  It looks like he's always going to be remembered as the guy who beat one of the best college football teams ever by himself in the Rose Bowl, and quietly slip away into NFL mediocrity.  Which is a great pity.

Vick: Never developed an NFL quality passing.  he could throw threw a brick wall, but the problem was you never knew which wall he was throwing for.  Speed like you wouldn't believe and off the field destroyed his carreer.

Q. Carter:  Just... ouch..  ouch... ouch.  As a life long Dallas fan this was just painful to watch.

S Young: Considered by some to be the ideal blend of the scramble/passer, could get out of the pocket, and was very accurate with the football.  But they ran a west coast offense, he was never required to really push the ball down the field.  Like Tom Brady he dumps off and lets his receivers do the dirty work.  It's smart QB play and it's what you want, but Tebow might have an overpowered arm to play that style of offense he could have control issues.

Cunningham: long serving Eagles QB.  Quality performer for years, but was he ever an elite QB?...  not really.  He seemed to become a case of a guy who never really lived up to his potential, part of is is the rough patch the Eagles in general where in during part of that time, the rest of it will forever remain a mystery.

There are others I'm not really going into detail on here, and then there is a virtual who's who of young QBs who have wheels when they come out of college and get slaughtered trying to make the same running plays they made in college.  Tebow is a physical freak, but he's not fast enough to escape Dwight Freeny coming off the backside, he's not particularly "fast" at the college level, and in the NFL his size is going to mean almost nothing as linebackers will be bigger, faster, and stronger than he is from day one.  Tebow will not rise or fall on his ability to run the football, but his ability to pass it, and that is why his stock has fallen and will probably continue to fall as we get closer to the draft and the combines. 

As mentioned Steve Young and maybe Big Ben over at the Steelers are the closest physical corollaries here but I'm not sure he has Ben's touch with the football, so much of Florida's offense is slashing slants and pushing the football down the field, stuff that's hard to do at the NFL level on a consistent basis because of the quality of defensive back play.

I think he will be "good* at the NFL level if handled right, drafted by a team with a vet QB with two or three more seasons left in him.  The Cardinals for example (though that would mean dumping leinart and making some assumptions about when Warner will retire but he's held up very well physically), or maybe the Seahawks where Hasselbeck seems to be falling apart.  To me the nightmare senerio for this guy is to end up in Buffalo, Cleveland, Redskins or Carolina where he might well be thrust into the starting role right away.  He might also be thrust into that role if he went to San Fran, but with a tough defense there, a solid running game, and now Michael Crabtree it's less of a bad scenario for him.

Bryan Payne

correction to my last paragraph that would be Vince young and big ben

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

What annoys me about Tebow is he gets that same sort of hero worship from college broadcasters that Brady does from NFL ones. Like when I was in the States he had a concussion I believe in October and it was like it could literally be the end of college football.

The NFL doesnt need that.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Duckman

I heard him described as the John Cena of American Football...

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Hondo

Yeah, we might have lost that game but...we made him human. And that has to be the best video ever.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Doug E Fresh

I hate Tebow because he makes himself so hard to hate.

1) From Florida.
2) Is actually a really good college player.
3) Uber religious (even said in an interview he's a virgin).
4) Went to other countries last summer to help needy people and shit.

He's such an actual good person that I just want him to get hit by a bus.

Cory

Think about it though.

He IS John Cena in a way.

He is hated by everyone because people assume things about him. He doesn't ask to be worshipped, people just do. Its like Sidney Crosby here. Hes a local guy, I've met him a few times playing road hockey years back, and now I hate him just because of his fans. They act like he is god and there is no one else. Much like John Cena fans. You don't hate Cena because he cant wrestle....he does just as many lame gimmicky moves as Orton or Batista. You hate Cena because he is loved by the 7-15 range of fans....and they're whats being targeted too....thus making the product less appealing to us.

I highly doubt hes a virgin. When this is your girlfriend...

Hardly believe that.

But on top of being statistically the greatest ever, look at Doug's points. He's a good guy, and does a lot of hard work for his community and for others in need around the world. He's not getting DUI's or drug charges, or jumping out of a moving truck like other football players.

Cory

and on Tebows abilitiy to pass.....he showed last night, 483 passing yards against a tough Cincinatti D.

Ill admit he has not SHOWN that he can pass, as usually in more frequent games he would pass for 1-2 TD's and rush for 1-2 TD's and get pulled. I mean, averaging 3 TD's a game for 4 years.....thats definatly NOT what Im looking for in a QB.

Get real.....I would love to see Tebow drafted to my Philly Eagles....my favourite player playing for my team.....but Philly's playbook is too different....and their style of o-line wouldn't work. Now think about Tebow going to Vikings with Harvin. Vikings have a deadly o-line....and Tebow could learn from Favre in his last year.

Hondo

Quote from: Cory on January 02, 2010, 01:00:08 PM
Think about it though.

He IS John Cena in a way.

He is hated by everyone because people assume things about him. He doesn't ask to be worshipped, people just do. Its like Sidney Crosby here. Hes a local guy, I've met him a few times playing road hockey years back, and now I hate him just because of his fans. They act like he is god and there is no one else. Much like John Cena fans. You don't hate Cena because he cant wrestle....he does just as many lame gimmicky moves as Orton or Batista. You hate Cena because he is loved by the 7-15 range of fans....and they're whats being targeted too....thus making the product less appealing to us.

Stop making sense, Cory!! lol

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Shawn FX

Tim Tebow will be sorely missed here in Gainesville. Maybe the Jacksonville Jaguars will draft him. He certainly looked comfortable playing in New Orleans. Then again, I could see him in a Saints uniform. How ironic would that be? His last college game could very well be in the same location of his first NFL game.

You just never know.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I'd say he is going top 3 in the draft so basically top three teams...maybe St. Louis.

Bryan Payne

lol, would that be the same offensive line that the last four weeks seems incapable of pass blocking to save their lives?  The one that created that whole drama with the coach wanting to pull Farve because they couldn't keep him on his feet?  Or the Brett Farve who wouldn't mentor Aaron Rodgers and was quite public about not giving a shit if he learned the ropes or not?  Yes 483 passing yards against a team they admited, while favoring them against Florida btw, that they had one of the worst defensive units in the country.  Forgive me if I don't take that as a glowing crowning of his "golden arm".  Ultimately it was again mostly that slant style of route running that doesn't translate well to the NFL level and leads to 25 INTs and 3 TDs.  You know lol Jay Cutler numbers. 

Side note, I could see St Louis in the second round, but I do still think that's "nightmare senerio" for him.  Then again it wouldn't be the first team to roll the dice on a guy early so you really do never know. 

Quote from: Cory on January 02, 2010, 01:04:15 PM
and on Tebows abilitiy to pass.....he showed last night, 483 passing yards against a tough Cincinatti D.

Ill admit he has not SHOWN that he can pass, as usually in more frequent games he would pass for 1-2 TD's and rush for 1-2 TD's and get pulled. I mean, averaging 3 TD's a game for 4 years.....thats definatly NOT what Im looking for in a QB.

Get real.....I would love to see Tebow drafted to my Philly Eagles....my favourite player playing for my team.....but Philly's playbook is too different....and their style of o-line wouldn't work. Now think about Tebow going to Vikings with Harvin. Vikings have a deadly o-line....and Tebow could learn from Favre in his last year.

Malic

Alright I don't see him going in the first round even though I'd take him number one over all. any guy who can say "We are winning thing game and I'm going to do it by myself if I have to." and does it belongs on my team. Tim might just have an open door to some god and he is doing what he can with it. BTW I haven't been in a church in 10 years. And I was only in one to get my daughter out of it. Tim will make it in the NFL no matter what he does but I agree that if Jacksonville was smart they would take him just for the money he would bring in.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Bryan Payne on January 02, 2010, 06:41:55 PM
lol, would that be the same offensive line that the last four weeks seems incapable of pass blocking to save their lives?  The one that created that whole drama with the coach wanting to pull Farve because they couldn't keep him on his feet?  Or the Brett Farve who wouldn't mentor Aaron Rodgers and was quite public about not giving a shit if he learned the ropes or not?  Yes 483 passing yards against a team they admited, while favoring them against Florida btw, that they had one of the worst defensive units in the country.  Forgive me if I don't take that as a glowing crowning of his "golden arm".  Ultimately it was again mostly that slant style of route running that doesn't translate well to the NFL level and leads to 25 INTs and 3 TDs.  You know lol Jay Cutler numbers. 

Side note, I could see St Louis in the second round, but I do still think that's "nightmare senerio" for him.  Then again it wouldn't be the first team to roll the dice on a guy early so you really do never know. 

I am basing it on St. Louis because looking at the NFL teams in top 3 picks for the draft, Bucs and Lions have options at QB, Rams dont. If Rams get the first pick, I can see them trading down to allow them to get someone like a Tebow later on and getting something else back in return.