News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

NFL Offseason/Draft Thread

Started by Cory, February 11, 2010, 10:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

So yeah, things are starting to take shape this offseason, so here will be the place we discuss.

- Kurt Warner retires from the Arizona Cardinals
- Torry Holt & Tra Thomas released by the Jags
- Antionio Pierce release by the Giants

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Bryan Payne

Unless someone projected to go high first round falls for some reason... I don't expect the Cardinals will draft a QB.  Much more likely that they'll pick up some journyman free agent to back up Leinhart and give him a season to show what he's got.  If he doesn't do well it's pretty obvious it's him and not the team as that offense is pretty much stacked.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona draft on the o-line or perhaps running back to try to balance the offense out to compensate for the loss of warner.

Hondo

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Holt/Thomas releases. This tends to happen in the offseason, when teams will cut the big contracts of veterans who, while still very serviceable, aren't worth the money their contracts will be paying them. You can argue that both Holt and Thomas aren't exactly in their prime. Both are still very capable players, but they probably had huge contracts that were easy to jettison (I won't pretend to know how much those guys were getting paid). That's life in the NFL.

I also don't see Arizona taking a QB high in the Draft. Unless they have zero faith in Leinart, he's the guy starting the 2010 season. They'll probably go out and sign a JT O'Sullivan type to back him up and spot-start if Leinart were to struggle. Or maybe they'll  draft a QB in the late rounds, but taking late round QBs is a big gamble. My guess is, they let Leinart prove himself this season, and if he washes out, they may go after a trade at QB or get one in the draft.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Cory

Well, who do you all think the Rams are going to take first in the draft?

I think it had to be Suh, as he has the potential to be Albert Haynsworth or even better.

Hondo

IMO, Suh is the safest choice in the Draft. But you wag a potential Blue Chip quarterback in a team's face and they spread their legs like cheap whores. That being said, they're gonna be tempted HARD by McCoy. And in the end, they just may take him. But assuming they can scrape one or two more years out of Bulger, they'll likely have no choice but to take Suh.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Cory

Whose gonna be the first QB taken?

Bradford?
Clausen?
McCoy?
Tebow?

I think Bradford honestly.....but maybe McCoy? I dobt CLausen as he didn't play against the teams that Bradford/McCoy did in his career.

Bryan Payne

I think the round robbin injuries might just make these guys slip a few spots under what everyone is currently projecting.  Bradford had that bad injury early in the season and he's not going to even be AT the combine.  That could hurt him even when he's ready to work out for individual teams...  McCoy might well be the first one picked because of that, and lingering doubts in Tebow as an NFL quarterback. 

Cory

LT Released from the Chargers
Westbrook Released from the Eagles

Bryan Payne

Westbrook isn't a shocker...  he almost became the forgotten man and injuries have robbed him of some of what made him such a potent offensive weapon for so many years.  I think they're sold on that young guy they have right now and it's part of the "new eagles" building a new offense around those young players they have on that side of the ball.

Cory

Sadly, I have to agree. Though Westbrook before hand IMO 2nd best reciving back of all time behind Marshall Faulk, he didn't have a full season left in him anymore.

LT leaving wasn't a surprise.....but if Sproles goes too they might have a problem.

Bryan Payne

Yeah that offense is built around a big time running threat.  If they lose that?  Gah..  IMO they really need to target a running back hard in this draft.  Because I like Sproles but they'll run him out within a couple seasons if there's not someone to share the load, as small as he is.

Ash Bombay

I personally see the Rams shocking the world and taking Bradford with the number 1 pick.  Bradford bulked up, he is scarey accurate, and has deceptive arm strength. Suh and McCoy are beasts, and defense when's championships, but I think Bradford is going to be the face of the franchise for years to come, which they need to rebuild and improve.

I also think another surprise is going to be Toby Gerhart from Standford. He's a big back with deceptive speed. His knock is being a white running back, but I think who ever picks him up in the second or third round is going to have an impact player. I hope he sneaks in the well deserved first round, but if the Chargers get him in the second or third round he'll be a good transition from LT.

Cory

Eh, some Lineman got 45 reps on the bench today

Cory

Delhomme Released from the Panthers
Coles Released from the Bengals

Rumored:
Julius Peppers & Chester Taylor to the Bears
Nate Burleson & Van Den Bosch to the Lions
Weaver re-signs with Philly

Hondo

Coles wasn't a surprise. He really underperformed last season an wasnt the replacement for Houshmandzadeh we had hoped he would be. The big rumor around here right now is T.O., and since he and Ocho are good buddies, it may happen. All I know is, they need a deep field threat. I don't know that at TO's age, he's that kinda threat anymore.

Personally, I'd rather have Kevin Walter back if they're gonna settle for Owens.